Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 5, 2020
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #1
Something Cool Here
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238734
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Hatch
Spark Silver

Default S209 Block in 2008 STi

Alright so I blew up my ring lands on piston #4 in my STi and ordered a new block. I got my hands on a brand new block from Subaru for an S209. Probably wonít be here for another 60 days. Turns out newer EJís have piston crowns that are 2mm thicker. Iíve tried searching but found nothing (not sure if this is even the right category so bare with me Iím sorry).

My question is: what will need to be done in order for this block to work with my stock w25 heads from a 2008 STi ej257?

Thanks in advance!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Something Cool Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
Hoon Goon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 335538
Join Date: Oct 2012
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: TN
Vehicle:
2007 STi - Kornluvr
WRB

Default

Nothing special needs to be done. Itís a straight bolt-in job.
Hoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
JP Chestnut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

Is there actually such a thing as an "S209" block? It's just a regular production engine with some new bolt on parts fitted.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
stu
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 25768
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: CO springs
Vehicle:
2003 GEN2 GTX35 40++
2.3 slobaru

Default

type RA has forged pistons. It will bolt right up

Last edited by stu; 12-17-2019 at 09:00 PM.
stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu View Post
type RA has forged pistons. It will bolt right up
That's not correct. It has a higher quality cast piston.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
Something Cool Here
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238734
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Hatch
Spark Silver

Default S209 Block in 2008 STi

From my understanding the type ra has a higher quality piston and the s209 has forged rods and forged pistons

And I was told by rallysportdirect the type ra block will not bolt right up to my heads since 15+ ejís have 2mm larger piston crowns. Guess Iíll have to wait until the block is here to see for sure. My guess is thick af head gaskets

Was curious if anyone has done a type ra or at least a 15+ block on w25 heads from an 08-14 sti
Something Cool Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
JP Chestnut
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 504432
Join Date: Jul 2019
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default

The S209 has the same bottom end as the 2019+ base STI as far as I know - hence the huge complaint fest in the s209 thread.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #8
Scorpius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Indiana
Vehicle:
2019 WRX/STI DGM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Cool Here View Post
From my understanding the type ra has a higher quality piston and the s209 has forged rods and forged pistons

And I was told by rallysportdirect the type ra block will not bolt right up to my heads since 15+ ejís have 2mm larger piston crowns. Guess Iíll have to wait until the block is here to see for sure. My guess is thick af head gaskets

Was curious if anyone has done a type ra or at least a 15+ block on w25 heads from an 08-14 sti
Wrong. Type RA and S209 do NOT have forged internals.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:35 PM   #9
WRXnick16
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 447898
Join Date: May 2016
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: W Sac, CA
Vehicle:
2016 WRX (traded)
2019 STI CWP

Default

^ What they said.

The 19+ STI, Type RA & S209 all share the same short block. This cast pistons are improved compared to previous years.

https://www.comeanddriveit.com/engin...-sti-internals
WRXnick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #10
Something Cool Here
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238734
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Hatch
Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Wrong. Type RA and S209 do NOT have forged internals.


They have different part #ís and when ordering it the parts warehouse guy (I work at a dealership and placed the order) said it had forged internals not that he knows for sure. But he did say it was going to take awhile because it is built to order by STi in Japan and flown over as a single unit...so weíll see if I even end up getting it.

Iím trying to find out if it can handle more power than my old stock block did at least haha. Not going for 800whp just 400 ballpark
Something Cool Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:46 PM   #11
Scorpius
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 370806
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Northern Indiana
Vehicle:
2019 WRX/STI DGM
2016 WRX/STI ISM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Cool Here View Post
They have different part #ís and when ordering it the parts warehouse guy (I work at a dealership and placed the order) said it had forged internals not that he knows for sure. But he did say it was going to take awhile because it is built to order by STi in Japan and flown over as a single unit...so weíll see if I even end up getting it.

Iím trying to find out if it can handle more power than my old stock block did at least haha. Not going for 800whp just 400 ballpark
Just because they have different part numbers doesn't make the S209/Type RA have forged internals. You're wrong and you have no clue how to do a quick search on google.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #12
Something Cool Here
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238734
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Hatch
Spark Silver

Default

Okay this got a little off topic but that does make sense as to why it was actually cheaper than the correct part # for my car.

Back to the actual question. Has anyone ever used this block, that now I know is basically any 18+ ej257 block, with w25 heads?
Something Cool Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #13
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

all STI's have forged crankshafts and forged connecting rods....so forged internals. The RA pistons became standard for all STI's including the S209 so they all have forged internals except for the pistons. If they had forged pistons than one could say they are "Fully Forged" blocks.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #14
Something Cool Here
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238734
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Hatch
Spark Silver

Default

Thatís not the question I donít care not the point of this thread at all.

I wanna know how this block will bolt up to w25 heads since they have a 2mm larger piston crown

Do not reply if you havenít done something similar and donít have any real response

Thanks
Something Cool Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #15
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Just because they have different part numbers doesn't make the S209/Type RA have forged internals. You're wrong and you have no clue how to do a quick search on google.
Most of your posts includes random unsolicited cut downs. Looking to get banned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Cool Here View Post
That’s not the question I don’t care not the point of this thread at all.

I wanna know how this block will bolt up to w25 heads since they have a 2mm larger piston crown

Do not reply if you haven’t done something similar and don’t have any real response

Thanks
Reach out to Yimisport in Santa Clarita. They know quite a bit about this block and have tuned it to 550whp (yeah it's an EJ to the FA fanboi's) with untouched internals.

Also, there may be something off with your tune/map to have damaged the ring land.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:39 PM   #16
NighthawkSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 495630
Join Date: Dec 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Cool Here View Post
Thatís not the question I donít care not the point of this thread at all.

I wanna know how this block will bolt up to w25 heads since they have a 2mm larger piston crown

Do not reply if you havenít done something similar and donít have any real response

Thanks
The compression height is the same and the valve relief depths are the same for the standard pistons and the RA pistons.
NighthawkSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #17
Something Cool Here
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 238734
Join Date: Feb 2010
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Vehicle:
2010 WRX Hatch
Spark Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkSTI View Post
The compression height is the same and the valve relief depths are the same for the standard pistons and the RA pistons.


Okay cool thank you. I honestly think Iím gonna cancel the order and just hone my block and put forged internals in it and call it day

Not sure if it was my tune or wastegate but I was hitting about 30 psi of boost instead of 18 so Iím not surprised it happened
Something Cool Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #18
Fierysun
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 82745
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: So Cal
Vehicle:
2005 Subaru STI
2003 EJ207 S204 Wagon

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Something Cool Here View Post
Okay cool thank you. I honestly think Iím gonna cancel the order and just hone my block and put forged internals in it and call it day

Not sure if it was my tune or wastegate but I was hitting about 30 psi of boost instead of 18 so Iím not surprised it happened
That is going to be a can of worms. Good luck.
Fierysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:31 PM   #19
SithSTI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 508661
Join Date: Nov 2019
Default

I just put a type ra block in my 2012 STI. I am having issues with the timing belt tensioner clacking and not keeping good tension but I believe it's because I have a tensioner meant for a 2012 when in 2015 they updated only STIs to a new tensioner.
SithSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2020 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.