Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 PM   #1
Travistee
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 220101
Vehicle:
2009 outback sport

Unhappy steering feeling soft

2009 Impreza outback sport. 195K miles.

I had steering fluid leaking from the rack. There was no leak at the pump.
I added some mobil 1 ATF synthetic fluid after taking some out using the turkey baster method. For the last 500 miles it went down from the "hot top line" to the center line. I was surprised to see that the fluid in the reservoir looked clean. It does go up when hot and back down when cool. I haven't seen any leaks on the ground where it is parked. I used to see some leaks on the ground but not lately.

The problem I am having now is that the steering feels soft. I'm still not sure if it really is soft or maybe I'm being to picky thinking that something is wrong.
Travistee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2018, 12:31 AM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Soft as in easy to turn the steering wheel, or vague feeling when turning into a corner?

First one, maybe fresh fluid is helping return some of the original feel.
Second one, air in the fluid or check tire pressures.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
bowersj6
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490287

By turning softly does that mean it is sloppy like there is not enough pressure? Do you have the same turning radius + turning speed? Also, it could be a leaking or broken hose somewhere else and it is blowing the fluid or dripping onto the steering rack when driving.
bowersj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #4
Travistee
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 220101
Vehicle:
2009 outback sport

I meant the steering felt soft because it didn't have a precise feel to it as it usually does. Going straight on the highway it needed constant adjustment instead of being able to just hold the wheel steady to track in a straight line.
Going into turns it seemed that I had to turn more than I expected. So instead of starting a turn and just holding it steady as in a high speed sweeper it needed constant correction, so I didn't think it was safe for high speed turns.

So this is the update.

When I parked it yesterday before I posted my question that's what it was doing. I had to add fluid for the first time in 500 miles.
When I drove it today it was back to normal.
I think it may have somehow released some air in the system and that is why it needed more fluid.

Any ideas on where to check for air getting in (or out). When I added fluid about 500 miles ago, I added some UV dye that can be seen with yellow glasses or ultra violet light. I didn't get those glasses to check yet.

I think I'm going to clean the area around the rack with Gunk and then see if I can find where the leak is coming from, if it still has a leak.

Could air get into the system through the rack or pump? Would it be a hose, or ?

Last edited by Travistee; 08-18-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Travistee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
bowersj6
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 490287

I would check the valve assembly on the rack (Part # 34113FG0109L). A gasket could be bad or possibly the whole assembly.
bowersj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
kingsalami
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 206257
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX 5-door
White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowersj6 View Post
I would check the valve assembly on the rack (Part # 34113FG0109L). A gasket could be bad or possibly the whole assembly.
The steering rack pinion valve (where the steering shaft goes in) is a problem area know to spring leaks. Get under the car to verify that's where the leak is coming from.

Use only Subaru ATF in the system. I tried an aftermarket brand, and my leak got progressively worse within a few days.

Another problem area is the O ring on top of the PS pump where the hose from the reservoir enters the pump. If you've got a noisy PS pump and see frothy fluid in the reservoir, replace the O ring.
kingsalami is offline   Reply With Quote