Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday January 18, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors > Non-Subaru News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2018, 07:12 PM   #376
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather2112 View Post
$40k for what will be a barebones model, ****ty seats, and probably ****ty brakes with a crap diff (guessing). That 4 banger damn well better have some room left in the engine for more power and not have little issues like most BMW engines.
I bet it will be decently equipped.


Probably mostly the same seats, just cloth or leatherette with basic power functions and maybe heaters. High end model will be leather with 9,000 way adjustable pulsating nut massagers with heating and cooling.

But the basic seat frame, cushion etc... will be the same. It's too low volume to be one off. Brakes, guessing will be like the WRX/STI where the Brembos are overkill for most people, but just look great. Guessing 18's while the turbo is on 19 or maybe even 20's (19/20 stagger maybe?). Diff will probably be a similar unit, but the turbo will be an E-LSD while non turbo makes do with regular open diff. Audio will probably be a basic touch screen with back up camera on both models, but adding NAV and around car view on the turbo.


Wonder how much of this I guess right on?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:01 PM   #377
4S-TURBO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Castle Grayscale
Vehicle:
1980 Ferrari Turbo
Pando Periwinkle Pearl

Default

The M240i starts at $46k. Should a Toyota with similar performance cost more or less?
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:20 PM   #378
quentinberg007
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7887
Join Date: Jun 2001
Vehicle:
2016 Toyota 4Runner
Barcelona Red

Default Toyota to revive Supra nameplate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaslayer View Post
I bet it will be decently equipped.





Probably mostly the same seats, just cloth or leatherette with basic power functions and maybe heaters. High end model will be leather with 9,000 way adjustable pulsating nut massagers with heating and cooling.



But the basic seat frame, cushion etc... will be the same. It's too low volume to be one off. Brakes, guessing will be like the WRX/STI where the Brembos are overkill for most people, but just look great. Guessing 18's while the turbo is on 19 or maybe even 20's (19/20 stagger maybe?). Diff will probably be a similar unit, but the turbo will be an E-LSD while non turbo makes do with regular open diff. Audio will probably be a basic touch screen with back up camera on both models, but adding NAV and around car view on the turbo.





Wonder how much of this I guess right on?


Well, for starters, there won’t be a non-turbo version.

My guess is that they will throw LSDs on all of them. The 86 has one, after all. They may even have the fancy torque vectoring diff of the RC-F on the GRMN version.
quentinberg007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:43 PM   #379
Hondaslayer
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
2014 Electric Datsun
2005 Adventure van

Default

Turbo 4.

Brain was stuck in old Supra mode for a minute.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 01:53 AM   #380
hi5.0
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 340456
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Vehicle:
2013 Impreza

Default

Those 3/4 views of the Supra makes it look weird - the green house vs the bubble roof shape and the way the rear fender/haunches meet the trunk/hatch panels gives the car a awkward stubby appearance. Not a fan.
hi5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #381
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Vehicle:
2007 STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

... I was really hoping to like the final result, but it looks like an ugly flat billed hat - like the R35 and 370z. That and the fact it'll be powered by a BMW motor = ugly money pit.

To those who love it, enjoy it!
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #382
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2018 M2 LCI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinWhitePearl View Post
... I was really hoping to like the final result, but it looks like an ugly flat billed hat - like the R35 and 370z. That and the fact it'll be powered by a BMW motor = ugly money pit.

To those who love it, enjoy it!
The old twin turbo N54 was problematic but the newer BMW inline 6 engines have been pretty reliable. The N55 engine is bulletproof and the B58 (the engine I assume will be in this car) is actually more robust as it has a close deck block vs the open deck block of the N55 as well as air to liquid intercooling. I expect that this engine should be fairly mod friendly.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/28/b...e-even-better/
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #383
JBLU24
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 97503
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Queens, NY
Default

I dont know if its the camera angles but it looks way too narrow.... the old Supra had a wide body GT look to it
I'll reserve judgement til I see one in person I guess......
JBLU24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:26 PM   #384
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Vehicle:
2007 STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
The old twin turbo N54 was problematic but the newer BMW inline 6 engines have been pretty reliable. The N55 engine is bulletproof and the B58 (the engine I assume will be in this car) is actually more robust as it has a close deck block vs the open deck block of the N55 as well as air to liquid intercooling. I expect that this engine should be fairly mod friendly.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/28/b...e-even-better/
Perhaps, only time will tell! Mainly, I hope the HPFP issues have been fully rectified; I don't post on Bimmerpost so much anymore, but I remember those 'horror' stories well.
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:17 PM   #385
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2018 M2 LCI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinWhitePearl View Post
Perhaps, only time will tell! Mainly, I hope the HPFP issues have been fully rectified; I don't post on Bimmerpost so much anymore, but I remember those 'horror' stories well.
The HPFP issue has was rectified near the end of the N54 life cycle. Time has come and gone over the life cycle of the N55 and it's not an issue.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #386
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinWhitePearl View Post
... I was really hoping to like the final result, but it looks like an ugly flat billed hat - like the R35 and 370z. That and the fact it'll be powered by a BMW motor = ugly money pit.

To those who love it, enjoy it!
Hmm, went 250,000 miles combined on two BMW motors without an issue.
VarmintCong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #387
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k | 14 BRZ (SSC)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
Hmm, went 250,000 miles combined on two BMW motors without an issue.
Just depends on the engines... Some (many) are good. Some (a handful) gave BMW its recent "bad engines" reputation.

--kC
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #388
Sid03SVT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 183032
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT
Vehicle:
OLD Family Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Just depends on the engines... Some (many) are good. Some (a handful) gave BMW its recent "bad engines" reputation.

