Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 22, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Proven Power Bragging

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #2801
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 33782
Join Date: Mar 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Mooresville, NC
Vehicle:
96 in the garage
search FIRST, then PM!!!

Default

Was hoping they had something in here on it but I don't see anything.

http://www.turbos.borgwarner.com/fil...ical_brief.pdf
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #2802
Waddlz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395275
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Brighton, CO
Vehicle:
2012 STi
SWP

Default

yeah I checked there first and seen nothing.

I found this post from a couple of years ago on another forum,

"Jon from Full Race got me the answer. So FYI

-max EGT for the EFR turbos is 950C
-max turbine speed is rated in terms of "tip speed" and 560/ms. The specific RPM that 560m/s tip speed occurs depends on the diameter of the specific compressor wheel in question.
-oil pressure is regulated by the built in oil control orifice. Pressure range is stated as 30-100psi. we've had motorcycle and ATV customer engines at 15-20psi oil pressure and no issue surprisingly.
-bearings are m50 races with ceramic balls in aluminum cages (silver plated). Dimensional Tolerances are considered BW proprietary information and not shared outside of their internal engineering center.
-most of the EFR compressor wheels have 14 blades which corresponds to 2917 Hz (except the 6758 which uses a 12 blade wheel)"

but it just strikes me odd that, I had 40 PPM silver content and the zinc content in my oil was 1700 after 3000 miles, so probably 1800 for a VOA

prior to that, running Motul 5w-40 I only had a 3 ppm silver content and I was hard on the turbo for those 3 months I ran motul.

nothing changed between mechanical wise between the Motul and the RLI 5w-40.
Waddlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:30 PM   #2803
brecks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 435142
Join Date: Nov 2015
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Commerce Twp, MI
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddlz View Post
yeah I checked there first and seen nothing.

I found this post from a couple of years ago on another forum,

"Jon from Full Race got me the answer. So FYI

-max EGT for the EFR turbos is 950C
-max turbine speed is rated in terms of "tip speed" and 560/ms. The specific RPM that 560m/s tip speed occurs depends on the diameter of the specific compressor wheel in question.
-oil pressure is regulated by the built in oil control orifice. Pressure range is stated as 30-100psi. we've had motorcycle and ATV customer engines at 15-20psi oil pressure and no issue surprisingly.
-bearings are m50 races with ceramic balls in aluminum cages (silver plated). Dimensional Tolerances are considered BW proprietary information and not shared outside of their internal engineering center.
-most of the EFR compressor wheels have 14 blades which corresponds to 2917 Hz (except the 6758 which uses a 12 blade wheel)"

but it just strikes me odd that, I had 40 PPM silver content and the zinc content in my oil was 1700 after 3000 miles, so probably 1800 for a VOA

prior to that, running Motul 5w-40 I only had a 3 ppm silver content and I was hard on the turbo for those 3 months I ran motul.

nothing changed between mechanical wise between the Motul and the RLI 5w-40.
How did you like the RLI altogether? Have been considering switching from Motul xcess 5w-40 as UOA show it shearing to a 30. Although if its going to eat my EFR bearings... that's an issue
brecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:59 AM   #2804
Waddlz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395275
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Brighton, CO
Vehicle:
2012 STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecks View Post
How did you like the RLI altogether? Have been considering switching from Motul xcess 5w-40 as UOA show it shearing to a 30. Although if its going to eat my EFR bearings... that's an issue
it stayed in spec very well. but I still think the high zinc content is eating the bearings
Waddlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #2805
brecks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 435142
Join Date: Nov 2015
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Commerce Twp, MI
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddlz View Post
it stayed in spec very well. but I still think the high zinc content is eating the bearings
Isn't the Motul pretty high in zinc too though? I wonder if there's some other component to the RLI that causes the reaction with silver
brecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 08:03 PM   #2806
Waddlz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395275
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Brighton, CO
Vehicle:
2012 STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecks View Post
Isn't the Motul pretty high in zinc too though? I wonder if there's some other component to the RLI that causes the reaction with silver
my motul was 1160 zinc.
Waddlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #2807
brecks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 435142
Join Date: Nov 2015
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Commerce Twp, MI
Vehicle:
2004 STi
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddlz View Post
my motul was 1160 zinc.
Hmm, are you switching back to Motul?
brecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:13 PM   #2808
yamahaSHO
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 73932
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Denver
Vehicle:
2005 STi EFR 6758
04 S2000 EFR 7064

Default

If you want lower zinc, yet really good oil, 300v substitutes their zinc with boron.
yamahaSHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #2809
Waddlz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395275
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Brighton, CO
Vehicle:
2012 STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecks View Post
Hmm, are you switching back to Motul?
No. Just going to stick with my amsoil. Not convinced the RLI is better
Waddlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:26 AM   #2810
Snow_Shovel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344498
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Not sure if this has been mentioned before in the thread, but Iíve got an IRL EFR7163. I should be able to swap the compressor housing out for a standard one so that i can fit a filter/inlet on there, correct? Much cheaper than machining a flange and inlet piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner...4383.l4275.c10

Snow_Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #2811
PDXREALTOR
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 468393
Join Date: May 2017
Location: PDX OREGON
Vehicle:
2017 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Shovel View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned before in the thread, but Iíve got an IRL EFR7163. I should be able to swap the compressor housing out for a standard one so that i can fit a filter/inlet on there, correct? Much cheaper than machining a flange and inlet piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner...4383.l4275.c10

Yep. I was going to do the same thing with my stock location 7163 so I could get the bigger inlet.
PDXREALTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #2812
Hyper
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 15822
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: MOCKBA
Vehicle:
1999 WRB GM6
2.34 LR destroker

Default

anyone wants to trade housings?

I've got TS 7163 with 2-port turbosmart actuator
I am considering going to v-band with EWG
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #2813
Waddlz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 395275
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Brighton, CO
Vehicle:
2012 STi
SWP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_Shovel View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned before in the thread, but Iíve got an IRL EFR7163. I should be able to swap the compressor housing out for a standard one so that i can fit a filter/inlet on there, correct? Much cheaper than machining a flange and inlet piece.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Borg-Warner...4383.l4275.c10

yes it will
Waddlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:00 PM   #2814
Snow_Shovel
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 344498
Join Date: Jan 2013
Default

Good, because i already bought one.
Snow_Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.