Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 1, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2017, 10:43 AM   #501
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by honestabe View Post
Oh man, for a while I was happy to be out but the feelz still remain... possibly could get into a bugeye wagon, otherwise I'd only come back for a new sti with updated motor. For now I'm going down the rabbit hole of modified miatas!

Speaking of motors, how are you liking it? I haven't been on nasioc much so haven't followed your build closely but I 'member you being hesitant to go stage 2 with your wrx, for valid reasons. Planning to keep the powertrain mostly stock for this one?
Haha yeah, it was a nice break, but after about a year I got the urge again and missed it terribly. Happy to be back in something fun. Miata's are great little track cars! I always said I would rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

The STI is great. Really enjoing the refined interior and overall quality. No rattles or feeling as cheap as the WRX did. Feels a lot more solid and put together than ever. The EJ has been great! People complain how old it is, but there is no denying that it's still an incredibly fun and capable motor. Room to improve, sure, but it's still a great motor.

Yep, most likely going to keep this car stock in terms of power. I don't know whether it's me getting older or more content with simpler things in life, but I haven't thought much about upgrading the power. When it does cross my mind, it's more of a maybe I'll do it sometime in the future. With the WRX I wanted to do it right away. The STI feels as quick as my wrx did on the TP stage 1 map, which I was happy with.

My long term plan is to drive this car until I see what's happening with the new STI. After that, I will make my decision to jump to the new refresh STI or jump ship to the Golf R or if finances allow, an m3.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:34 AM   #502
Northern
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 425051
Join Date: Jul 2015
Vehicle:
2016 HyperBlue STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Yep, most likely going to keep this car stock in terms of power. I don't know whether it's me getting older or more content with simpler things in life, but I haven't thought much about upgrading the power. When it does cross my mind, it's more of a maybe I'll do it sometime in the future. With the WRX I wanted to do it right away. The STI feels as quick as my wrx did on the TP stage 1 map, which I was happy with.

My long term plan is to drive this car until I see what's happening with the new STI. After that, I will make my decision to jump to the new refresh STI or jump ship to the Golf R or if finances allow, an m3.

Keep it stock. nothing but stress comes from modding the motor, haha.
305hp is more than enough for a fun daily.
Northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #503
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
Keep it stock. nothing but stress comes from modding the motor, haha.
305hp is more than enough for a fun daily.
Agreed. The car is plenty quick for the street as a daily. Less things to worry about allows me to enjoy the car that much more. I have found that the more I do to any car, the more I worry about it. So keeping it simple and enjoying what it has to offer with some minor tweaks is always my goal.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #504
Northern
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 425051
Join Date: Jul 2015
Vehicle:
2016 HyperBlue STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Agreed. The car is plenty quick for the street as a daily. Less things to worry about allows me to enjoy the car that much more. I have found that the more I do to any car, the more I worry about it. So keeping it simple and enjoying what it has to offer with some minor tweaks is always my goal.
I struggle with not touch my motor since a lot of the guys I know down here in South Florida are all pushing 450whp+. I just think my wife would end my life if I bought a closed deck block and started building a motor.
Northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:10 PM   #505
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

I decided to go back to the oem headlights as the buldge on the Apollo headlights got the best of me. The overall performance and look of them are awesome, but the bump was too much for me to handle. Decided to sell them off and stick to stock. Going to upgrade the c lights and smoke out the amber reflector and call it a day. If someday they work the Apollo internals into a stock headlight, Iíll be first in line!

ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #506
CaptainStr8Edge
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 459119
Join Date: Dec 2016
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Mass
Vehicle:
2017 WRX limited
Lapis blue

Default

Nice looking car. Saw you were looking at wheels similar to mine so thought I could show you some pics. They are Enkie Raijins in hyper silver. Hyper black would be a little darker.

https://i.imgur.com/JaNIGfB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/REJVNUO.jpg
CaptainStr8Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #507
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStr8Edge View Post
Nice looking car. Saw you were looking at wheels similar to mine so thought I could show you some pics. They are Enkie Raijins in hyper silver. Hyper black would be a little darker.
Thanks for the pictures. Looks good! I have always been partial to darker wheels and still am enjoying my current look, but definitely see myself changing over to a lighter colored wheel in the future. For now, I am going to rock the 57dr's a little while longer until I decide on what I really want.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #508
Dalessio
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358693
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Good call on the headlights. I know retrofitting a set of base headlights is time consuming, but that'll be my plan at some point since you can get the best light output, C-light upgrade, amber delete, and paint them whatever scheme you're looking for.

Side note, be warned that the C-light upgrade for the WRX Limited/STI headlights can kill the actual headlight, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger myself. I'm not sure why it happens, and from the amount of people that have them installed vs those reporting the problem...the chances are low, but it has happened.
Dalessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #509
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalessio View Post
Good call on the headlights. I know retrofitting a set of base headlights is time consuming, but that'll be my plan at some point since you can get the best light output, C-light upgrade, amber delete, and paint them whatever scheme you're looking for.

Side note, be warned that the C-light upgrade for the WRX Limited/STI headlights can kill the actual headlight, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger myself. I'm not sure why it happens, and from the amount of people that have them installed vs those reporting the problem...the chances are low, but it has happened.
I am happy I got rid of the apollo/subispeed headlights. While the performance was there, the overall design of the headlight needs a lot of work. It just didn't look right on the car and reminded me of a dude wearing coke bottle glasses. It looked way too goofy and out of place on the car. From head on or certain side angles, it looked great. But anywhere else I was biting my tongue trying to justify keeping them. I am glad I stuck to the OEM's as the performance is not as poor as I remembered. I re-aligned them after I put them back on and got the cutoff cleaner and a bit higher. Many people don't realize that you should raise the cutoff a tad when you lower the car. After comparing the two headlights back to back, the OEM's have a lot more color flicker and color on the cutoff than the apollo's. Which I actually prefer. Not as sharp, but definitely nice.

Yes, I am an avid retrofitter as I have done quite a few sets in the past. I've done everything from full on quad projector's on my e46 m3 to simple clear lens swaps and projector upgrades. It's very rewarding work and actually what turned me into the lighting nut that I am today. Experiencing a ton of different setups and actually doing the work myself makes you really appreciate proper lighting.

Interesting. I haven't read too much on the C lights as it has been something I haven't really researched yet. I prefer the non switchback versions as I just want the c lights to be the normal white color and run as my DRL. Tint the reflector and that's it. I am not going to do any painting work as what is already blacked out in the headlights is more than enough. Some people paint the projector shroud, but it has been known to bubble if painted since it gets warm. I am opting to keep it chrome on that part as that is a headache I am going to avoid.

I've been really enjoying the current state of the car and there isn't much more that I really want to do. I keep saying I'll do this and that, but in the end keeping it simple is where I enjoy it the most. Definitely going to get tint in the near future. A 3rd brake light of some sort as I enjoy that look. A nicer shift knob and recently been thinking of a nice carbon lip and carbon side skirt extensions, but that is about it. Delta motor works just released a midpipe for their exhaust, so that is something I may be interested in as well. Most likely not even bothering with a tune on this car as I find the stock power to be plenty for a daily. Of course more would be fun, but I would rather keep it stock (performance wise) and then just upgrade to a faster car (f80 m3) when the time comes. No need to try and make a car something else it's not. Enjoy what it is and don't mess with it too much!
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #510
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default Scoobyfreak86 2017 Lapis Blue Pearl STI Journal

Quick pic from last nights brainstorming of garage project

ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #511
Dalessio
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 358693
Join Date: Jun 2013
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2013 STI Hatchback
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
I am happy I got rid of the apollo/subispeed headlights. While the performance was there, the overall design of the headlight needs a lot of work. It just didn't look right on the car and reminded me of a dude wearing coke bottle glasses. It looked way too goofy and out of place on the car. From head on or certain side angles, it looked great. But anywhere else I was biting my tongue trying to justify keeping them. I am glad I stuck to the OEM's as the performance is not as poor as I remembered. I re-aligned them after I put them back on and got the cutoff cleaner and a bit higher. Many people don't realize that you should raise the cutoff a tad when you lower the car. After comparing the two headlights back to back, the OEM's have a lot more color flicker and color on the cutoff than the apollo's. Which I actually prefer. Not as sharp, but definitely nice.

Yes, I am an avid retrofitter as I have done quite a few sets in the past. I've done everything from full on quad projector's on my e46 m3 to simple clear lens swaps and projector upgrades. It's very rewarding work and actually what turned me into the lighting nut that I am today. Experiencing a ton of different setups and actually doing the work myself makes you really appreciate proper lighting.

Interesting. I haven't read too much on the C lights as it has been something I haven't really researched yet. I prefer the non switchback versions as I just want the c lights to be the normal white color and run as my DRL. Tint the reflector and that's it. I am not going to do any painting work as what is already blacked out in the headlights is more than enough. Some people paint the projector shroud, but it has been known to bubble if painted since it gets warm. I am opting to keep it chrome on that part as that is a headache I am going to avoid.

I've been really enjoying the current state of the car and there isn't much more that I really want to do. I keep saying I'll do this and that, but in the end keeping it simple is where I enjoy it the most. Definitely going to get tint in the near future. A 3rd brake light of some sort as I enjoy that look. A nicer shift knob and recently been thinking of a nice carbon lip and carbon side skirt extensions, but that is about it. Delta motor works just released a midpipe for their exhaust, so that is something I may be interested in as well. Most likely not even bothering with a tune on this car as I find the stock power to be plenty for a daily. Of course more would be fun, but I would rather keep it stock (performance wise) and then just upgrade to a faster car (f80 m3) when the time comes. No need to try and make a car something else it's not. Enjoy what it is and don't mess with it too much!
Stop thinking along the same lines as me

I'm at the same point, I've gotten mine to basically where I want it. There are a few small things I could do but I'm not really pressed on any of it. I've done my wheels, tires, tint, 3rd brake light, minor exterior stuff, random interior bits, lighting upgrades, exhaust, intake, and an AccessPort.

As a daily, I'm in the perfect spot.

And we're on the same page with the headlights, I didn't really like the bugle from certain angles, the cutoff is sharp but I do prefer the color of our OEM LEDs. I adjusted the cutoff as well, and I agree, it made a huge difference. As far as the c-lights go, I'm not a fan of the switchbacks and only want the upgraded DRL functionality.



Sorry to hijack your thread with my photo!
Dalessio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #512
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default Scoobyfreak86 2017 Lapis Blue Pearl STI Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalessio View Post
Stop thinking along the same lines as me



I'm at the same point, I've gotten mine to basically where I want it. There are a few small things I could do but I'm not really pressed on any of it. I've done my wheels, tires, tint, 3rd brake light, minor exterior stuff (front lip and jdm grill), random interior bits, lighting upgrades, exhaust, intake, and an AccessPort.



As a daily, I'm in the perfect spot.



And we're on the same page with the headlights, I didn't really like the bugle from certain angles, the cutoff is sharp but I do prefer the color of our OEM LEDs. I adjusted the cutoff as well, and I agree, it made a huge difference. As far as the c-lights go, I'm not a fan of the switchbacks and only want the upgraded DRL functionality.


Haha great minds think alike! Leave it as is! Don't mess with it. I have done this to previous cars where I got it to a point where I liked it and then kept changing it up and ultimately made me miss the simplistic side. If you enjoy it now, just stick with it and keep it clean and maintain it. If my mind ever starts wondering of what to do next, I go wash the car, have my wife drive it while I am in another car, or park it in a new spot. Seeing it in a different way or angle usually works for me. Like last night, I backed the car into the garage. It's a small thing, but it works for me

ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #513
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Anyone have a set of enkei nt03's in 5x114 et27 in silver??
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:39 PM   #514
Obviously Tyler
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 395955
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bucks County, PA
Vehicle:
2019 Mazda 3 Premium
1999 Miata 5MT

Default

+27 is wayyyyy too much poke.
Obviously Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:55 PM   #515
Shipman
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 312847
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
2008 Legacy/2003 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Anyone have a set of enkei nt03's in 5x114 et27 in silver??
Daaaaaamn right boooiii. You can test fit with mine if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obviously Tyler View Post
+27 is wayyyyy too much poke.
I doubt it. My fronts are 27 and are fine with light negative camber. Obviously Im GD so its not the exact same but they would be fine under fenders of 15+.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #516
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default Scoobyfreak86 2017 Lapis Blue Pearl STI Journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obviously Tyler View Post
+27 is wayyyyy too much poke.

Thats the only offset of this wheel that will fit. The +40 does not work with the sti brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
Daaaaaamn right boooiii. You can test fit with mine if you want.



I doubt it. My fronts are 27 and are fine with light negative camber. Obviously Im GD so its not the exact same but they would be fine under fenders of 15+.

