Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 11, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #101
DarkGreyMetallic
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 487896
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
Thanks for sharing! Very nice build. It's great to see someone pushing the FA20 platform as an all around track car package and not just in the power department.
^ this has become my favorite 15+ because of it
DarkGreyMetallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2019, 12:21 PM   #102
RacecarWRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 499928
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXnick16 View Post
Thanks for sharing! Very nice build. It's great to see someone pushing the FA20 platform as an all around track car package and not just in the power department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkGreyMetallic View Post
^ this has become my favorite 15+ because of it

Thank you my dudes/dudettes! Some how all of this turned into a mission to showcase the FA20 engine, and the WRX. So far its been pretty good, the motor has held up well over 70K miles, and 10 track events. UOA from a few months ago seemed fine, so we'll keep going.
RacecarWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #103
RacecarWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Quick Update -

Car is doing good, but if you saw the download video from Thunderhill East and hopefully you caught the section where I talk about tire wear, then you know I got a tire wear issue. While the Nankangs are great tires, there was some unacceptable wear during the 20-30 laps thrown down at the track day.

Immediately coming home, I spent the last few days shooting some emails and making phone calls. I have to get to the root of the problem, because the tire wear we saw is unsustainable. As much as I love beating the **** out of the car, I can't afford to keep buying tires for it and realistically something is wrong.

My first call was to Wyatt at Motion Control Suspension. I can't reiterate how freaking awesome this company is. I get Wyatt on the phone, and I start asking about whether or not this is a rebound issue with the coilover. He shoots that idea down immediately. He thinks its a spring rate issue. Currently the car rides on 650/700 springs (front/rear), and he thinks the car is rolling and pitching to much in the corners. Because of this roll and pitch, I'm unintentionally compensating with camber and tire pressure. His suggestion, move my spring rate to 850/900 (front/rear).

I think this makes sense. If I'm honest, the car has a STUPID amount of camber in it. I've also always needed to run high tire pressures which from my homework says I'm over by maybe 4-5 psi. However, it just seemed to be what I needed to run.

My next call was to the company I purchased the tires from. They've been around the game for a long while, and specialize in sticky tires for hpde/trackday applications. Their answer was not so enlightening. Essentially I was told that I'm not letting the tire warm up, and that I'm sliding the tire too much. They also said they would contact Nankang and ask on my behalf.

My issue with this answer is multi-fold. I know what a warmed up sticky tire feels like, and I know what a cold tire feels like. Given the ambient temperatures at the track 95F+ the tires warmed up FAST. It never felt like I didn't have grip and I never experienced the tire letting go suddenly when it wasn't expected. On top of that, I don't fancy myself an aggressive driver. Personally, I think I'm reserved. I don't slide the car, and if the car pushes, I immediately wait for it to come back to me. So, I'm kinda just tabling the info I got from the tire distributor on the back burner...it just doesn't jive with me.

Lastly, I tried to get a hold of Nankang themselves. Unfortunately with these companies its not so easy. The AR1 is not listed on any of the US Nankang websites. If I called any of these US based divisions, they'd likely have no clue what I'm talking about. I tried reaching out to Nankang UK, which is where these tires have been selling for a few years now. The response was, less than ideal. The rep completely missed my question about the wear on the groove and just told me to lower my pressures. I've sent a follow up email clarifying my questions in an attempt to see what they say.

In the meantime, a new set of springs have been ordered and the car is registered for to return to Laguna Seca at the end of October. I've also ordered the most aggressive front pad Gloc makes for the car. Laguna was tough on the R16 pads the last time we were there, so hopefully the R18 pads will take the heat better.

Oh and here is the full session 4 video from the track day. This would be the session I decide that its too hot, and the tires are starting to slide. You can judge for yourself if I'm an aggressive slide the car everywhere driver.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #104
RacecarWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

IG: RacecarWRX

Here's a video outlining how to make a brake duct intake for the 2015-2017 lower grille.

https://youtu.be/4HfYIN3or2s
Old 10-10-2019, 11:21 AM   #105
RacecarWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Quick update here -

New spring have arrived and been installed into the car. Took the time to inspect the coilovers, and everything is looking great. I did notice the balls of the monoballs can now be moved by hand, I think thats just the teflon breaking in and taking a "set". The whole process was pretty painless and took about 2-3 hrs while stopping to chat with neighbors who were walking by.

We'll if the springs help with laptimes or tire wear. I also got a message from a buddy also using nankang ar1s with the exact same wear pattern, so it sounds like this might be just how the tire wears. No idea.

Last edited by RacecarWRX; 10-13-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #106
RacecarWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

I've started using the Podium platform from Autosport Labs, the manufacturer of my datalogger. The will contain every log from every track day I've done. All the data will be available to anyone and everyone to review.

There's alot more functions inside of Podium and we will look to utilize them in the coming months.

https://podium.live/u/racecarWRX
Old 10-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #107
RacecarWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Youtube: youtube.com/racecarwrx

Car gets some new brake pads today! Just in time for Laguna Seca! I pulled the R16/R12 combo out of the calipers and dropped in the new R18/R14 pads. Hopefully these stand up to the heat of Seca and we can go out there and have some fun.

Old 10-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #108
Kijho
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 311882
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
CWP

Awesome
Kijho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #109
gtsilver944
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 443043

Edit: nevermind. That is weird tire wear. I included advice for excessive edge wear before but even wear/delamination is bizarre.

Last edited by gtsilver944; 10-31-2019 at 12:32 PM.
gtsilver944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 01:31 AM   #110
RacecarWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsilver944 View Post
Edit: nevermind. That is weird tire wear. I included advice for excessive edge wear before but even wear/delamination is bizarre.
On the ar1? I spoke with a few local guys that use them, same thing. Shrugs.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:33 AM   #111
RacecarWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Fastest Lap from Laguna Seca on Monday.

https://youtu.be/BrBrlscutgc

Session 3 was also rather exciting. I had a great time chasing a few guys. However I had to sent the car off track to avoid a Vette, couldn't slow the car down as I was at the limit of the brakes.

https://youtu.be/yaESB_gB4dI
Old 11-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #112
RacecarWRX
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

A download video about Laguna Seca. Biggest take away here is 1. Still need to address brakes 2. The friction circle is starting to develop nicely.

https://youtu.be/UGRPsxbZ6YM