Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 16, 2019
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-30-2019, 11:34 PM   #1
2_Wrxxy
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 504249
Default Battery flicker 2013 wrx

This is my first post on this forum so I would appreciate any kind words of advise!
I have been having an issue with my battery light flickering in the high rpm range (usually above 4k on WOT with headlights on) I cannot replicate this flash in neutral or with lights off, and only happens when doing pulls, if I gently accelerate the light doesnt flicker. So today i replaced the battery and positive terminal (old battery and terminal where severely corroded) with no changes. I have ordered a new alternator to see if this fixes the issue. Also ordered a Haynes repair manual in hopes that if the alternator doesnt solve the problem that there will be a wiring diagram to see if there may be a ground wire issue somewhere. Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a resolution to it? I will update this post after I recieve/install the alternator. Keeping my fingers crossed it fixes it!
2_Wrxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Welcome to the forum here. You've got questions, hopefully we've got some good answers.

I think the problem may be with brushes inside the alternator. They may be wearing out or need some cleaning and if so then replacing the alternator with a good one will solve the issue. One other possibility is the fan belt tension may be slightly too loose, so check it out if you haven't done that already.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:35 AM   #3
2_Wrxxy
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar4 View Post
Welcome to the forum here. You've got questions, hopefully we've got some good answers.

I think the problem may be with brushes inside the alternator. They may be wearing out or need some cleaning and if so then replacing the alternator with a good one will solve the issue. One other possibility is the fan belt tension may be slightly too loose, so check it out if you haven't done that already.
I haven't checked the tension on the belt, as i haven't had any sort of belt cherp so it didn't even come to mind. i am getting the battery light flickering when in neutral to and getting the rpms up toward redline quickly. I am pretty positive that replacing the alternator will fix the problem. i am now having issues rolling down any of my windows so im pretty sure that the alternator is failing. i just have never had any alternator issues with any of the subies i have owned in the past, so its a new thing for me. thank you for your reply! i will update the post when i get the alternator installed, should be here next week and ill have to wait till me one day off to install it!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Checking the charging voltage will tell you real quickly what the situation is. From what you say about the windows it does sound like the alternator is dying. It would be good to also check what the voltage drop is between the alternator output lead and the positive battery post is while a good load is on the system. There should be less than 0.3 volts of drop.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
2_Wrxxy
Scooby Newbie

Well I got a new alternator from rockauto.com and it was completely destroyed (FedEx) so I had to send it back and they dont have any new ones left in stock. So now I have to wait for the warehouse to recieve the product back and 3-5 days to recieve my refund before I can search elsewhere for another alternator. Just a little follow up.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

It takes a pretty big hit to destroy an alternator while in shipment.

Last edited by Cougar4; 10-07-2019 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/05 GTO

See if you can find a local rebuilder, then pull your existing alternator and have them test it and if necessary do a rebuild. The results will be better than a parts store or online rebuilt and it will still be OEM (mostly anyway depending on the parts they use). Warranty will also be local.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:51 AM   #8
2_Wrxxy
Scooby Newbie

Default Update

So I returned the alternator to rockauto.com, went with a refurbished one from car quest. Upon replacing the alternator the connector to the alternator looked to be in good shape, but when reinstalling the pins popped out everytime (causing a battery light) I'm assuming that this is where I was getting the battery flash from in the first place. I ordered a new pigtail connector, and will be re wiring it in hopefully by next weekend. Once I get installed I will go do a few test pulls to see if the battery flicker is resolved.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #9
2_Wrxxy
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar4 View Post
It takes a pretty big hit to destroy an alternator while in shipment.
Yeah man, it was a pretty hard hit. Broke through the manufacture box, shipping box, and all the bubble wrap inside the box. And of course when fedex delivered it they laid it with the whole facing downward so I didnt see it originally. (Unless they just dropped it on my porch) 🤣🤣
Old 10-11-2019, 12:56 AM   #10
2_Wrxxy
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
See if you can find a local rebuilder, then pull your existing alternator and have them test it and if necessary do a rebuild. The results will be better than a parts store or online rebuilt and it will still be OEM (mostly anyway depending on the parts they use). Warranty will also be local.
I just ended up going with a refurbished 110amp from car quest with a limited lifetime warranty.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #11
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/05 GTO

I hope that works for you, sometimes the store rebuilds are hit-or-miss. It may actually have been properly rebuilt with new parts, or just cleaned up and hit with rebuilder's paint to look good. At least you have the warranty but it's still a nuisance if you have to use it.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:26 PM   #12
2_Wrxxy
Scooby Newbie

Default Final Update

Replaced alternator (refurbished with lifetime warranty from Car Quest) and pig tail alternator connector (New from iwireservices.com) fixed the battery flash. It may have been a connector issue, but in either case I have replaced the original alternator , can consider that preventative maintenance I guess 🤣🤣 But bottom line the battery flash issue is fixed and am seeing a much stronger/slower rpm climb through the higher rpms. Side note: if you are looking for wiring/connectors iwireservices.com is amazing with in stock items, and options. Thank you all for your input and suggestions, it has been a great help!

Last edited by 2_Wrxxy; 10-13-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:47 PM   #13
_BD_
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 508208
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2008 2.5i 5MT

I have been having a similar issue. My 08 5spd has been stalling while in gear, and all of the electronics go haywire. My seatbelt alarm won't go off, even if all seatbelts are buckled. The airbags turn off, the stereo keeps resetting, and the battery light occasionally flashes. The traction control and ABS lights also turn on with the stalls, and go away after a few seconds. The stalls will occur every 10 seconds or so while in gear. I have no issues in neutral. I have replaced the alternator with a brand new one from rockauto but that did not fix anything. The car also dies upon turning it off and needs to be jumped to restart

Last edited by _BD_; 11-11-2019 at 10:53 PM.
_BD_ is offline   Reply With Quote