Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #76
walker164
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 298765
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP

Fantastic article. Looking at getting new brakes because I really need some!
walker164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #77
notectasi1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 366277

great post
notectasi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #78
blubug_768
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324962
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
02 WRX

Good info, but how do you tell if a pad is sintered or semi-metallic? Where do you get the info of friction coefficient vs temp? I'm about to through DS2.11s and SRF at my poor little 4/2pots, but I really don't want to spend all that money if something else will suit my needs.
blubug_768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:11 AM   #79
KNS Brakes
Former Vendor

Member#: 125739
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2007 1500HD
Need Brakes? 919.420.0021

Sintered is a semi-metallic - with all metal.

DATA ON BRAKES PADS IS NOT ALWAYS RELEASED NOR BELIEVABLE IF IT IS RELEASED.

I do not know why - but it's probably because we will immediately screw them if they fail and they will.

So you read with a grain of salt - and react to what occurs.

With tires/skill and long sessions on a Subaru - those 4 pots will try there best to catch on fire. Buy an appropriate pad - but in your case there really is none so ....go for best case scenario (cheaper).

In your shape(s) Ferodo's are expensive. And on your car/brake setup - nothing will last driven hard.
KNS Brakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:29 AM   #80
blubug_768
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 324962
Vehicle:
02 WRX

Thanks for the quick reply.
That last statement gets to me because it proven to be ture. I need something to fit under 15s, but I want something that can take a beating for more than a day. $400 pads and $280/gal fluid isn't worth it if it doesn't last
blubug_768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #81
KNS Brakes
Former Vendor

Vehicle:
2007 1500HD

Hawk has the best price on a real track pad in your shape.

DTC - 60 front/HT-10 rear

PFC lists the -11's but....

My gravel rotors in front might help -good bit more mass - but if you are really tracking - get bigger brakes.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #82
mkvaron
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326317
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX hatch
SSM

Great article!!! Lots of good info I wish I had going through my first couple sets of pads!
mkvaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:53 PM   #83
CodyLovesSubie
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 374345
Vehicle:
'17 Forester XT QBP
'97 GC8 BDP

Default Help

Trying to create forum. BUMP
CodyLovesSubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #84
dcb4life88
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 379049
Default good thread

awsome thread going here
dcb4life88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #85
ctrlaltdel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 372323
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STi
charcoal grey

Default Thanks!

Hey guys. Thanks for the article. New hear and hoping to get alot of valuable information. New to the performance vehicle scene. Bought an 08 STI and absolutlely love it. Thanks again.
ctrlaltdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:36 PM   #86
skater532
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 382437

like alot. really helped
skater532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #87
agmike98
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 378003
Vehicle:
2003 WRX wagon

As many hundreds of times as I'm sure this has been asked...

What brake pads should I buy? {duck}. I'm leaning towards Hawk Ceramics, but considering the StopTechs. Or basically anything else (since I have no first hand experience and am just reacting to what I've read here).

'03 WRX wagon used as a daily driver. Somewhat spirited / stupid. May or may not ever do an autocross. Basically no chance of a track day. Planning to buy some Centric Rotors and some kind of pads from KNS. I live in South Louisiana, so "cold" is almost never below 50F though water is common. I don't know how cold ceramic pads have to be to grab really poorly. I don't drive through standing water often enough that I figure slotted rotors are necessary (though I'd be interested to hear if someone claims they are helpful in rainy climates).

I'm not one to polish my car weekly, so a bit of brake dust isn't the end of the world. Less is still better than more.
agmike98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:35 AM   #88
KNS Brakes
Former Vendor

Vehicle:
2007 1500HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmike98 View Post
As many hundreds of times as I'm sure this has been asked...

What brake pads should I buy? {duck}. I'm leaning towards Hawk Ceramics, but considering the StopTechs. Or basically anything else (since I have no first hand experience and am just reacting to what I've read here).

'03 WRX wagon used as a daily driver. Somewhat spirited / stupid. May or may not ever do an autocross. Basically no chance of a track day. Planning to buy some Centric Rotors and some kind of pads from KNS. I live in South Louisiana, so "cold" is almost never below 50F though water is common. I don't know how cold ceramic pads have to be to grab really poorly. I don't drive through standing water often enough that I figure slotted rotors are necessary (though I'd be interested to hear if someone claims they are helpful in rainy climates).

I'm not one to polish my car weekly, so a bit of brake dust isn't the end of the world. Less is still better than more.

Your coldest temperatures will never be an issue.

Buy the Hawk Ceramics if you want a very low dust pad that still maintains some performance. Centric Posi-Quiets might even be good enough at a much lower cost.

Buy the Stoptech pads if you want to add some bite to your braking. They grab noticeably harder than 'stock' type stuff and will take modest abuse. They are however pretty dusty and some users get judder or the 'warped' sensation that seems to occur most often when not used hard enough.

