Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Bark3rd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 205531
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
15 Jeep GC Diesel
Black

Default Need help finding info on trailer hitches for 09 WRX

I searched like crazy and found lots of info on older models, nothing on installing a receiver hitch on an 09 hatch. I remember a thread somewhere that had pics of a customer install but cant find it. I need to know that hitch will work best and how to deal with the Cobb CB and diffuser clearance issues. I race dirtbikes and want to use my rex to tow a small single rail trailer to the races. Thanks
Bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
Aaron'z 2.5RS
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1026
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'00 RS/WRX Stg5
'98 RS Stock

http://store.uhaul.com/hitches.aspx

Found one under the 09' (use the sedan model) for ~160... couldn't say a word about fitment though...

I had one on my old GC RS and it towed ALLLLLL sorts of things.. from cars, to bails of hay going to the stock-yard to sell.. lol... it tucked up really nice... you only saw the square receiver, the rest totally hidden..

funny story, if you don't mind, my dad had his snow blower stored in the bottom of his barn, and well the drive belt wouldn't move it (needed replacement)

He got his 4WD Ford all sorts of stuck trying to back down (down hill, at a rather steep angle about 30') to get it... lol...

I told him I could do it no problem...

I loved having a hitch, LOVED it..

Another fun one.. lol...

Pulled it up outta the hayfield.. Pulled the 5x8 in the background with it too, but it was rather tongue heavy.. it pulled it though.. lol.. used to pull the utility trailer pictured ALL the time with the riding lawnmower as well... lol...

It was my truck.. lol.. I miss her badly..

Last edited by Aaron'z 2.5RS; 06-15-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Aaron'z 2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Bark3rd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 205531
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
15 Jeep GC Diesel
Black

Thanks man, I think I saw some of these pics during a search I did. Pretty impressive- i mourn for your clutch! Ill check out the U haul stuff. Id really like a nice pictorial from someone who has done this, I know I saw one somehwere.

I just talked to an engineer for this hitch, which is listed as designed for 09 wrx fitment: http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem.asp?id=60893

He said the measurement from the bottom of frame to top of receiver tube is 6.5", anyone know if this will clear the diffuser without having to cut it? Doesnt sound like enought distance just eyeballing it, cant fidn my measuring tape!

Last edited by Bark3rd; 06-15-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Aaron'z 2.5RS
Scooby Guru

Member#: 1026
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
'00 RS/WRX Stg5
'98 RS Stock

Show us your hitches or something like that was the title..

the clutch didn't mind at all, I would bump it, to get it moving, then the clutch would lock up no problem with the tiny bit of momentum... I replaced the clutch at 95kmi(after a failed throw out bearing)... and drove it out to 150.. lol...
Aaron'z 2.5RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
Mucho Maas
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212389
Vehicle:
2009 WRX 5-door
DGM

Noob's first post; apologies in advance for cluelessness of any/all sorts. New to Subaru and my 2-week old 2009 WRX 5-door premium.

Needing a trailer hitch with wiring for the lights, and am trying to figure out whether my 2009 WRX hatch came with a plug, or if I'll need to do some splicing.

I found a post (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&postcount=232) that shows the location of a plug (& play) receptacle for the 2005s, but my 2009 isn't similar.

Anyone found a plug for the 2009s? If not - any suggestion on hardwiring a plug in?
Mucho Maas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
Tigen
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3657
Question

So, there still seems to be a lack of info around here about hitches for 2008-2009 WRX.

Here's my story: I tried installing the Draw-Tite class I hitch on my 2009 WRX wagon. It fit ok, except there was not enough clearance for the exhaust on either side, so the exhaust bounces on its hangers and taps the hitch. I could try longer hangers, but I'd rather not since the people selling this stuff never mention any clearance issues. Stock exhaust.

So my option #2 is to try the Curt version, which has round cutaways on each side where the exhaust pipe passes under. I didn't notice that when comparing them originally. It still may not be perfect but I figure it should be better. The Curt also doesn't require drilling, but that's a moot point for me since I already drilled to install the Draw-Tite. :/

Anyone have any experiences to share? Thanks.

Last edited by Tigen; 08-31-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Tigen is offline   Reply With Quote