Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Care & Detailing

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2018, 04:55 PM   #1
carsebuco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482289
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2018 STI
DGM

Default Average cost for Ceramic Coat?

While debating whether I want the front bumper to have ppf or the whole car ceramic coated, I came to a few quotes for these services and I was wondering...

How much is ONE coat of professionally-done 9H supposed to cost? I have places wanting to charge 900 for ONE coat over the entire car and some things to the wheels, etc, PLUS whatever more for paint prepping.

If you have done ceramic coating or you're simply aware, what would be a fair price for this?

They also charge 500 for one coat of Ceramic Pro Light instead, which supposedly only lasts 12-24 months... Is any of this reasonable?

Jesus christ.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by carsebuco; 12-02-2018 at 07:05 PM.
carsebuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
oichan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 492327
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: A garage in the Midwest
Vehicle:
2019 WRX / 16 STI
2017 Golf-R, etc

Default

Ceramic coat will not be able to replace clearbra's functionality. If you're on a budget, I recommend you do the clearbra (at least the front bumper) and use polymer sealant.

Ceramic is good for like environmental protection against artillery fungus, sap, some bird crap, and bug guts, but it wont protect your car from rock chips as clearbra can.
oichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
carsebuco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482289
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2018 STI
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oichan View Post
Ceramic coat will not be able to replace clearbra's functionality. If you're on a budget, I recommend you do the clearbra (at least the front bumper) and use polymer sealant.

Ceramic is good for like environmental protection against artillery fungus, sap, some bird crap, and bug guts, but it wont protect your car from rock chips as clearbra can.
Which is something I am okay with, provided that it can be purchased at around the same price. On one hand, you protect JUST the front bumper from rock chips. On the other, the whole car stays nice and pretty for long, aside from obvious rock chips.

I feel that for 500 I can simply replace the bumper in the future if need be. But that doesn't mean it justifies almost a grand for a ceramic coat, if that's what the fair price is.
carsebuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 AM   #4
vapore0n
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21356
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Can't catch me!
Vehicle:
2017 Subaru Corolla
STI Limited SE-R Type (R)

Default

Shop around. Ive seen different users quoting different prices. Some much higher than normal, like $2k for clearbra installation.

For me, it was about the same
$1k for front bumper, partial hood, partial front fenders, rear view mirrors, and rear bumper trunk guard.
$1k for detailing and ceramic coating.
I went with just the clearbra. 2 years later my front bumper still looks great and shiny, with no rock chips.

You can keep your car looking nice on the cheap side if you DIY (detail once a year, maintenance spray for rest). I didnt detail my car this year and it still was glossy as it can be. The Reload spray does wonders on keeping the car looking nice.
vapore0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
MtnXfreeride
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 228010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Just keep in mind a kit to ceramic coat with Cquartz UK 3.0 is $75 and is enough to do 2 cars... you would be better off paying a detailer to do minor paint correction for <$300, leave the paint bare for you...Its a 2018.. it can't be that bad for light scratching, right? Take it home spray with and wipe off carpro eraser and then go at ceramic coating it yourself in 2 hours.

Or.. clearbra what you can afford and $75 ceramic coat the rest.

Last edited by MtnXfreeride; 12-03-2018 at 03:08 PM.
MtnXfreeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
rich3389
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 207322
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default

Ceramic coating is not going to protect against stone chips like ppf. I got my ceramic coat for $5, Mr ifix straight from China. Water still beads 1 year later.
rich3389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:31 PM   #7
Cobrakai
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 176408
Join Date: Apr 2008
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: South OC
Vehicle:
2005 EJ207 STy
White

Default

The coating jobs that I generally do are anywhere from $1000 for the bare minimum to upwards of $3,500 for the top of the line self healing coatings.
Granted the amount of paint correction is a huge deciding factor in the cost for the upper tier jobs.

500 dollars will get you a new bumper and a ****ty paint job that will probably look worse than it did before, and won't last very long either. 9/10 cars that come through the detailing shop have been tainted by half assed body shop work.

Buy the PPF and save up for a proper ceramic coating.

I'd be very wary to let someone "correct" my car for $300 (hello burnt paint), the national average according to Meguiars is $95-100 an hour for professional paint correction.

