Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 436768
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Default New Pads, Shims, and Clips; now I hear scrapping

i posted in this thread: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho....php?t=1653900 but haven't heard anything. I tried message the OP, but their inbox is full.

I recently bought some stoptech street pads and installed them with new clips, and now i have an intermittent scrapping that occurs from my FP wheel that dissipates when the brakes are depressed

- there is no visible indication of scraping on the rotors themselves; the rotors, pads, and calipers are all visually sound and seated correctly.

I have a suspicion it is my clips, but would appreciate any insight :3
fleezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
thegreatklye
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 400259

Dust shield? I understand it goes away when braking, but stranger things have happened in the automobile world.
thegreatklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #3
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatklye View Post
Dust shield? I understand it goes away when braking, but stranger things have happened in the automobile world.
i will take the wheels off again and check the dust shield, but if i remember correctly, i forced it to give me extra space when i put on my new rotors
Old 10-18-2017, 11:36 AM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

I've seen a few brands of pads that have the shim sit real close to the edge of the rotor, looks like just under 1/16", but can chirp when driving.
The shims that rubbed left no marks on the rotor, so, sorta hard to find.

Also make sure the shims are centered in the gap, if off to one side, the tiny tabs can scrape the rotor braking surface.

Last one I did (USMC75?) I pulled the pads, removed the shims, then bent them a bit where they go from one pad to the other.
Reinstall everything, chirp gone.

To check the dust shield, run a lugnut and washers or old axle nut on a stud to clamp the rotor against the hub, then look behind the rotor and check all around the shield. If it's close, just bend the shield, it's thin metal and bends rather easy.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I've seen a few brands of pads that have the shim sit real close to the edge of the rotor, looks like just under 1/16", but can chirp when driving.
The shims that rubbed left no marks on the rotor, so, sorta hard to find.

Also make sure the shims are centered in the gap, if off to one side, the tiny tabs can scrape the rotor braking surface.

Last one I did (USMC75?) I pulled the pads, removed the shims, then bent them a bit where they go from one pad to the other.
Reinstall everything, chirp gone.

To check the dust shield, run a lugnut and washers or old axle nut on a stud to clamp the rotor against the hub, then look behind the rotor and check all around the shield. If it's close, just bend the shield, it's thin metal and bends rather easy.
i'll check all that, thanks!
Old 10-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #6
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleezy View Post
i'll check all that, thanks!
Thanks, let us know.

I'm really trying to keep THIS thread "low drama".......
Old 10-19-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Thanks, let us know.

I'm really trying to keep THIS thread "low drama".......
lmao, oh god im a magnet for it!

i'll post an update. always do!
Old 02-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

so i still intermittently hear this sound that disappears when the brake is depressed (even a little).

is there another part of the brake system that could be attributed to the phenomenon? Or are the clips/shims an accurate diagnosis.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:05 PM   #9
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleezy View Post
so i still intermittently hear this sound that disappears when the brake is depressed (even a little).

is there another part of the brake system that could be attributed to the phenomenon? Or are the clips/shims an accurate diagnosis.
Some pads can chirp a bit just driving around, a little brake pressure kills the chirp.
First thing to check, is there a "rust ridge" just outside of where the pads run?
The other thing could be using some "pad glue" between the back of the pad and the caliper.
Otherwise, check everything else.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
fleezy
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Some pads can chirp a bit just driving around, a little brake pressure kills the chirp.
First thing to check, is there a "rust ridge" just outside of where the pads run?
The other thing could be using some "pad glue" between the back of the pad and the caliper.
Otherwise, check everything else.
i have to find the time to get the sound to appear, get it back home, and up in the air to see if i can pinpoint the sound.

I can tell you that it doesn't appear to be be at a single point of wheel rotation, as the sound occurs more than once per.

It's a metal on metal sound, kind of sounds like glancing, which is lends to the theory that it's the pads or clips, and i don't feel it in the steering wheel, in my feet, or on the stick. It's just a sound, but it's super annoying. I can imagine it sounds even worse from outside the car >.<

edit: i had my gf drive the car up and down the driveway when i got home tonight; interestingly enough the sound doesn't happen in reverse (which i weird because the clips are symmetrical), but only in reverse, and it is 100% coming from the hub assembly/rotor.

edit2: i know all this updates are pointless to most, but the more info i can give, the easier it will be for the next noob to find the issue and POSSIBLY the fix

Last edited by fleezy; 02-20-2018 at 10:35 PM.