Match them up with the Centric Premium rotors, a fluid flush and you'll be set.

-Ken
Old 03-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #89
STi_Doc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 405663
Vehicle:
2015 WRX STi
Dark Gray Metallic

Thanks for this article. After reviewing many posts I am leaning to Ferodo DS2500s. I am looking for a daily driver pad but able to take to track rarely to occasionally. I have a stock '15 STi, and my first track day is next month in Bowling Green and would like to drive there from Nashville without changing pads. Any opinions on this option or would an alternative pad be helpful?
STi_Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #90
nick@knsbrakes
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 406718

Quote:
Originally Posted by STi_Doc View Post
Thanks for this article. After reviewing many posts I am leaning to Ferodo DS2500s. I am looking for a daily driver pad but able to take to track rarely to occasionally. I have a stock '15 STi, and my first track day is next month in Bowling Green and would like to drive there from Nashville without changing pads. Any opinions on this option or would an alternative pad be helpful?
Yes the Ferodos are a good pad for exactly what you're doing. Has a large heat range, they will work for what you're trying to accomplish.

-Nick
nick@knsbrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #91
sorzantd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 40563
Vehicle:
02 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default pad comparison table?

I've looked for this, but can't seem to find a matrix/table that compiles the different brake pad brands/compounds available for different driving needs.

I read the sticky "how to choose the best street and track pad" article which was awesome. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1841359

And I thought I had found what I was looking for, but the table lacks any guidance to the manufacturers and/or compounds that would fit the bill under each driving category. The summary table at the end of that article would be perfect if it also had available pads listed for each category.

Does a comparison table of the different pad brands and compounds exist out there?
sorzantd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #92
imcausinmadrukis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 318978

After reading this article I think I would need Ceramic brakes pads since I use my car only for daily commute.

My next question is what brake pad brand and style would you recommend?

2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Prem 5-door. My car is about reaching its 4th year and I have a baby on the way so I want to make sure my car is safe and secure! =)

I was looking at amazon (Free 2-day Prime Shipping of course).

Can any DM or post a link of any decent reasonable priced ones?

Looking to replace them next week.

Thanks!
imcausinmadrukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #93
imcausinmadrukis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 318978

Took my car in to the tire shop and said I had 5MM left on all 4 brake pads. At what MM should I look into replacing them?
imcausinmadrukis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #94
KNS Brakes
Former Vendor

Vehicle:
2007 1500HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcausinmadrukis View Post
Took my car in to the tire shop and said I had 5MM left on all 4 brake pads. At what MM should I look into replacing them?
Service limit is usually listed as 2 mm.

New is about 9-10 depending on car - so you have 3 left out of about 7-8 new or 25% or so. No hurry - but getting near time to plan. You used 70% or so - how many miles since last change.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #95
SSkrobarczyk396
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 434778

Great read! Know a lot more about pads now. Thanks OP
SSkrobarczyk396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #96
Bookem74
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 174481
Vehicle:
98 Legacy GT-T

Looking for opinions on front brake pads on my 09 Legacy 2.5I, car will most likely never be used for sporty driving but cold bite would be top priority living in Minnesota. Low brake dust would be a close second priority and 3rd would be low noise. Thanks in advance
Bookem74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #97
KNS Brakes
Former Vendor

Vehicle:
2007 1500HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookem74 View Post
Looking for opinions on front brake pads on my 09 Legacy 2.5I, car will most likely never be used for sporty driving but cold bite would be top priority living in Minnesota. Low brake dust would be a close second priority and 3rd would be low noise. Thanks in advance
Hawk HPS 5.0 pads are great for when you want to something that can handle spirited driving. They're not a super low dusting pads but they are certainly not as dusty as the original HPS pads or the StopTech pads. They are low noise and if installed correctly they shouldn't make any noise. Works great in all temperatures and dont' require warm up to work.

We have your full car set in stock here @KNS Brakes.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #98
Bookem74
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 174481
Vehicle:
98 Legacy GT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS Brakes View Post
Hawk HPS 5.0 pads are great for when you want to something that can handle spirited driving. They're not a super low dusting pads but they are certainly not as dusty as the original HPS pads or the StopTech pads. They are low noise and if installed correctly they shouldn't make any noise. Works great in all temperatures and dont' require warm up to work.

We have your full car set in stock here @KNS Brakes.
Excellent price as well, will be putting my order in tomorrow, thank you!
Bookem74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #99
RicoHuang
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 453867

I wish I have seen this post sooner! Thank you!!
RicoHuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:55 PM   #100
Fb20impreza
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477932

Definitely helpful, I’ll be buying brake pads myself soon!
Fb20impreza is offline   Reply With Quote