Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 23, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #1
MortonCharbo
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (1)

Member#: 487057
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon
PSM

Default Whiteline rear strut bar KSB586Q

Skip to the last paragraph if you don't want to read the specifics. There's a fair amount of text between here and there.

Let me start out by saying I've bought several products by Whiteline in the past and have been very impressed by the quality, and performance, of their parts. I have their rear lateral links, front and rear sways/bushings/mounts, alk, and a few various bushings throughout.

Just holding the brand new parts in my hands I can feel the quality. The paint was excellent. The polished surfaces were smooth and shiny, minus the places where I put my dirty hands all over them. All the welds were nothing short of works of art. There were no burrs, or left over material from manufacturing. All the threaded pieces are flawless. Smooth engagement with no play. You get the point.

With all that said, I decided I might as well get the rear strut bar too. I have a wagon with little extra junk in the trunk. I opened up the package and started looking over the pieces.

As soon as I started taking the plastic bags off of the parts, the disappointment began to set in. The brackets that bolt to the shock mounts only had one position for the bar to mount in to, not the three sets in the picture on the website. Ok, sometimes pictures and actual product vary slightly.

The paint on both of the brackets was horrible. It looks like someone took a brush and slapped a bunch of extra paint on top of the brackets randomly. Meh, I won't see it very often anyways and it's just cosmetic.

On to the bar. Looks nice before I take it out of the bag. Once it's in my hand, it feels cheap. It reminds me of that chrome plated plastic stuff. It's metal, yes, it just feels cheap.

The threaded ends on the bar have quite a lot of play. Both sides are right hand thread, so fine adjustment isn't really possible. Half a turn in one direction, it wobbles between the mounting brackets. Half a turn the other way, there's no way to get the holes to line up. Alright, feeling pretty disappointed at this point. I'm still going to keep trying to make excuses up. Maybe it'll stiffen up once I tighten down the quick release levers. Wrong. It's still far too wobbly for something that's supposed to add rigidity.

Up until now, I've been very happy with their products. I wanted to be satisfied with this one. I was expecting to be. I went in to the install with the mindset that I was going to be pleased. Every step of the way, I was disappointed by something. What gives? Did this specific one slip past qc? Did I somehow get a counterfeit? I don't know.

I'm sure this is by far an exception to the otherwise excellent quality of Whiteline products. To sum it all up, I was massively disappointed.
MortonCharbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links