Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 11, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
leighton1245
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 210593
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX PSM
Epic tuned 300whp

Default Catch can maybe reduce oil use?

I burn or use about 1/2 to 1/4 qt. Of oil about every 800 or so miles and I know this has been asked 1berrrzillion times before, but has anyone noticed they use less oil with a catch can on there setup? If so which can are you using? Thanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
leighton1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 136396
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, 2012 WRX,
2013 BRZ, 2006 STI

Default

Both catch cans and air oil separators have been proven to dramatically reduce the amount of oil consumption on subarus. I'd call around to a few vendors on here and see what they recommend for your situation and budget!

Mike
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

using the right oil reduces usage

if yoar using oyl you are likely using the wrong oyl

Last edited by Uncle Scotty; 06-02-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
leighton1245
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 210593
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX PSM
Epic tuned 300whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
using the right oil reduces usage

if yoar using oyl you are likely using the wrong oyl
thank you for that but not likely I have went through almost every brand out there synthetic, non-syn, syn-blend almost all the same. My leak down test showed less then 6% loss on 2 cyl. And less then 10% on the other 2 so I know no issue there. Thus the reason asking about a catch can in hopes of stopping most of the oil usage.
leighton1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton1245 View Post
thank you for that but not likely I have went through almost every brand out there synthetic, non-syn, syn-blend almost all the same. My leak down test showed less then 6% loss on 2 cyl. And less then 10% on the other 2 so I know no issue there. Thus the reason asking about a catch can in hopes of stopping most of the oil usage.
then you are doing something else wrong

how about changing the pcv valve

and 5w30 is NOT 'required' either
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
leighton1245
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 210593
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX PSM
Epic tuned 300whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
then you are doing something else wrong

how about changing the pcv valve

and 5w30 is NOT 'required' either
I changed the PVC valve about 300 miles ago is there any other componets that might effect oil use? I have also tried 5w30,5w-40, 0w-30 didn't know about 0w-40 or going 10w-30 since it is like 90 degrees here? Thanks for all the help
leighton1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:54 PM   #7
soobaviator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115070
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Northern VA
Vehicle:
2009 DGM LGT Spec.B
08 Audi Q7 4.2 PRM

Default

A quarter quart of oil every 800 miles? How do you recognize cup (8 oz) being lost??? That represents a significant amount but strange how you can tell.

Anyway you need a compression test also. If the oil is not leaking away it's burning/blowing away. There could be a number of issues from rings to headgaskets to turbo seals to valve lash. If the oil is blowing out the crankcase a catch can won't stop the consumption it will just catch it. And if you change your oil on intervals longer than 200 miles you don't want what ends up in the catch can back in your crankcase.

Before adding an apparatus to the car to catch oil you should eliminate the possible sources of the problem you are having.

Oil is not your issue unless you are using the wrong oil; one which is too thin or not strong enough to protect and properly cool a tuned Subaru motor.

How many miles on this car?

-soobaviator
soobaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
leighton1245
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 210593
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX PSM
Epic tuned 300whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobaviator View Post
A quarter quart of oil every 800 miles? How do you recognize cup (8 oz) being lost??? That represents a significant amount but strange how you can tell.

Anyway you need a compression test also. If the oil is not leaking away it's burning/blowing away. There could be a number of issues from rings to headgaskets to turbo seals to valve lash. If the oil is blowing out the crankcase a catch can won't stop the consumption it will just catch it. And if you change your oil on intervals longer than 200 miles you don't want what ends up in the catch can back in your crankcase.

Before adding an apparatus to the car to catch oil you should eliminate the possible sources of the problem you are having.

Oil is not your issue unless you are using the wrong oil; one which is too thin or not strong enough to protect and properly cool a tuned Subaru motor.

How many miles on this car?

-soobaviator
The only way i can measure 1/4 to 1/2qt. of oil is I check it everytime I fill up and sometimes its just a little ways down the dipstick and other times its to the hole in the bottom of the stick, So really its just a estimate. I will recheck the IC pipeing tonight and just recently had my DP off the exhaust side looked fairly clean. Also there is about 80k miles on my car. I recently had a leakdown test done at subie had a max of 10% loss but if I need to do a compression test also I can do that myself, arent they almost the same thing but a leakdown test gives more info? Could be wrong on that but idk. Thank you for the info on checking stuff out.
leighton1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67004
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: (818) 300k+ ej205 ppg 5mt
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

Default

Try an aos. It worked for me.
hybrid gti 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor
 
Member#: 136396
Join Date: Jan 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, 2012 WRX,
2013 BRZ, 2006 STI

Default

An aos is an extremely effective unit at preventing oil consumption, while a catch can works its still taking oil out of the engine and essentially throwing it away.

