Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday July 20, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-07-2018, 11:08 AM   #1
BugeyeJay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 445146
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Default BCS Vacuum Lines

I have a 2002 WRX and I’m having trouble hitting target boost so I’m going to replace the factory bcs with another oem and redo the lines. I searched it up and everyone is saying buy 5/16” silicone but that’s too small for the ports on the solenoid. The smallest I got to fit was 3/16”. What size lines are needed to replace all the boost lines
BugeyeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Easiest thing to do is simply pull the lines one at a time and measure them. Then go to your local auto parts store and buy the correct length of hose(s).

Expect that the end of the hose connected the port will be slightly larger than the hose itself since the hose fits tight over the port and will have expanded/stretched the hose slightly.

Is this what you are seeing?
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #3
BugeyeJay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
Easiest thing to do is simply pull the lines one at a time and measure them. Then go to your local auto parts store and buy the correct length of hose(s).

Expect that the end of the hose connected the port will be slightly larger than the hose itself since the hose fits tight over the port and will have expanded/stretched the hose slightly.

Is this what you are seeing?

Yes I see what you’re saying but I dont see the 5/32” line fitting over the port guess I’ll have to find an adapter
Old 06-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

No, you don't need an adapter. You just need to use the correct sized lines.

You mentioned earlier that the " 5/16” silicone but that’s too small for the ports on the solenoid "

Without measuring, I couldn't tell you the exact size but remember, these lines should not just slip on. There should be some resistance because you want these to hold tight.

Are the 5/16" really that small like you are making it sound, or are they just difficult to slip on?

Have you tried using a little soapy water or windex or something to give the ID of the hose some lubrication to slide on easily?
Old 06-12-2018, 05:58 AM   #5
Crispy 1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 478948
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
02' WRX
SRP

Samurai Jack you answer questions on here so often I would expect you to know better. The vacuum lines going to the BCS step down in size right after the solenoid. There are multiple plastic stepdown fittings going from the solenoid to the turbo inlet and from the solenoid to the "T" fitting that goes to the wastegate diaphram and compressor. The one from the "T" to the compressor is the one with the brass pill in it.

I truthfully don't know what is best because everyone says don't change the I.D. of the hose or take out the pill but it happens all the time.

I would buy the new lines from Subaru so you don't have to worry about it (there not much, if I remember right, around $30 for both coming off the solenoid and maybe the ones off the "T") or get the same size in silicone and reuse or buy new stepdowns and "T" fitting.

Anywhere that sells silicone hose will have both sizes.
Crispy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

You have no friggin' idea what you are talking about, you are unable to read, and your chastising me?

Old 06-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
Crispy 1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02' WRX
SRP

How do you figure? Please explain to me how I can't read or have no idea what I'm talking about?

You're the one suggesting he buy hose from the auto parts store (cheap hose that will potentially swell under boost/collapse under vacuum and not able to handle the heat) and buy the correct length.

The length is not the problem he is having. He is having a problem with the I.D!

My reading skills told me that
Old 06-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
Fairlaner
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 271222
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

I just did this using the OEM lines… From the descriptions on the part numbers tags, the large lines are 5.5 mm ID, the small lines are 3.5 mm ID, with the exception of the small line from the BCS to the “T”, which is 3 mm ID.

Last edited by Fairlaner; 06-14-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Fairlaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #9
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy 1 View Post
The vacuum lines going to the BCS step down in size right after the solenoid. There are multiple plastic stepdown fittings going from the solenoid to the turbo inlet and from the solenoid to the "T" fitting that goes to the wastegate diaphram and compressor. The one from the "T" to the compressor is the one with the brass pill in it.

I truthfully don't know what is best because everyone says don't change the I.D. of the hose or take out the pill but it happens all the time.

I would buy the new lines from Subaru so you don't have to worry about it (there not much, if I remember right, around $30 for both coming off the solenoid and maybe the ones off the "T") or get the same size in silicone and reuse or buy new stepdowns and "T" fitting.
All that blah - blah - blah has nothing to do with the OP's issue. He has an issue with finding the correct hose ID.

Perhaps your usual tactic is to buy the cheapest stuff you can find.
I presume the OP is smarter than that and has enough intelligence to know that if the hose he needs to buy has a wall ID of 1/4" ( that's just using a number for example, not a fact ), then he will buy a hose with a similar size wall ID.

One does not have to buy this hose from Subaru, unless of course they want to throw money away, but that is up to them
Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM   #10
Crispy 1
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
02' WRX
SRP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
All that blah - blah - blah has nothing to do with the OP's issue.

Perhaps your usual tactic is to buy the cheapest stuff you can find.

One does not have to buy this hose from Subaru, unless of course they want to throw money away, but that is up to them
Which is it? I buy the cheapest stuff I can find? Or do I throw money away buying from Subaru?

You suggested going to the parts store and buying rubber hose (the cheapest you can find anywhere!).

I said get it from Subaru to eliminate all your problems finding the right sizes and spending a few dollars more than the cheap hose from Vato Zone.

That just sounds so ridiculous huh?
Old 06-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #11
BugeyeJay
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy 1 View Post
Samurai Jack you answer questions on here so often I would expect you to know better. The vacuum lines going to the BCS step down in size right after the solenoid. There are multiple plastic stepdown fittings going from the solenoid to the turbo inlet and from the solenoid to the "T" fitting that goes to the wastegate diaphram and compressor. The one from the "T" to the compressor is the one with the brass pill in it.

Anywhere that sells silicone hose will have both sizes.

This is what I was looking for lol, Thank you.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #12
PVNRT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483821
Vehicle:
2004 WRX 2.0 18g

Not sure if this is important enough for all this back and forth discussion, I replaced all my lines with thick walled vacuum line from Oreillys, not sure of the size but the restrictor pill was a tight enough fit, I put a zip tie on it to be sure. I have rock solid 19 psi from 3rd gear up on my 18g with oem bcs. I would think tuning the wgdc is more important than killing yourself trying to find the exact size lines.

Focus on getting everything air tight and a size that fits the pill.
PVNRT is offline   Reply With Quote