Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 18, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-11-2017, 01:17 PM   #1
Jutboy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 114371
Question Occasionaly car won't start : 100% NOT starter, batter or CPS

Hello everyone,
So I have a 2005 Impreza RS automatic that, somewhat randomly (10% of the time) refuses to start. Turn the key, nothing happens at all.

The battery, starter and CPS(OEM) are all basically brand new. I wired a switch to send 12v directly to the starter solenoid and that starts the vehicle every time perfectly (strong start).

So, something is stopping the 12v from hitting the solenoid when key is turned and I don't know enough about what is in between. Can you guys provide any help? Thanks, I appreciate it.
Jutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #2
v2rocket_aka944
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 408701

have you checked the ignition switch?
v2rocket_aka944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #3
Jutboy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 114371

Is there a procedure to do this? I've never messed with one before.
Jutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Have you tried cranking with trans in neutral? Could be the range switch on the trans, if it thinks it's not in park or neutral it disables the start circuit.

You can use a voltmeter from ground and the small wire going to the starter, try cranking, you should have battery voltage. If no volts, continue up the harness checking for where the issue is.

This should really be in electrical, a start circuit is a start circuit whether NA or turbo.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
conseann3ry
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 472772

How many volts are you getting to the starter when you turn the key? If it is a little low, like 10 volts it may not be enough to activate it. If so just trace it backwards to find where you are losing your volts.
conseann3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
topfuelman
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 140036
Default Similar issue

So I have an manual 02 wrx with this exact symptom.
Have swapped out starter previously - no change to the occasional issue.

I am get this "turn key and nothing" periodically..seems to happen more when the car is hot, after a drive and it has been sitting/heat soaking under the hood. No solenoid click at all.

Fyi I've also fiddled with the clutch safety switch..didn't make a difference.
Turned the ign switch back and forth like 10 times in a row..no difference.

Did you ever find a bad ground or a current leak on the way to the solenoid or ???

Topfuelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jutboy View Post
Hello everyone,
So I have a 2005 Impreza RS automatic that, somewhat randomly (10% of the time) refuses to start. Turn the key, nothing happens at all.

The battery, starter and CPS(OEM) are all basically brand new. I wired a switch to send 12v directly to the starter solenoid and that starts the vehicle every time perfectly (strong start).

So, something is stopping the 12v from hitting the solenoid when key is turned and I don't know enough about what is in between. Can you guys provide any help? Thanks, I appreciate it.
I am getting this periodically as well..seems to happen more when the car is hot after a drive and it has been sitting/heat soaking under the hood.
I've fiddled with the clutch safety switch..didn't make a difference.

Did you every find a bad ground or a current leak on the way to the solenoid or ???
topfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote