Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday April 2, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
abandon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 412965
Join Date: Feb 2015
Default 20 WRX - Map lights don't turn on when door is opened?

Hey all,
I recently took the plunge and got a new 20 WRX base. Been playing with it recently and one thing I couldn't figure out is how to get the map lights to turn on when you open the door because the dome light alone leaves the front seat area super dark.

From looking through the manual, I think I may have what they're calling the "type b" map lights based on the tiny, gray-scale pictures. The manual doesn't say anything about whether or not they turn on when the doors are opened (where-as it does get into that for type a and type c lights, of course), so I'm starting to think that they are actually "working as designed". But if that's true, I'm just dumbfounded as to how a nearly $30k car could not have a simple feature that all of my past, MUCH cheaper, cars all had. Am I crazy?

And yeah, I know one way to solve this would have been to get the premium over the base, but it was honestly a stretch to make this one happen, and I didn't care about any of the major selling points of the premium over the base. As silly as it sounds, if they told me about THIS I probably would've considered it lol.

Anyway, if anyone has any knowledge on this subject I'd love to hear it. I'd love to hear if I'm wrong and I'm just missing something obvious. If I'm right though, I'd also be willing to swap out my map light kit with a different one but I've never really heard of anyone doing that so not sure how involved it would be if it's even realistic. But any advice there would be awesome too.

Thanks in advance if anyone has anything to share. Have a good one.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:16 PM   #2
Big-E
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 123843
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut
Vehicle:
2016 STI LTD CWP
Let LED's light your way!

Default

I downloaded the manual and it is lacking to say the least.

Regardless, Type-A appears to be with sunroof and manual 6-speed, Type-B appears to be without sunroof and without EyeSight, and Type-C appears to be with EyeSight option.
Big-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:41 AM   #3
GoFrogs
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 507317
Join Date: Oct 2019
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: SW Ohio
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
Pure Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandon View Post
Hey all,
I recently took the plunge and got a new 20 WRX base. Been playing with it recently and one thing I couldn't figure out is how to get the map lights to turn on when you open the door because the dome light alone leaves the front seat area super dark.

The manual doesn't say anything about whether or not they turn on when the doors are opened, so I'm starting to think that they are actually "working as designed". But if that's true, I'm just dumbfounded as to how a nearly $30k car could not have a simple feature that all of my past, MUCH cheaper, cars all had. Am I crazy?

And yeah, I know one way to solve this would have been to get the premium over the base, but it was honestly a stretch to make this one happen, and I didn't care about any of the major selling points of the premium over the base. As silly as it sounds, if they told me about THIS I probably would've considered it lol.

Anyway, if anyone has any knowledge on this subject I'd love to hear it. I'd love to hear if I'm wrong and I'm just missing something obvious. If I'm right though, I'd also be willing to swap out my map light kit with a different one but I've never really heard of anyone doing that so not sure how involved it would be if it's even realistic. But any advice there would be awesome too.

Thanks in advance if anyone has anything to share. Have a good one.
2019 Base owner here with Popular Package #2 (includes the LED Dome/Map lights). No need to 2nd guess (buyer's remorse) the purchase of a base model. I didn't want a sunroof, and a sport pkg Premium was nearly impossible to find in a color I was okay with in late 2019, so Base model it was...not missing any feature of the Premium/Limited model other than the heated seats [old car, 04 GTI, had them].

Yes, your center dome light should come on when you unlock the car with the key fob or open your door.

The LED light, in the Pop Pkg, is somewhat dim, from what I can tell in mine, but it provides enough light to see what I'm doing. Others may prefer to install a brighter LED bulb in the dome light to make it more "daylight" or change the color to red to be more night vision friendly.

Worst case, call or visit the dealer and see if they can give you the five minutes to figure out the issue.

Question, what position is your dimmer switch set to? Full bright, full dim, or somewhere in between. Mine is set to 2-clicks down from full bright and my dome light turns on.

Do your map lights pop on when you push them?

