Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 4, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2021, 06:29 PM   #13951
thechickencow
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16840
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: CO
Vehicle:
17 4Runner

Default

Iíd usually spend $1500-2k a weekend in the late Ď00ís rallying. Not counting the car.

If you consider hours per dollar spent Iím 100% certain the virtual racing is cheaper by a ton.

That said - rally was one of the coolest things Iíve ever done.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
thechickencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #13952
Fish
RIP Sirkbac
 
Member#: 869
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Southern NH
Vehicle:
1984 GPZ-750 TURBO
90' MX-5/11' DGM STi Sdn

Default PC master race v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcblues View Post
Needs some stickers.



That's all I got.



And a G25. Slumming it.


The various pieces came with 16 various fanatecs.. and I have a bunch of other automotive stickers because my toolbox has sparse free real estate left
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #13953
pornie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5620
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MKE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
I'd usually spend $1500-2k a weekend in the late ***8216;00's rallying. Not counting rolling the car...

fiksed.
pornie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #13954
pornie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5620
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MKE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan View Post
I thought it would be cool too, but the amount of running I do in games I would be dead, maybe I'd get in great shape though
i'd need an ashtray.. would it adjust automatically as i crouch up and down?
pornie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:12 AM   #13955
johnnyb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57593
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Stay Classy, CA
Vehicle:
2015 Crosstrek XV
DGM

Default

I work from home and gaming is my main source of entertainment now that rona numbers are crazy in SD. I'm not even going to the store or golfing so now seemed like as good of time as any to build a new PC.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:24 AM   #13956
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Irvine
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
I work from home and gaming is my main source of entertainment now that rona numbers are crazy in SD. I'm not even going to the store or golfing so now seemed like as good of time as any to build a new PC.
Good time as any as far as what's going on in the world around us? Definitely.

Good time as any as far as actually available stock on PC parts? Hellllll nah

I'm in the same boat as you, WFH, barely leave the house except to go get groceries, itching to build a new PC but can't be bothered to fight all the bots and scalpers to get parts
YungBoba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:58 AM   #13957
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Whitinsville, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Escape from Tarkov would keep you in great shape. In game, your character has a sprint and endurance mechanic and a need to hydrate and consume food.
I love watching my buddies stream Tarkov over Discord. It's my new favorite show! Plus they allow for audience participation: "Okay, Chano. Should I escape with what I have now, or loot some more? I got the Skav kills I need." I'm always like, "Bruh, RUN!!!!" And sometimes they're like, ".... But I'm greedy!"

It's also fun because one buddy is Russian, and parts of the game remind me of Alaska. So it's kinda like going home, but without the commitment.

I got a new PC because of how things are and I'm sitting at home more. Plus I can't find an Xbox Series X or PS5 anywhere, and I really don't want to continue playing Forza Horizon 4 on my roommate's Xbox, especially when he gets married. A built PC just seemed like a convenient fix.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #13958
Akirasoft
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2973
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Inverness, IL
Vehicle:
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechickencow View Post
Iíd usually spend $1500-2k a weekend in the late Ď00ís rallying. Not counting the car.

If you consider hours per dollar spent Iím 100% certain the virtual racing is cheaper by a ton.

That said - rally was one of the coolest things Iíve ever done.
I still have that old ass ralliart stickered helmet somewhere...
Akirasoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 01:37 PM   #13959
johnnyb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57593
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Stay Classy, CA
Vehicle:
2015 Crosstrek XV
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
I love watching my buddies stream Tarkov over Discord. It's my new favorite show! Plus they allow for audience participation: "Okay, Chano. Should I escape with what I have now, or loot some more? I got the Skav kills I need." I'm always like, "Bruh, RUN!!!!" And sometimes they're like, ".... But I'm greedy!"

It's also fun because one buddy is Russian, and parts of the game remind me of Alaska. So it's kinda like going home, but without the commitment.

I got a new PC because of how things are and I'm sitting at home more. Plus I can't find an Xbox Series X or PS5 anywhere, and I really don't want to continue playing Forza Horizon 4 on my roommate's Xbox, especially when he gets married. A built PC just seemed like a convenient fix.
My one gripe is the load times are super long but yeah, it's an intense game and the AI bots are pretty nasty compared to PUBG which I was trying to get back into playing but am basically done with at this point.

I was hoping my SSDs would show up yesterday, but it looks like it will be tomorrow so I'll start building my PC this week.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:16 PM   #13960
Vart
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 325031
Join Date: Jul 2012
Vehicle:
2014 Forester XT

Default

Anyone interested in an HTPC? I built a new one for the living room and have to use for this. Not the most powerful machine, but it still works fine for Plex, YouTube, etc.

