Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 12, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #1
gateguard1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482258
Default Automatic to Manual 04 2.5RS help

I've never posted a thread before so I apologize if I'm break any rules and please inform me if I'm doing anything wrong. Anyway I have a serious question/I'm in need of help with the topic posted above. Before I get into this let me give some back story. If you don't want to read the long following story skip to the next paragraph.
Backstory: My dad's only car he ever bought new is a 2003 WRX (manual of course). He daily drove that car until he let his friend borrow it a few years back and it was T boned. A few years later I'm 16 and looking for a car. Now my parents are firm believers in "if you really want something, buy it for yourself", so when it came to a car I needed to buy it with money I'd been saving up from my various jobs. (I'm not trying to act like my life is hard here, in fact I think it's a good lesson to teach your kids and I'm glad because it taught me to be more grateful for my car.) As I was in high school I hadn't worked as much as you'd need to afford a WRX so I looked for the second best thing, a 2.5RS as it would be more affordable and 165 hp is plenty. Eventually, by luck, I came across a listing on a local Facebook page for an '04 red RS with 145k miles for 2500 a few blocks away from my house. I got them down to 2250 after having my father (an ex mechanic of 40 years) check it over and give it the ok. The car was awesome for 2250 but it was far from perfect. It had a huge dent in the front fender and door, broken AC, and was Auto. I of course wanted a manual, but needed a car and beggars can't be choosers. Fast forward 2 years and now I'm really craving having a manual car.

So refresher, I'm almost 19, have a little red RS that I got for $2250 that I really just want in manual, and am willing to put in the time to swap it. Now I know what you're saying "just buy a manual". Easier said than done. Finding low cost Imprezas where I live is impossible. Cheapest RS I saw was one with 175k miles for 5k. Plus I've got memories with my little RS and would hate to part with it. I don't need more power, just a different transmission. So my question is what needs to be done/where can I find a thread for a very similar build that will tell me. I've got my father to help me, and despite being a college student I still work enough that I've got about $2-3k to spend on doing this. I know the issue is going to be the wiring, and that's where the most help I'll need will be. Already pulling the engine soon just to do a precautionary engine rebuild (going to need to find a replacement car in the meantime lol) and so I'd probably swap it then. Thanks in advance and I hope I didn't bore anyone with the long read.

Last edited by gateguard1; 02-19-2018 at 11:40 PM.
gateguard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

You looking to do a 5MT or 6MT? There are some stickies for the 6MT swap, for a AT to MT swap you need to look some.
Yes, it can be done.
Yes, it's a bunch of work on a 14 year old car.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:37 PM   #3
gateguard1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
You looking to do a 5MT or 6MT? There are some stickies for the 6MT swap, for a AT to MT swap you need to look some.
Yes, it can be done.
Yes, it's a bunch of work on a 14 year old car.
I'm just planning to do whichever is easiest. If I have the money the 6 speed would be ideal but I'll have to see in that department. But yeah I'll look a little deeper. I figure at the end of the day I get a car that's more fun and gain some experience for any future projects.
gateguard1 is offline   Reply With Quote