> Forgot to mention...have you gone into the menu section of the top screen to sort through all of the options. I cannot recall, but I think there is a section in there about dome lights and duration. I know you can set the duration the backup camera stays on after you move out of reverse. Mine is set at 5 seconds, and I believe you can go as long as 9 seconds on the camera

Last edited by GoFrogs; 01-20-2020 at 02:45 AM. Reason: driver's menu
GoFrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
abandon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 412965
Join Date: Feb 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFrogs View Post
2019 Base owner here with Popular Package #2 (includes the LED Dome/Map lights). No need to 2nd guess (buyer's remorse) the purchase of a base model. I didn't want a sunroof, and a sport pkg Premium was nearly impossible to find in a color I was okay with in late 2019, so Base model it was...not missing any feature of the Premium/Limited model other than the heated seats [old car, 04 GTI, had them].

Yes, your center dome light should come on when you unlock the car with the key fob or open your door.

The LED light, in the Pop Pkg, is somewhat dim, from what I can tell in mine, but it provides enough light to see what I'm doing. Others may prefer to install a brighter LED bulb in the dome light to make it more "daylight" or change the color to red to be more night vision friendly.

Worst case, call or visit the dealer and see if they can give you the five minutes to figure out the issue.

Question, what position is your dimmer switch set to? Full bright, full dim, or somewhere in between. Mine is set to 2-clicks down from full bright and my dome light turns on.

Do your map lights pop on when you push them?

> Forgot to mention...have you gone into the menu section of the top screen to sort through all of the options. I cannot recall, but I think there is a section in there about dome lights and duration. I know you can set the duration the backup camera stays on after you move out of reverse. Mine is set at 5 seconds, and I believe you can go as long as 9 seconds on the camera
Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah, the issue is the map lights, not the dome light (which works fine). From what I can tell, if you end up with the base wrx I have, you have what they call "type b" map lights, and it seems like that one just does not turn on when you open the doors. The other two "types" do turn on when you open the door.

I still find that hard to believe on a $28k car, but I can't find any reliable source anywhere that claims they should work and even my dealer wasn't sure and just said to drop off the car so they can check it out.

I like your suggestion of just dropping by and seeing if they can let me talk to a tech for 5 mins though because I think they're just going to tell me I'm SOL and shoulda got the premium lol.

My last resort would be to somehow replace parts with one of the other map light types that do tie-in with the door sensors. But again, not sure how realistic that is. I'm not looking for a wiring nightmare, but it does REALLY bug me how dark it is at night when you open the door.

I totally agree with all of your rationale about the base vs premium though which is why I was originally happy with my decision. It's literally just this ONE thing that's killing me :P
abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
abandon
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 412965
Join Date: Feb 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-E View Post
I downloaded the manual and it is lacking to say the least.

Regardless, Type-A appears to be with sunroof and manual 6-speed, Type-B appears to be without sunroof and without EyeSight, and Type-C appears to be with EyeSight option.
Hey, thanks for checking me on that. That is my assumption as well. And that's why I'm hesitant to just replace my type b with either a type a or c as I don't have those associated options, so even if it worked, I'd be left with functionless buttons lol.
abandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:25 PM   #6
Tonyfastin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 383899
Join Date: Mar 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: North New Jersey
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
Plasma Blue

Default

I just upgraded today from a ‘14 hatchback and I too am dumbfounded by the inability to activate the map lights when the doors open...

Instructions indicate how to do it for Type A and Type C... but us Type B’s have been literally left in the dark when our doors open.

Any work around?

Last edited by Tonyfastin; 02-18-2020 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Typo
Tonyfastin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
CerOf
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 488048
Join Date: Jul 2018
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2019 WRX
DGM

Default

It might be an option only for the Limited trim.

When I grab the handle and/or unlock with the remote, my interior map lights and dome light all come on.

Mine is a '19 Limited.
CerOf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:32 PM   #8
hengyu408
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 493782
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Just chiming in my 2020 premium trim. The map lights don't come on when the doors are open and there is no way to make them trigger when the door is open. By the way I have the performance package with the sunroof delete is that makes it any different.
hengyu408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.