Will
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
leighton1245
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 210593
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX PSM
Epic tuned 300whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmSpeed View Post
An aos is an extremely effective unit at preventing oil consumption, while a catch can works its still taking oil out of the engine and essentially throwing it away.

Will
thanks Will the grimmspeed one is 299 right? Easy install?
leighton1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
hybrid gti 2
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67004
Join Date: Jul 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: (818) 300k+ ej205 ppg 5mt
Vehicle:
02 vf30 pnp wagon
silver and cf

Default

Easy install
hybrid gti 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
kevin2.5rs
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67518
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bean town
Vehicle:
2013 Focus ST
TB

Default

Oil consumption on a subaru, you got to be joking

I burn a qrt every 700mi but I do know where mine is leaking
I can see it in my rearview

Turbo seal has been leaking for a while now started at 97k now at 124k


The freaking turbo will not die.
kevin2.5rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 PM   #14
soobaviator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115070
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Northern VA
Vehicle:
2009 DGM LGT Spec.B
08 Audi Q7 4.2 PRM

Default

^The turbo is dead, it just has not stopped working... Why don't you get it fixed? New seals on a TD04 is not an expensive deal, better yet at current prices you could get a used one in decent working order for about the price of a years worth of the extra oil you are shooting out the exhaust... Assuming you are running a TD04
soobaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #15
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2.5rs View Post
Oil consumption on a subaru, you got to be joking

I burn a qrt every 700mi but I do know where mine is leaking
I can see it in my rearview

Turbo seal has been leaking for a while now started at 97k now at 124k


The freaking turbo will not die.
neither one of my wrx's has burned any oil

wonder why
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #16
Uncle Scotty
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK buy Nates beans
westcoastroasting.com

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighton1245 View Post
I changed the PVC valve about 300 miles ago is there any other componets that might effect oil use? I have also tried 5w30,5w-40, 0w-30 didn't know about 0w-40 or going 10w-30 since it is like 90 degrees here? Thanks for all the help
and as asked above......how can you be so sure that you are using 8oz of oil with such precision???
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #17
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 S4
Gray

Default

It's a guess, as he mentioned. Technically, it would be extremely easy to measure if 8oz are being blown out the engine. Check you oil every time you run it and simply measure the oz off the quart bottle you use to fill it up. Simple.
rexblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #18
leighton1245
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 210593
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX PSM
Epic tuned 300whp

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexblake View Post
It's a guess, as he mentioned. Technically, it would be extremely easy to measure if 8oz are being blown out the engine. Check you oil every time you run it and simply measure the oz off the quart bottle you use to fill it up. Simple.
Lol excatly! For some I guess this concept or method wouldn't be accuarte enough for some, but as long as I don't run low on oil I'm happy. I will be getting a AOS to help fix the issue thank you Grimmspeed always very very helpful. As for Uncle Scotty thanks for trying to help on checking the compontes.
leighton1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
soobaviator
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 115070
Join Date: May 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Northern VA
Vehicle:
2009 DGM LGT Spec.B
08 Audi Q7 4.2 PRM

Default

Buying an AOS to solve an oil loss issue is like taking a Tylenol for a backache. It may help the symptoms, pain, but it won't heal the muscle or bone that is causing the pain. In the same sense the AOS will only take the oil (also the fuel and whatever heavy crap that's in it) out of the blow by gas and put it back in the pan. It does nor fix the reason the oil is escaping. And it will only capture stuff that comes out of the crankcase. If your oil is burning in the combustion chamber an AOS will do absolutely nothing.

The first thing to do is source where the oil is getting out and why. Then you buy parts to fix the actual problem, not put a band-aid on it and kick the can down the road on solving the issue.

I've owned four Turbo Subarus and one N/A Subaru. None of them used oil to any significant degree. If an engine is using oil there is an issue with the engine or component on the engine. The problem is not that your engine does not have a cleverly designed aftermarket piece of kit.
soobaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil catch can or air oil seperator??? jaytech Newbies & FAQs 11 09-21-2009 12:03 AM
WTT(HR): Greddy Oil Catch Can with Perrin Oil Catch Can scooby_wooby MAIC Private Classifieds 1 03-24-2008 09:01 PM
FS:OH: 3" flat flange, perrin catch can cover, fp oil outlet flange mikkellucci Engine/Power/Exhaust 3 08-16-2006 08:50 PM
have oil catch can, but still oil in IC TyranosaurusWRX Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 16 05-05-2005 11:46 PM
DO oil catch cans help with oil consumption? 1/500yellowwrx Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo) 4 01-10-2005 02:57 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.