Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday May 13, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Baja Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #1
dragasoni
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 505955
Question 06 EJ253 Baja Sport upgrades

I have an 06 Baja and I am rebuilding the EJ253 in it. What are some of the things/upgrades I can do to get it to produce at least 250 bhp? New to this and I don't really want to go through all the hassle of converting it to a turbo.
dragasoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53558
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragasoni View Post
I have an 06 Baja and I am rebuilding the EJ253 in it. What are some of the things/upgrades I can do to get it to produce at least 250 bhp? New to this and I don't really want to go through all the hassle of converting it to a turbo.
Well, rebuilding as in new Pistons, rods, etc., or rebuilding like... ???

So, you have two options. You can either go mild, maybe go for mild cams, an intake, possibly lightweight flywheel... Or you can go nuts, and blow more on a NA build than it would cost to do a turbo swap, and have a nice powerband, but much less power in the end.

You can do: High compression pistons, really spicy cams, forged rods, intake manifold, intake, exhaust, lightweight flywheel, lightweight pullies, and maaaaaaaybe break 250hp at the crank. You'll need a tune, too, especially for the cams.

Just for perspective: Many years ago, back in 2009, I had a 2002 WRX Wagon. It was bone stock. A guy that I don't know if he posts anymore had a 2005 Outback Sport, and he did cams, intake, etc., and even got a tune for it, but he had to go piggyback because he had an EJ251. My WRX weighed a touch more than the OBS did, maybe 100 lbs, but from a dead stop, his OBS would kick my butt all the way up to 60 MPH, then I would start reeling him back in.

Then, I got an exhaust, and started replacing stuff under the hood. I did TGV deletes, ported the TGV housings, turbo inlet, silicone hoses on the intercooler, and turned the boost up to 17 PSI. I really focused on bottom end boost. After just a little bit of tinkering, lining up side by side with him from a dead stop, I would pull away from him like nobody's business, and he wouldn't catch up to me.

Also, just to consider: I had a 2005 Baja Sport before I got my 2005 Baja Turbo. I absolutely could not stand the engine in it. It had NO power. Keep in mind, I occasionally go up over 6,000 feet, so it becomes very obvious that there's no power on a steep hill at 6,700 feet. That was the main reason I ditched the Sport for a Turbo. I have already tinkered with the turbo, it's pushing 17 PSI through the stock TD04 instead of 8 PSI, and it's a blast to drive. I've even done something I never managed to do in my WRX: I snapped an axle.
Chi_San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
Jeremywny
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 522379
Default my baja

i plan on putting a new motor in my baja aswell. it has the 255 in it or atleast i think it does. how do i identify it?
Jeremywny is offline   Reply With Quote