Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday May 7, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #1
txl146
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32459
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX VF34 (SOLD)
Junior Tuned 301whp

Default Intake manifold gasket blew and...

While performing DIY leak check, I ended up blowing the intake manifold at around 16psi. Car was tuned for 19psi, but has been unable to hit the target boost for a few weeks. Turned out that it was due to blown intake manifold gasket on passenger side.

Felt great in a way that I was able to pinpoint to source of leak after weeks of troubleshooting

However, here is where problem started.

After putting everything together, I fired her up and car drove just fine although I heard this clicking noise coming from passenger side (click - click - click) which sounded more like brake pad rubbing against rotor. I pulled over the car and noticed car is leaking oil from underneath the engine. Small puddle of oil, which stopped after shutting the engine off.

It was too dark to further inspect and didn't feel like taking a chance by driving as is. I ended up taking my car to my buddy's shop (within 1 mile distance) after adding 1qt of oil to have him inspect the car.

Can anyone help troubleshoot this problem? I cannot seem to figure out how performing leak check (~16-17PSI) could result in oil leak...

Thanks in advance for your help and time!

PS: leak check was performed by connecting DIY leak checker directly to throttle body
txl146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
txl146
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
02 WRX VF34 (SOLD)
Junior Tuned 301whp

good morning bump for some suggestions...
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
KUrex
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 177354
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2002 wrx
wrb

Do you know where the oil leak is coming from? It should be easy to tell where if its leaking bad enough to puddle up in such a small amount of time. This might not have anything to do with your leaking intake manifold gasket or you doing a boost leak test (frankly I don't see how it could). Did you do anything else while you were working on the car? Maybe an oil change and accidentally left the old filter gasket in place?

I'm not sure that anyone on here will be able to give you much useful information in this case, your best bet will be to hear what your buddy finds out looking at your car. In any case, good luck to ya!
KUrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
txl146
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
02 WRX VF34 (SOLD)
Junior Tuned 301whp

Looks like my car has blown cam seal...

I am still trying to understand how leak test @ 16psi would induce blown cam seal.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53558
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Check your PCV vavle. If it is not happy, or stuck open, you just pressurized your crank case. IIRC, there are at least 2 check valves in the system to prevent that, one that diverts the PCV system from the intake manifold to the turbo inlet during boost, and the PCV valve itself.
Chi_San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
69subaru360
Scooby Guru

Member#: 159682
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
1995 WRX
2015 F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by txl146 View Post
Looks like my car has blown cam seal...

I am still trying to understand how leak test @ 16psi would induce blown cam seal.
It's real common. You aren't the first person to do it, if it makes you feel any better. You pressurized the crankcase, which normally doesn't get that kind of pressure. Next time crack the oil cap open when boost leak checking.
69subaru360 is offline   Reply With Quote