Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-23-2018, 11:20 PM   #1
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 436768
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Default Does Rotor Brand Really Matter?

I get how different brands could have proprietary pad compounds, but as the title suggests, does the brand of the rotor really matter? It's just a disc of steel at the end of the day...
fleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2018, 12:09 AM   #2
jamal
Scooby Guru

Member#: 71875

For the most part, yes, that has been my opinion. It is a piece of iron that wears down.

However, there are some slight differences in rotor composition. Centric, for example, has a "high-carbon" version of their rotors, which might last a little longer, and might be less susceptible to hot spots and uneven deposits. Maybe.

The other things you might get with a more expensive rotor are an anti-corrosive coating on the hat and inside the vanes and less runout.

And then holes and slots improve bite, keep the rotor-pad interface cleaner, and help a pads work better near it's maximum MOT. Holes make the rotor lighter, but do make the more likely to crack.

A 2-piece rotor does have more advantages because it is lighter, and allows the disc to float independently of the hat. That means less pad knockback, and less stress and deflection in the rotor from temperature changes.

All that said, I use centric premiium blanks and they are fine. All the things I mentioned are fairly slight differences and it's hard to tell the difference between a cheap blank and a 2-piece slotted rotor aside from the extra noise.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 02:35 AM   #3
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

thanks for the insight.

i need a set of rears, so i'll get some cheapo's to replace the old ass oems
Old 02-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
thegreatklye
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 400259

RockAuto
thegreatklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
hrbutler52
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 295691
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX
Blue Mica

As you live in Canada, coated "hats" would be a benefit. Keeps the wheel mounting face in better shape and looks better.
hrbutler52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #6
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
For the most part, yes, that has been my opinion. It is a piece of iron that wears down.

However, there are some slight differences in rotor composition. Centric, for example, has a "high-carbon" version of their rotors, which might last a little longer, and might be less susceptible to hot spots and uneven deposits. Maybe.

The other things you might get with a more expensive rotor are an anti-corrosive coating on the hat and inside the vanes and less runout.

And then holes and slots improve bite, keep the rotor-pad interface cleaner, and help a pads work better near it's maximum MOT. Holes make the rotor lighter, but do make the more likely to crack.

A 2-piece rotor does have more advantages because it is lighter, and allows the disc to float independently of the hat. That means less pad knockback, and less stress and deflection in the rotor from temperature changes.

All that said, I use centric premiium blanks and they are fine. All the things I mentioned are fairly slight differences and it's hard to tell the difference between a cheap blank and a 2-piece slotted rotor aside from the extra noise.
Agreed. A bit above "cheapest I can find" is what I get. These may be better balanced, more consistent grain, etc.
Any of the "E coated" helps slow down rusting on none wear areas. The Centrics are what I tend to use. Price is decent, quality has been good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleezy View Post
thanks for the insight.

i need a set of rears, so i'll get some cheapo's to replace the old ass oems
Go for E coated, still cheaper than OEM.
Note, pretty much ANY rotor is cast iron, not steel. There are very few exceptions, yes some are steel or maybe carbon, but almost all street rotors are cast iron.
It gives a decent balance of wear, grip and price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatklye View Post
RockAuto
I use RA all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbutler52 View Post
As you live in Canada, coated "hats" would be a benefit. Keeps the wheel mounting face in better shape and looks better.
Agreed, for reasons listed above.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
lukethedork
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 326146

Yes. Rotor brand really matters. Well not the actual brand. But what the rotor is made of.

To say it's just a piece of steel and the pad is the major factor is ridiculous.
It would be like saying the tire is the only thing that matters and the road surface does not matter.
Just as your tires interact with the ground. Your brake pads interact with the rotor.
lukethedork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
Mex4flatX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 481795

I personally have DBA T2 Slotted Rotors on Hawk HPS pads.
Being has my car was pre-owned by one other owner. Yet very well kept.
Yes, most rotors are cast iron.
Mex4flatX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
jamal
Scooby Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukethedork View Post
Yes. Rotor brand really matters. Well not the actual brand. But what the rotor is made of.

To say it's just a piece of steel and the pad is the major factor is ridiculous.
It would be like saying the tire is the only thing that matters and the road surface does not matter.
Just as your tires interact with the ground. Your brake pads interact with the rotor.
Well, if you're going to say that, you could at least try to explain some of the differences.

What benefit do I really get for buying a $150 DBA 4000 over a $40 centric premium blank? Aside from the cool looking slots I mean.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
Well, if you're going to say that, you could at least try to explain some of the differences.

What benefit do I really get for buying a $150 DBA 4000 over a $40 centric premium blank? Aside from the cool looking slots I mean.
to be fair, RA can get me slotted and drilled power stops for 40/piece, but yes, the main point of this thread was to inquire: $150/rotor vs. $40/rotor, what is the actual discernible difference?

also, since i cant find slotted/drilled rotors that are also coated, i will likely go the opposite route.

Last edited by fleezy; 02-25-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:51 AM   #11
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

For street and AutoX, I hate drilled or slotted. I think you will be fine with something like the Centric E-coated rotors.
Pads make more of a difference.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:42 PM   #12
jamal
Scooby Guru

Auto-x is actually one of the situations where I'd recommend drilled rotors for the slight weight savings and better bite.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:08 PM   #13
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
For street and AutoX, I hate drilled or slotted. I think you will be fine with something like the Centric E-coated rotors.
Pads make more of a difference.
my understanding is that drilled rotors improve performance in the rain, and slotted rotors keep brake dust out of the way.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:28 PM   #14
jamal
Scooby Guru

They're both doing the same thing- giving "stuff" a place to go instead of being trapped between the pad and rotor. That stuff can be water, dust, brake pad material, and gasses from a really hot pad.

Holes probably do a slightly better job at all of the above, but have their downsides, like cracking, and it reduces the mass of something that's job is to turn kinetic energy into heat.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #15
tippmannman7
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 282933
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Spit balling here but as Japanese steel is not the same as Chinese steel even if it is just a big slab of metal the impurities may be different and have an impact on performance. What katana would you want to go into the zombie apocalypse with lol?

That all being said I have been using premium wearever pads and rotors for 6+ years as they were recommended I believe somewhere on this site to work really well and have a great bang for your buck. I drive spirited and have had to bleed off questionable speed before and they have not let me down. Unless you are racing I would highly recommend the wearever gear. Nevermind the fact you can get additional discounts at advance if you buy online and use coupon codes.

If you haven't already changed to high quality brake fluid, SS lines, and a master cylinder brace I would also recommend those upgrades as they can greatly improve pedal feel and responsiveness.
tippmannman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #16
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippmannman7 View Post
If you haven't already changed to high quality brake fluid, SS lines, and a master cylinder brace I would also recommend those upgrades as they can greatly improve pedal feel and responsiveness.
im just using regular dot3, but i dont rip my car through the streets of toronto, so i dont think upgrading to even dot4 is necessary (though i might still do it).

i will look into ss lines and a brace tho