Iíve been wanting them but your pictures lately put me over the edge. I need em back!! Iíd love to test fit a set and see how it looks.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #517
Obviously Tyler
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 395955
Join Date: Jul 2014
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Bucks County, PA
Vehicle:
2019 Mazda 3 Premium
1999 Miata 5MT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipman View Post
I doubt it. My fronts are 27 and are fine with light negative camber. Obviously Im GD so its not the exact same but they would be fine under fenders of 15+.
I had a feeling you'd chime in lol. It'll fit but I don't think he'll be able to run a 265.
Obviously Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:12 PM   #518
Shipman
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 312847
Join Date: Mar 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: MD
Vehicle:
2006 WRX STi
2008 Legacy/2003 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Thats the only offset of this wheel that will fit. The +40 does not work with the sti brakes.

Iíve been wanting them but your pictures lately put me over the edge. I need em back!! Iíd love to test fit a set and see how it looks.
40's dont fit over any STi brakes.

Thats what I like to hear lol. Youre more than welcome to use mine but only my fronts are +27 so you wont be able to set the whole car up but itll give you the idea. Im on 235's as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obviously Tyler View Post
I had a feeling you'd chime in lol. It'll fit but I don't think he'll be able to run a 265.
Thats most likely true. Thats a lot of meat to try to get in that fender with a +27.
Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:20 PM   #519
FL4TFTW
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 256953
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Vehicle:
2014 Built DGM BRZ
2016 Fiesta ST WP Tricoat

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
I’ve been wanting them but your pictures lately put me over the edge. I need em back!! I’d love to test fit a set and see how it looks.
Don't do it.

FL4TFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:23 PM   #520
Northern
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 425051
Join Date: Jul 2015
Vehicle:
2016 HyperBlue STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Anyone have a set of enkei nt03's in 5x114 et27 in silver??
For the last few months I've debating trading my Volk TE37RT's for a set of SBC Nt03's, haha
Northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:00 AM   #521
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Just went through about 40 pages of the wheel fitment thread to find some info.

They are running -2.5 up front and -3.0 in the rear with a 265/35 Michelin PSS. I am not sure if any fender work was done, but given the camber specs, I doubt it. I think with my current rear camber, I could get away with my current tire since Michelin PSS's run super wide. Front, I would just need to add another degree of camber, which isn't a biggie.

I would be happy with -2.5 all around if I could get away with it. Owner said if he had to do it again, a 255/35 would be better. BUt that is with the PSS's. So I may be able to squeeze my current 265/35 cont dws06's in there. If not, I'll bump it down to a 255/35.

I just need to find someone who sells the +27 for a good price. I would take either silver or SBC.

Quick note: I wonder if I could get 2 +27 for the front and get 2 +40 for the rear. That way I would be fine to run current specs on the rear. Does +40 have issues fitting on the rear brakes?

https://i.imgur.com/p5QgJer.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/f0N3IIe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rObLJWl.jpg

Last edited by ScoobyFreak86; 12-07-2017 at 11:08 AM.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #522
Northern
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 425051
Join Date: Jul 2015
Vehicle:
2016 HyperBlue STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyFreak86 View Post
Quick note: I wonder if I could get 2 +27 for the front and get 2 +40 for the rear. That way I would be fine to run current specs on the rear. Does +40 have issues fitting on the rear brakes?
The rears aren't a problem, it's just the front calipers are massive on the sti.
Northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:54 AM   #523
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
The rears aren't a problem, it's just the front calipers are massive on the sti.
That is what my thought was. So it looks like my theory is correct. I think I am going to go that route. Now I just need to find a good company that can make a deal with me for a set like that.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #524
Northern
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 425051
Join Date: Jul 2015
Vehicle:
2016 HyperBlue STi

Default

Maybe it's the angle, but those fronts look like they poke out a decent amount.
Northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #525
ScoobyFreak86
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 338329
Join Date: Nov 2012
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NJ
Vehicle:
2017 STI
Lapis Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern View Post
Maybe it's the angle, but those fronts look like they poke out a decent amount.
They will. It's an aggressive offset, but believe me I can make it work. I ran some aggressive front offset wheels on previous cars and people went nuts over it and bought them like crazy. I am not too worried as camber will do a lot.
ScoobyFreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.