Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday June 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
Adremann
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 351994
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Blue

Default Loud chattering around 3.5k rpm

So within the past few months my 03 wrx sedan has developed a loud chattering noise around between 3-4k rpm with it being loudest at 3.5k rpm. This happens during decel in gear and out of gear (climbing or dropping) in that range. It quiets down if I give any throttle that accelerates the car in gear though. Does this sound like it could be a throw out bearing issue or could it just be the transmission whine for the 02-03 5 speed getting worse? I will try to get a video up later today after I get off of work. It doesn't sound like a rattle and I haven't done anything to the exhaust or the transmission in a long while. Exhaust is full catless 3 in turbo back from invidia and clutch is stock and was brand new about 4-5 years ago now. Any input appreciated.
Adremann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2019, 12:41 PM   #2
supermarkus
Scooby Guru

Member#: 6971
Vehicle:
2008 WRX STi
SSM

Check your exhaust for any clearance issues. And inspect your exhaust mounts. Check your engine mounts and pitch stop too.
supermarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
Adremann
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Blue

Engine and pitch stop mounts are aftermarket and rather stiff. I'll check to make sure they are torqued proper soon. Exhaust had a clearance issue when I installed it a couple years ago but I fixed that and haven't had a problem since. It was the down pipe tapping on something at idle.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
Adremann
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Blue

Here is some video I took. It's rather quiet in video, definitely not in person.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
Adremann
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Blue

I'll try to get another where I hold it at 3.5k rpm and maybe it will be more noticeable
Old 06-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
PVNRT
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 483821
Vehicle:
2004 WRX 2.0 18g

Have you checked condition of CV joints especially passenger front axle? Driveshaft carrier bearings? Loose lugnuts? Wheel bearings? All of those things can cause sound on decel.
PVNRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #7
Adremann
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
Midnight Blue

It happens as well when not moving or if I hold the throttle at that rpm in any gear. I haven't been able to pin point it yet. It's a lot less noticable when the car is in neutral so it's hard to find it. I'm gonna try to get it on a lift Friday and see if I can figure it out. Last thing I need is a timing belt bearing to seize.