Specs:

Case: Silverstone ML03B
Motherboard: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35
Processor: AMD A10-5700
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw 4GB
Main drive: Samsung 840 120GB
Storage drive: Western Digital WD10EURX
Blu Ray drive: Asus BC-12B1ST
Power Supply: Antec EA-380D

Shoot me an offer if you're interested.
Vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:53 PM   #13961
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Irvine
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

I signed up for EVGA's queue system for 3060 and 3070 models last night. 3080 and above is too pricey for me. Peeped at r/EVGA on Reddit and people who entered the queue in late October/early November are finally getting their opportunities to order, so at this rate, I should be able to get one by late March/early April or so
YungBoba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 10:25 PM   #13962
OrbitalEllipses
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 178811
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
2011 White Corolla
Over 400hp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungBoba View Post
I signed up for EVGA's queue system for 3060 and 3070 models last night. 3080 and above is too pricey for me. Peeped at r/EVGA on Reddit and people who entered the queue in late October/early November are finally getting their opportunities to order, so at this rate, I should be able to get one by late March/early April or so
I got into the 3080 hybrid queue when it reopened. It's fruitless...check the queue spreadsheets to see about where you are. There's hundreds if not thousands of people for some cards.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:03 AM   #13963
Psychoreo
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 79643
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: The internet
Vehicle:
2021 STI TE
Terminal black pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I got into the 3080 hybrid queue when it reopened. It's fruitless...check the queue spreadsheets to see about where you are. There's hundreds if not thousands of people for some cards.
I'd love to see how their production works. It's not like they're making 1-2 of these a day.....
Psychoreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:02 PM   #13964
YodaIsGod
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 15197
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Vehicle:
2018 Honda Accord EX

Default

Your guys thoughts on PNY brand GPU's? Overall that is.
YodaIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 02:10 PM   #13965
johnnyb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57593
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Stay Classy, CA
Vehicle:
2015 Crosstrek XV
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaIsGod View Post
Your guys thoughts on PNY brand GPU's? Overall that is.
Newegg reviews are usually where I look.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:01 PM   #13966
pornie
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 5620
Join Date: Apr 2001
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: MKE
Default

i've run cheap PNY dedicated in the past for people that weren't looking to game. they did what was needed.
pornie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #13967
GrundleJuice
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 165749
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Detroit, MF'er!
Default

I had a PNY something or another, around 2002ish, AMD I am pretty sure. It was loud but performed about average for the family of cards.

Edit: maybe it was a sapphire. Not sure.

Last edited by GrundleJuice; 01-19-2021 at 11:23 PM.
GrundleJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:27 PM   #13968
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Irvine
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

It seems like the general consensus among nerdy bois about PNY is that they're less desirable than the "top tier" of AIB partners. Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte, MSI seem to be the big dogs with PNY being a step below. They generally have less SKUs of each model and a lot of people say their cards are inferior in quality, design (loud/hot), and OC potential.

I've never had one of their products myself, mind you, just echoing what a lot of other people have said. They are based in the USA if that matters to anyone. Personally I wouldn't buy one of their cards but that's mainly because I think they're ugly as hell.
YungBoba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #13969
Rexican
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 156229
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore
Default

Woot. I just picked up at Bestbuy a RTX 3080 MSI Ventus. Awesome Sauce. Now I need to figure out how to power that thing. Don't these cards use a different power pin configuration?
Rexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:49 PM   #13970
Reflex-Arc
Lord of the Gif
 
Member#: 1703
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: one frame at a time
Vehicle:
2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
Bianco

Default

They will use 3x 8 pin. You don't want to use the daisy chain 8 pin cables. You will want to use individual cables.
Reflex-Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:17 PM   #13971
shaw169
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 120088
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: SoMD
Vehicle:
2001 Z3
Silver

Default

That card is only 2-8pin power connectors. +1 on using dedicated cables.

I have some left over from my build of you need just those, since I bought cablemod sleeved ones but the power supply came with them as well.

I'll get the pictures up this weekend, very happy with how it turned out.
shaw169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:19 PM   #13972
johnnyb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57593
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Stay Classy, CA
Vehicle:
2015 Crosstrek XV
DGM

Default

I'm waiting for my SSDs. I guess it's a UPS shipment but it gets transferred to the post office and they just sit on it for a week.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #13973
Rexican
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 156229
Join Date: Aug 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Baltimore
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw169 View Post
That card is only 2-8pin power connectors. +1 on using dedicated cables.

I have some left over from my build of you need just those, since I bought cablemod sleeved ones but the power supply came with them as well.

I'll get the pictures up this weekend, very happy with how it turned out.
I currently have a eggs 650 platinum (Intel 8700k)

Should I upgrade to 750 or 850? I think it might be alone to just pass.
Rexican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #13974
johnnyb
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57593
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Stay Classy, CA
Vehicle:
2015 Crosstrek XV
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexican View Post
I currently have a eggs 650 platinum (Intel 8700k)

Should I upgrade to 750 or 850? I think it might be alone to just pass.
Quote:
750W
The GeForce RTX 3080 is rated for 350W of total board power, and Nvidia recommends using a 750W power supply with it. That's a lot more than prior-gen Founders Edition graphics cards required. The GTX 1080 needed only a 500W power supply, while the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti required a 650W PSU.Sep 18, 2020


850W is recommended for the 3090.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #13975
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Irvine
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexican View Post
Woot. I just picked up at Bestbuy a RTX 3080 MSI Ventus. Awesome Sauce. Now I need to figure out how to power that thing. Don't these cards use a different power pin configuration?
Did you just walk in and find one on the shelf or did you happen to get lucky with an online drop and did the "pick up in store" option?

I'm gonna go to Micro Center tomorrow. Not expecting there to be anything, mostly just want to shop around and look at other general PC parts, but lowkey hoping that I'll somehow strike gold and snag a card
YungBoba is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.