Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 30, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
LoganG1K
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 78618
Default bc valvetrain or bc cam and supertech springs and valves

I am trying to decide between a set of brian crower stg 2 cams, valves, single springs or brian crower stg 2 cams, supertech valves and dual springs. This is going to go on a axis street series 2.5l block with forged pistons and stock rotating assembly. I am going to go with a sz55 or a 30r but right now here is what I have:
2005 wrx with a 2.5l stage 2 raw/axis motor (forged pistons) 7200 rpm limit
wrx heads P&P by crucial with +1mm in/ex valves valves not purchased or installed yet
P&P vf-48 by crucial
synic equal length header
crucial uppipe/38mm tial ewg
crucial dp
crucial catless midpipe
erz catback
ssac fmic crucial coated with thermal dispersant coating
aps dual vent bov
gimmick crank pulley
gimmick afta maf/turbo inlet hose
cobb sf intake
spec-c tgv deletes
750cc dw injectors, gmbcs

I know the turbo is way little for this setup but I had the heads off and decided to let crucial go to work on them. I want this to be the last time the motor has to be taken out of the car.

BC setup is 119 dollars cheaper than BC/supertech and ron at raw/axis says that the bc springs are a bit light but he can shim them to make them more taught

Last edited by LoganG1K; 06-13-2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: prices
LoganG1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
jaxscuby
Sammo Hung

Member#: 10613
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 USDM WRX
WRB

i would follow cam manufacturer's recommendation as
far what valve springs you need. but stage 2 does not
require double valve springs.
jaxscuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
Dom'sGurl
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 150837
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT
Blue

Supertech springs all the way. The BC springs aren't very good. They aren't much stiffer than the stock springs. I'm sure if you looked around you could find some threads covering the BC springs and their pressures.
Dom'sGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #4
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 3MI Racing
search FIRST, then PM!!!

looking at the spring rates again after having talked with dom, I started doing some comparisons between companies...the BC's really aren't that bad. A great bang for the buck, but if you are going a little on the crazy side for boost or cam, I'd recommend a higher spring rate.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
LoganG1K
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 78618

here are the cam specs: Adv. Dur.: 272°/272° Dur @ .050: 222°/222° Lift (in): .400"/.400" 10.16/10.16: 10.16/10.16. Red line isn't going to be over 7500rpm. The turbo will be a superzilla 55 or maybe if I have some spare money a 30r.
I have pretty much talked myself into the supertech setup. It's only $120 more.
LoganG1K is offline   Reply With Quote