At best you'd get a wash, clay, and polish for that.

Ask the shop that gave you the quote if they can do a Ceramic Pro Sport application, that generally lasts upwards of a year if maintained and shouldn't be too harsh on your wallet.

Food for thought.
Cobrakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #8
carsebuco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482289
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2018 STI
DGM

Default

The more I look into it the more ceramic coat doesn't seem worth it unless going balls out. I'm thinking about spending a little more and getting ppf instead. For $900 I can get. Front bumper, mirrors, 24" up hood, half fenders, headlights, and door handle area. I've always wanted to learn not to suck at detailing anyways, so it would be nice to guarantee that those parts won't get f'd just from driving, and then I can maintain the rest.

Man, decisions decisions...
carsebuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
MtnXfreeride
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 228010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrakai View Post
The coating jobs that I generally do are anywhere from $1000 for the bare minimum to upwards of $3,500 for the top of the line self healing coatings.
Granted the amount of paint correction is a huge deciding factor in the cost for the upper tier jobs.

500 dollars will get you a new bumper and a ****ty paint job that will probably look worse than it did before, and won't last very long either. 9/10 cars that come through the detailing shop have been tainted by half assed body shop work.

Buy the PPF and save up for a proper ceramic coating.

I'd be very wary to let someone "correct" my car for $300 (hello burnt paint), the national average according to Meguiars is $95-100 an hour for professional paint correction.

At best you'd get a wash, clay, and polish for that.

Ask the shop that gave you the quote if they can do a Ceramic Pro Sport application, that generally lasts upwards of a year if maintained and shouldn't be too harsh on your wallet.

Food for thought.
$680 bought an OEM bumper and an undetectable paint match + install on my 2012 WRX.. paint held up fine until traded.

I get where you are coming from, but you are high end and this is a daily driven STI. You do not have to spend $1000-$3500 for a good quality ceramic coat job. Especially in this instance where the car is so new and OP is on a budget. You are assuming he needs loads of paint correction beyond basic car wash scratch/swirl polishing.

If your paint is new (2018 here) and hasn't been through a touch car wash minimal correction is likely needed. There are plenty of well-rated detailers in my area that will do a full strip wash and swirl removal polish for <$300. One in particular just did my co-workers 2009 truck exterior for $200 - took out years of car wash swirls, and some fairly deep scratches from brush scratching the truck on a narrow road in the woods while hunting. Some still remained hidden by wax, but he didnt pay for a full correction. That included a wax and sealant in the package. I saw no signs of paint damage when I inspected it. A 2018 STI here can be prepped around here for that same package, just hold the wax/sealant so it can be ceramic coated at home... bam $275 done prep and coat, and you only did the easier half of the job yourself.
MtnXfreeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #10
HCAutoDetail
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 451697
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Virginia
Vehicle:
1998 Outback Sport
Green/Slate

Default

Concerning the above price war discussions, what plays a huge roll in your cost is where you live. My ability to charge what I'm worth is held down a bit because my market is blue collar. I'll occasionally get a nice Porsche or Maserati to work on but most of the time it's Mustangs and Vettes, and everything else is just a daily driven small/mid/large SUV. That being said, a full correction on a "new" Subie would run between $300-$500.


I personally hate the look of clear vinyl when it's done halfway up the hood or half of the fender! The best jobs I've seen with regard to wraps are hugely expensive because they are complete coverage and no seams showing.


My advice, quit following so close to the car in front of you. Minimizes the rock chips right there! Learn some detailing processes, by yourself a $150-$200 orbital buffer, and enjoy your cars beauty because you made it that way. (Easier said than done, I know) Use a reputable sealant two or three times a year. Maybe a cleaner wax if you're in a harsh environment.

Clear vinyl and ceramic coatings don't eliminate the need to take care of your car! Save your money.
HCAutoDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #11
carsebuco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482289
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2018 STI
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCAutoDetail View Post
Concerning the above price war discussions, what plays a huge roll in your cost is where you live. My ability to charge what I'm worth is held down a bit because my market is blue collar. I'll occasionally get a nice Porsche or Maserati to work on but most of the time it's Mustangs and Vettes, and everything else is just a daily driven small/mid/large SUV. That being said, a full correction on a "new" Subie would run between $300-$500.


