Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday June 20, 2019
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #1
RickV
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 100488
Default What is the best repair manual for 4th Gen Outbacks

I recently bought a 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium and have been looking for the best repair manual for the 4th generation Outbacks. I always used the Haynes manuals for all of my other cars but neither Haynes or Chiltons offer a manual for those years of Outbacks. I really want a super comprehensive detailed complete tear-down/rebuild type of service manual like the Haynes or Chiltons but even better. I find some online as I GOOGLE but they are PDF downloads. I DON'T want a PDF download I want a 300+ page paper tomb that I can actually thumb through, write down notes in and stick my sticky note book marks in and keep it on the coffee table!!! Anybody got any suggestions and where to obtain such a thing???

Last edited by RickV; 06-11-2019 at 09:25 PM.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
DrD
Scooby Guru

Member#: 22412
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy 2.5GT
Ice Silver Metallic

the best/most complete are the Subaru OEM manuals. I downloaded them from the techinfo site back when I got my car - the downloaded manuals total almost 6400 pages... a 300 page "tome" isn't nearly as complete. You can always print out what you need and write on, etc. that.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 PM   #3
RickV
Scooby Newbie

Thanks DrD!!! I was kind of wondering about the OEM service manuals but was worried more about the price tag. I still would like the physical manual if possible. I will check those OEM's out. I'm old school and still like to read books and feel what it's like to turn a page and the smell of the print!!! LOL
Old 06-12-2019, 12:22 AM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

I have a Haynes for my 1998 LGT for quick basic stuff. It's only 1" thick.
I also have the full OEM set.....something like 14 3 ring binders. I had to get the 1996, then the addons for 97 & 98.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:41 AM   #5
RickV
Scooby Newbie

Charlie-III Haynes doesn't make manuals for the 4th Gen Outbacks and the motors and transmissions are completely different.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

Manual or CVT? The manuals are a cable shift but they're still a split case design like the prior gen. You're not apt to do anything inside the CVT though. The early Leg/OB tr690s had a bad torque converter design, and as the thrust bearing wears, the bleed off drain path for lockup fluid gets smaller and smaller, causing it to unlock slowly, eventually it might stall coming to a stop. Other than that, the "lifetime" fluid gets pretty gnarly looking, and I'd recommend swapping it out at like 90k intervals or so.

The engine is more or less the same, it's still an EJ25. There are some notable differences of course, but general maintenance stuff shouldn't be much different.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 PM   #7
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Charlie-III Haynes doesn't make manuals for the 4th Gen Outbacks and the motors and transmissions are completely different.
Ermmmm......I kinda got that from your first post.......I was stating what I had for my 98..,,,the full OEM manual is ginormous.....

That aside, I am willing to bet many engine specs still follow as well as a bunch of suspension...but....to be safe, a full set of manuals from SoA is in your future....yes, I like paper as well....but Frikkin 14 binders is a wee bit much.....
Most other cars I can order a full set of manuals (body, chassis, mechanical & electrical) and maybe it's a 8" thick run....
Not sure if SoA does for your year like it did for mine....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:43 AM   #8
CosmoTheCat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3409
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
98 My FMIC
Is bigger than yours.

I don't believe Subaru still offers paper manuals, and I don't think they have for a while. I know they stopped even making the PDFs back in like 2015 or so, and anything newer required going through the HTML side. They wanted to get away from PDFs and go to the HTML so they could easily update stuff and create hyperlinks easier. Oh well, progress is progress.

The 2010 Forester manual is about 3600 pages, 140mb or so for the PDF. You could subscribe to STIS and download the appropriate manual for your vehicle, and then print it out and stick it in binders, if you were so inclined. Duplex it and that's only 1800 pages to hole punch and stick in a binder.
CosmoTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote