Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #1
Faruchos
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 105340
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2006 WRX

Default GrimmSpeed BPV/Y-Pipe Gaskets different type than OEM

I am replacing the Intercooler BPV and Y-Pipe gaskets on my 06 WRX. I bought GrimmSpeed gaskets that say will fit, but they are a different type of gasket. The oem is a rubber band type that sits in a groove and the new one is the flat type. After a little searching, I found out the 06-07 gaskets are different than the rest. I know the new one’s will fit, but should I use it or use get oem?

Faruchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Grimmspeed only seems to selling one type of BOV gasket for the earlier model cars - 2002 - 2007. I have never been disappointed by any Grimmspeed products I have bought yet.

If you have any concerns, pick up the phone and call Grimmspeed.
Ask them why theirs is different than OEM.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #3
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 136396
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, 2012 WRX,
2013 BRZ, 2006 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faruchos View Post
I am replacing the Intercooler BPV and Y-Pipe gaskets on my 06 WRX. I bought GrimmSpeed gaskets that say will fit, but they are a different type of gasket. The oem is a rubber band type that sits in a groove and the new one is the flat type. After a little searching, I found out the 06-07 gaskets are different than the rest. I know the new one’s will fit, but should I use it or use get oem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Grimmspeed only seems to selling one type of BOV gasket for the earlier model cars - 2002 - 2007. I have never been disappointed by any Grimmspeed products I have bought yet.

If you have any concerns, pick up the phone and call Grimmspeed.
Ask them why theirs is different than OEM.
^^^^^ Now that's just good advice We were closed, but good advice in general! Thanks Jack, we always appreciate the support.

To answer a couple quick questions:

Our gasket for the BPV is intended to fit the STI BPV flange. And I believe nearly all vehicles that have BPVs with the STI style flange have the flat flange, with 06 and 07 being the odd-ball with the O-ring. Off the top of my head i think this goes to 08 on FXTs, but lets just ignore it for now.

With the 06-07 WRX being the oddball our gasket still works, it's still sealing on the flat surface, and it's additional thickness helps with any issues of flatness on the plastic face.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 PM   #4
Faruchos
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX

Thanks for the reply. I figured it would work because there is still the flat surface before the o-ring groove. I saw a review for this gasket on rallysportdirect.com and someone had the same issue, but filled the groove in with gasket maker. Should I leave the o-ring in and use the GrimmSpeed gasket over it?

RSD review:
“07 WRX leak
budski79 4 years ago
A good gasket, but the 07 WRX TR uses an O-ring on the BOV, and has a small opening for the tab part of the O-ring to stick out when the BOV is mated to the intercooler. This created a small leak that when you got on the throttle the car would whistle, or scream like a small child. To remedy the noise I used some liquid gasket to fill in the hole for the O-ring tab. All good now.”
Old 03-20-2018, 11:53 AM   #5
GrimmSpeed
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 136396
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, 2012 WRX,
2013 BRZ, 2006 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faruchos View Post
Thanks for the reply. I figured it would work because there is still the flat surface before the o-ring groove. I saw a review for this gasket on rallysportdirect.com and someone had the same issue, but filled the groove in with gasket maker. Should I leave the o-ring in and use the GrimmSpeed gasket over it?
No, double gasketing here is nearly going to guarantee a leak. If you were to shave the old gasket so that it were flat with the surface, then I wouldn't see an issue with that. But I would run it as-is. If for some reason you encounter the same problem then I would reevaluate. Witht he review being 4 years old, I am pretty sure the issue was witht he gasket itself, as back then I believe we had some delamination issue.

Chase
Engineering
GrimmSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Faruchos
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 WRX

Sounds good, I’ll give them a shot and let you know if there’s any issues. Should I use the factory torque spec of 11.6ft-lb?