I personally hate the look of clear vinyl when it's done halfway up the hood or half of the fender! The best jobs I've seen with regard to wraps are hugely expensive because they are complete coverage and no seams showing.


My advice, quit following so close to the car in front of you. Minimizes the rock chips right there! Learn some detailing processes, by yourself a $150-$200 orbital buffer, and enjoy your cars beauty because you made it that way. (Easier said than done, I know) Use a reputable sealant two or three times a year. Maybe a cleaner wax if you're in a harsh environment.

Clear vinyl and ceramic coatings don't eliminate the need to take care of your car! Save your money.
I definitely understand your point and for the most part I agree with it. I don't know if you have ever lived in AZ for long enough to know how it works over here, but the whole "distance yourself from the car in front of you" thing over here only works if you are 5+ cars behind. Here, dirt is more prevalent not only in the air but on the roads, and rocks fly at you like you're an unwanted visitor trespassing their territory.

I do agree that the whole "half vinyl" look is not the best, but it will be the best way to protect my frontend, financially. Trust me, I would love to afford a full panel or hell, I'd kill for a full car wrap, but money won't allow it. And I do plan on learning to detail the other parts properly, at least with the tools I am given, but this is more of a "peace of mind" kind of approach.
carsebuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:38 PM   #12
MtnXfreeride
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 228010
Join Date: Oct 2009
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Maine
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsebuco View Post
I definitely understand your point and for the most part I agree with it. I don't know if you have ever lived in AZ for long enough to know how it works over here, but the whole "distance yourself from the car in front of you" thing over here only works if you are 5+ cars behind. Here, dirt is more prevalent not only in the air but on the roads, and rocks fly at you like you're an unwanted visitor trespassing their territory.

I do agree that the whole "half vinyl" look is not the best, but it will be the best way to protect my frontend, financially. Trust me, I would love to afford a full panel or hell, I'd kill for a full car wrap, but money won't allow it. And I do plan on learning to detail the other parts properly, at least with the tools I am given, but this is more of a "peace of mind" kind of approach.
How do the thin subaru windsheilds hold up in those conditions? That sounds awful. In Maine during the winter we get gravel on the roads when they are icey that flings pretty well from jacked up pickups without mud flaps. my 2019 wrx has a small crack at the base that happened within 2 months of summer driving.. pathetic.
MtnXfreeride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
carsebuco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482289
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2018 STI
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnXfreeride View Post
How do the thin subaru windsheilds hold up in those conditions? That sounds awful. In Maine during the winter we get gravel on the roads when they are icey that flings pretty well from jacked up pickups without mud flaps. my 2019 wrx has a small crack at the base that happened within 2 months of summer driving.. pathetic.
In my BRZ I had two windshield replacements and a crack filled, all within 1.5 years of living here. Luckily I had insurance for all of this, so it was definitely worth paying a little more. Hence why I really want the bra instead, even if it doesn't "look" clean. AZ is just plain horrible for your car.
carsebuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:14 PM   #14
cerbomark
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 475983
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Upstate NY
Vehicle:
2018 WRX Limited
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnXfreeride View Post
Just keep in mind a kit to ceramic coat with Cquartz UK 3.0 is $75 and is enough to do 2 cars... you would be better off paying a detailer to do minor paint correction for <$300, leave the paint bare for you...Its a 2018.. it can't be that bad for light scratching, right? Take it home spray with and wipe off carpro eraser and then go at ceramic coating it yourself in 2 hours.

Or.. clearbra what you can afford and $75 ceramic coat the rest.

https://imgur.com/QGgkEmr

here s my 2018 using C quartz myself, not needing any correction.
https://imgur.com/QGgkEmr
cerbomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:10 PM   #15
atm0706
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 279219
Join Date: Apr 2011
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
02 WRX, 06 STi
PSM, WRB

Default

The majority of the cost when getting a ceramic coating should be going towards the prepping/correcting of the paint. Not the actual ceramic coating. This is because the ceramic coating basically locks in whatever is beneath it. So if you car has swirly paint, that gets locked in under the coating. If the shop is trying to charge $900 as a base without any paint correcting, then you might as well just buy a kit and do it yourself. The product is $100 or less.