--kC
From my reading during my brief consideration of owning a BMW - the fun ones are bad, and the boring ones are good, and I didn't want to own a car with a boring one, and I don't want to lease, so no BMW for me.
Sid03SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #389
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Vehicle:
2007 STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong View Post
Hmm, went 250,000 miles combined on two BMW motors without an issue.
Good for you!

I had most of my Vanos system fail, the fuel pump and some other solenoid fail all in 'under' 30k miles. They also replaced door panels, the rear shelf, my steering wheel, and numerous trim pieces on my '05 BMW 330Ci ZHP for inexplicably peeling. I stand by my statements. I've never truly considered owning another, the day I sold my ZHP was a good day. At least it was pretty while I owned it.
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #390
SatinWhitePearl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 170780
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Vehicle:
2007 STi
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD View Post
The HPFP issue has was rectified near the end of the N54 life cycle. Time has come and gone over the life cycle of the N55 and it's not an issue.
That's quite refreshing to hear and I heard the B58 is quite a beast as well. Did the M2 get two different motors, aside from the S55?

I believe one was N55 and the other B58?
SatinWhitePearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #391
fredzy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 317270
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Vehicle:
15 WRX
and a Sienna

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLU24 View Post
I dont know if its the camera angles but it looks way too narrow.... the old Supra had a wide body GT look to it
I'll reserve judgement til I see one in person I guess......
I have a feeling it will be one of those cars that looks way, way better in person. And I don't really hate anything about it as-is.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #392
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2018 M2 LCI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinWhitePearl View Post
That's quite refreshing to hear and I heard the B58 is quite a beast as well. Did the M2 get two different motors, aside from the S55?

I believe one was N55 and the other B58?
Nope. The B58 is now used in the M240i but never the M2. The M2 from 2016-18 got the N55 and the 2019 M2 Competition gets the S55. The N55 in the M2 differs slightly from the rest of the N55's in the BMW family in that it has the forged crankshaft, connecting rods, piston rings all from the S55 and a revised oil pan, additional oil drain pump, and oil coolers. That said the B58 has a more robust block and slightly larger turbo so it should be able to hit 400 hp in performance models. It's a good engine and if Toyota can keep the weight and price point down I think this car could be a pretty decent option for those that want something better than the current hot hatches but doesn't want to spend over $50-60k but time will tell.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:41 PM   #393
VarmintCong
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 379605
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peabody, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Civic Sport
2012 Outback 2.5

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinWhitePearl View Post
Good for you!

I had most of my Vanos system fail, the fuel pump and some other solenoid fail all in 'under' 30k miles. They also replaced door panels, the rear shelf, my steering wheel, and numerous trim pieces on my '05 BMW 330Ci ZHP for inexplicably peeling. I stand by my statements. I've never truly considered owning another, the day I sold my ZHP was a good day. At least it was pretty while I owned it.
VANOS was replaced on my '04 ZHP, thanks for reminding me (at like 15k miles for the rattle - it made no difference). Both cars had plenty of issues just not engine issues. I don't like recent BMWs enough to buy them.
VarmintCong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:50 AM   #394
Optimus Prime
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69847
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Cybertron
Vehicle:
2017 AMG C43

Default

Optimus Prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #395
vapore0n
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21356
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Can't catch me!
Vehicle:
2017 Subaru Corolla
STI Limited SE-R Type (R)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post


maybe the car will look better in person
vapore0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #396
godfather2112
Papi Chulo
Moderator
 
Member#: 53794
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Boner kill city
Vehicle:
... White Magic
Jesus Underwear

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
Eesh, no bueno. Either the front is too long for the rear or the rear is too short from the front. Regardless, it looks like they took a good looking front end from one car, a good looking back and from another, slapped it together and called it a day.
godfather2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:36 AM   #397
Scooby-Doode
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 28976
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New York
Vehicle:
2016 Step 2 Push
Buggy GT

Default

Front is meh. Rear and side are nice. I bet TRD will come out with a full line of accessories, ala BMW Performance Pack/Kit. By that I mean visual aesthetics (CF splitter, spoiler, interior bits, etc), ECU upgrade for more boost, exhaust, wheels, Suspension, Short throw shifter etc.

Reading that Jalopnik article makes me think they will introduce the M motor at some point depending on how well the car sells.
Scooby-Doode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #398
Masterauto
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 198376
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Delaware
Vehicle:
17 Alfa GiuliaTi S
Nissan GT-R 15,ZR2 ML TDI

Default

Toyota and BMW joined forces to build sports car for 1 big reason. Sports cars don't sell in any great numbers as FRS/BRZ shows. That being said wait 1 years and you can choose version at big discount.
Masterauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #399
heavyD
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 194216
Join Date: Nov 2008
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Vehicle:
2018 M2 LCI

Default

I don't think it looks too bad. It will probably look a lot better in person and it's going to stand out on the streets.
heavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #400
Genericuser1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 378822
Join Date: Jan 2014
Vehicle:
2006 Mini Van
Does it matter?

Default

The problem I have is it's a rebadged Z4 it's not a Supra. Other than slight tweaks/tuning there isn't a lot of difference (Coupe of course is the only real difference).

This will be easily over $50k well optioned at that point I'd just buy something else.
Genericuser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toyota registers the Supra name....Again. mhoward1 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 19 08-09-2010 08:39 AM
Toyota to Revive MR2 as Hybrid Competitor to Honda CR-Z? AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 12 06-24-2010 10:53 AM
Rolls-Royce revives Ghost nameplate for upcoming RR4 sedan AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 14 04-06-2010 03:52 PM
Holden, Toyota To Revive Apollo/Lexcen “Agreement AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 7 04-01-2009 06:16 AM
Honda to revive Insight nameplate on Prius-rivaling hybrid, other details emerge AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 7 06-18-2008 03:37 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.