Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 19, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
Luxkeiwoker
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 469111
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX STI
Black

Default Help troubleshooting P0448 (MY06 STI)

Hey guys,

I have had a CEL for the last couple of months and since I started to use the car more and more, it really started to annoy me, especially because cruise control is deactivated (blinking light).

I used my OBDLink LX to diagnose the code, and received

Code:
P0448 Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Shorted
After deletion of the error, it popped back up after a few miles. I then started digging into possible root causes. Seems like it's the vent valve for the charocal canister.

Here is what I did so far (pictures below):

- inspection of the canister - looks fine
- took of the electrical plug of the valve and cleaned it from any debris/dirt
- put the car in test mode (2 green plugs under the steering column) and measured the voltage between both cables --> it was varying between ~7 to ~12 Volts which is presumably what it should do
- also checked if there is a shortage on the plug, but the voltmeter didn't beep
- measured the resistance between both connectors on the valve --> voltmeter shows ~27 Ohms (is that correct?)
- tried to remove the valve from the canister, but it sits in there pretty tight - not sure if it is even designed to be pulled out like that
- put the plug back on the valve actuator while in test mode to hear if there is any noise coming from the valve --> it stayed silent

I'm not sure what to conclude now. Is the valve defective? If so, can I replace it with a new one, or do I have to buy a completely new charocal can?

Since I'm based in Europe, I don't really care about the EVAP system, so if there is any way to just completely disable this while also not having a CEL, I'm open to it.
Luxkeiwoker is offline   Reply With Quote