I had my FD ceramic coated for $400 with minor paint correction.
atm0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:51 PM   #16
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

it all depends on paint correction. I have a friend that had it done and it costs him $2000. now they did spend like 15 hrs on the paint correction so yeah. as far as the guy that did the cquartz himself, you can but that will only last at the most 2 years... So yeah there is a video that some guy on youtube that tested a bunch of the out and there were definitely some better than others.
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:17 AM   #17
jarmy16
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 496758
Join Date: Jan 2019
Default

Got a 5 year coating on the whole car and all windows with 2 stage paint correction for 850 with a christmas special last month. Very satisfied so far. After two snows car is still looking good!
jarmy16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:00 AM   #18
rgilmer19
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 497207
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Seattle/Salt Lake City
Vehicle:
2010 Subaru wrx
World Rally Blue

Default

Watch a few youtube videos on applying ceramic coat. Itís very simple and the product itself can range from $75-$150 for decent ceramic coating. That could be used on multiple cars or you could just save it to do it again when you feel it needs it again in the future. If itís the paint correction part that concerns you. Iíd just hire a detailer to do the correction for $150-$300 and save a few hundred bucks on the application of ceramic coating. Applying ceramic coating is a little more challenging than applying wax but really itís not hard. If you decide to go this route I recommend buying a product along side the ceramic coating called reload. Some brands may refer to it as a different name but you apply it the same as spray wax and it keeps your protection lasting longer.
rgilmer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:53 AM   #19
iBlueVirus
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 4679
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: detailaddict.com
Default

there are multiple factors...

price of the coating depends on the quality and ease of install of the coating. but before coating, there is prep, which could be costly if the paint is in a bad shape. There are also end-user based coating that's easy to use and pretty good lasting.

also consider different properties of coating. shine, hydrophobic, as well protection (scratch as well as chemical etching). see what's important to you before the selection and cost will change big time. Lastly, as many have said, no coating can protect you like PPF does when it comes to rock chips.

Leo
iBlueVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #20
noahoscar986
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 497621
Join Date: Feb 2019
Default

It may cost $80 to 85, my brother has apply last week
noahoscar986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #21
soloz2
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 260128
Join Date: Oct 2010
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Western NY
Vehicle:
2019 WRX Limited
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

I've DIY CarPro CQUARTZ UK before and had good results. I'm not a professional, but take your time, prep, and you can do it.
The key is prep, prep, prep.
soloz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:01 PM   #22
Jdawrx89
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 499823
Join Date: Mar 2019
Default Ceramic coating

Does anyone know if you have to pull the iron deposit are you clearcoat before you put the ceramic coating on
Jdawrx89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:55 PM   #23
vapore0n
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21356
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Can't catch me!
Vehicle:
2017 Subaru Corolla
STI Limited SE-R Type (R)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawrx89 View Post
Does anyone know if you have to pull the iron deposit are you clearcoat before you put the ceramic coating on
You mean clean the paint to perfection before installing a semi permanent coat?
Yes. Absolutely.
I would polish the paint too.
vapore0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #24
90_Shelby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 51353
Join Date: Dec 2003
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
You mean clean the paint to perfection before installing a semi permanent coat?
Yes. Absolutely.
I would polish the paint too.
Agreed. I've had two vehicles, both black, ceramic coated professionally and it took the whole day to paint correct polish and ceramic coat. Well worth it as the cars looked awesome after. The added bonus is how easy they are to clean afterwards.

To answer the original inquiry. $5-600 per vehicle.
90_Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #25
carsebuco
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 482289
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: AZ
Vehicle:
2018 STI
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90_Shelby View Post
Agreed. I've had two vehicles, both black, ceramic coated professionally and it took the whole day to paint correct polish and ceramic coat. Well worth it as the cars looked awesome after. The added bonus is how easy they are to clean afterwards.

To answer the original inquiry. $5-600 per vehicle.
My current quotes are ~900 for 1 coat, or $1200+ for 3.
carsebuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2019 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.