Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday December 16, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-10-2015, 02:44 AM   #1
Darth Sleader
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 293322
Vehicle:
2008 WRX Sedan
Dark Gray Metallic

Default Heated windshield (wiper de-icer) install- HELP?

Hi All,

I have an 08 WRX. I really missed the cold weather package features I had in my previous Outback, so I decided to install them in my WRX.

I did the heated seats a few years ago and the heated side mirrors last weekend.

My windshield was badly cracked, so I decided to buy a windshield with the wiper de-icers. Research showed me that the wiring is already in place, but that a relay is needed. I've had the windshield installed and got the relay in today. I am certain that it's the correct relay, and in the correct port.

Unfortunately, I'm not getting any power to the windshield heater. I have tested my mirrors, and I'm seeing 12v. The windshield, nothing.

Another thread mentioned the possibility of having to activate the feature in the CPU.

Does anyone have any ideas for me? I believe I have all the right hardware...

Thanks in advance!

Jer
Darth Sleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #2
byastremski
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 373005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2014 wrx 5dr
white

This is a little off topic.

Is there a separate harness missing on the base model wrx's that the premium and limited with the all weather package get? I too am considering getting the glass w/ the deicers built right in and wiring everything up.

Did you just use a set of those ebay heated seat elements when you did yours?
byastremski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:56 AM   #3
Darth Sleader
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX Sedan
Dark Gray Metallic

Yes, I used eBay seat heaters. Getting the seats out and apart is quite a job, but there's nothing too terribly difficult overall. I used factory switches, which took some pretty serious testing and splicing to make work, but they've worked great for years.

Heated windshield:

No, no additional wire harness is missing as far as I know. I believe everything is in place, except for the windshield heater itself and the relay ($12).

I believe mine hasn't worked yet because it hasn't been cold enough. The manual says it will turn off if the temp is over 41F. This weekend it was 80. Lol. Waiting to test...

JS
Old 10-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #4
Darth Sleader
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2008 WRX Sedan
Dark Gray Metallic

FIXED.

Here's the answer:

The dealer needs to access the car's computer and turn the wiper de-icer function on. There are two settings to check. One chooses between "normal" (timed) operation and "continuous" operation. Further down the menu there is a setting for whether to "support" the de-icer feature, which defaults to OFF. Once that is turned on, you're good to go!

All you have to buy is the heated windshield and a relay ($12).