Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday December 12, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2019, 02:32 PM   #1
AZ_CDX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508214
Default Seating AVCS intake cams on ej255

Long time lurker, finally have somethign worth posting. I've searched NASIOC and subaruforester.org and found some stuff that helped me diagnose my problem I listed below but now my question is how do the AVCS intake cam sprockets seat? Should they slip over the dowels on cam easily with some lube and light hand pressure, or do you need to torque them for them to seat? One of my cam sprockets is damaged and needs replaced, however, if they should slip over those dowels easily, ill be replacing both cam sprockets.

My troubleshooting post from another forum is below for reference.

Fresh top end rebuild after HG blew. Spark on 2 and 4. No spark on 2 and 3. No CEL. Won't start

Swapped coils and plugs, no change. Per FSM pinned everything out and resistance is good. Counted teeth, timing dead nuts on. Pulled various sensors and throws CEL. Disabled AVCS and no change (banjo bolt filters were removed during overhaul).

Unplug both cam sensors, CEL and no change. Unplug one cam sensor, CEL and it goes into "batch firing" mode and tosses fuel and spark when any cylinder "approaches" TDC.

EJ255 exhaust sprockets are easy to align up with the keyd dowels, the AVCS intake sprockets suck my ass hole. The only thing I can come up with is the intake cam sprocket on one (or maybe both) cam is off. About to lock timing and pull the RH sprocket and hope to god its the one that's off.

Any thoughts? If you figure it out before me I'll buy you a case of beer.
AZ_CDX is offline   Reply With Quote