Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 30, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-05-2018, 05:42 AM   #1
fifapro23
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 484112
Default 2015+ transmission fluid change

Hey guys,

So I did a thing and replaced the trans fluid on my 2018 WRX at about 8300 miles. My shifts felt rough and I had a hard time going into gear. Went with redline and the shifts do feel much better. When draining, I noticed that my dip stick read low and I only drained slightly under 3 qts. My car was level and I played around with the angles to get the oil out and let it drain for 30 minutes. Has anyone ran into this? Kind of concerning that it was under filled.
fifapro23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
rtv900
Scooby Guru

Member#: 428511
Vehicle:
2016 STI

how low?
and do wrx's have trans dipsticks?

plus, on a lot of manuals there's actually one main sump and then another drain bolt for another portion that you can either drain or not drain if you don't care.
That would account for a bit more fluid
rtv900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #3
fifapro23
Scooby Newbie

so the manual says 3.5qt but the amount i got out was about 3qt, slightly below. Yes the FA20 has one. Every car should have one to measure oil levels.

Not sure about the other drain bolt but i followed manual drain procedures.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
pacmantravis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435634
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

I also changed my transmission fluid this weekend -- If the car is running fine now, I wouldn't worry about it. But make sure to check the fluid again to make sure it is between L and F.

It took a little bit of driving after the change for shifts to smoothen up; the first hour or so of driving felt "notchier" than normal, but has since smoothed out. (I use Motul Gear 300)

Also, how much did you put IN? Did you put in 3.5 or just what you got out? If you put in 3.5, but only got out 3, it's possible it is overfilled. I think the difference between L and F on that dip stick is something like .25-.5 quarts.
pacmantravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #5
fifapro23
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmantravis View Post
I also changed my transmission fluid this weekend -- If the car is running fine now, I wouldn't worry about it. But make sure to check the fluid again to make sure it is between L and F.

It took a little bit of driving after the change for shifts to smoothen up; the first hour or so of driving felt "notchier" than normal, but has since smoothed out. (I use Motul Gear 300)

Also, how much did you put IN? Did you put in 3.5 or just what you got out? If you put in 3.5, but only got out 3, it's possible it is overfilled. I think the difference between L and F on that dip stick is something like .25-.5 quarts.
My car doesnt feel as notchy anymore but i did put in 3.5.
Old 11-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
pacmantravis
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435634
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
WRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifapro23 View Post
My car doesnt feel as notchy anymore but i did put in 3.5.
If you took out 3 and put in 3.5, you may be overfilled -- More than likely, you were at ~3.5 before and only got a little over 3 out (from what I've researched, that is normal). Check the dipstick when the car is COLD and on level ground. If you are over the F, use a fluid pump or something similar to pull out a small amount.

A little bit of overfilling isn't a huge deal, but the more it's overfilled the more likely you'll have issues like foaming, etc.
pacmantravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
fifapro23
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
If you took out 3 and put in 3.5, you may be overfilled -- More than likely, you were at ~3.5 before and only got a little over 3 out (from what I've researched, that is normal). Check the dipstick when the car is COLD and on level ground. If you are over the F, use a fluid pump or something similar to pull out a small amount.

A little bit of overfilling isn't a huge deal, but the more it's overfilled the more likely you'll have issues like foaming, etc.
Thanks man, it is definitely over the full so I will take some out using a vacuum pump.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
fifapro23
Scooby Newbie

Quote:

Thanks man, it is definitely over the full so I will take some out using a vacuum pump.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:51 AM   #9
whiplash willy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 424843
Vehicle:
2016 WRX Limited 6MT
ISM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifapro23 View Post
so the manual says 3.5qt but the amount i got out was about 3qt, slightly below. Yes the FA20 has one. Every car should have one to measure oil levels.

Not sure about the other drain bolt but i followed manual drain procedures.
There are some manual transmissions that just have a drain and fill hole, and you know the level is correct when you fluid starts coming out the fill hole, kind of like how diffs drain/fill holes work.
whiplash willy is offline   Reply With Quote