Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday February 3, 2023
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #101
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
AR Giulia,Tesla MY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledrummerboy View Post
That’s a pretty crappy implementation. You’d think they’d just take Toyota’s hybrid tech that only needs one 12V.
Not sure. Needs extra juice to start up that boxer.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:15 PM   #102
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
AR Giulia,Tesla MY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Looks like the Crosstrek gets similar aero as the WRX:

Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 02:57 PM   #103
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRodrigues View Post
In my quest to learn something new today that I haven't yet learned and forgotten already, what's the red thing in the passenger footwell?

Is that the new "breathe to start" drunk driving prevention device? Hows someone gonna get down there?
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:22 PM   #104
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 JEEP / RAM
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Yup, thats overstyled.
cannot be said enough.

^^^^

spot on.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:24 PM   #105
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 JEEP / RAM
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default



Same category? Man, Subaru is going 6 sigma ugly on all cars these days.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 03:55 PM   #106
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquemada View Post
much ado about nothing
What were you expecting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledrummerboy View Post
I like it, especially the front. I wonder if it'll get a wilderness trim

That e-boxer setup is interesting - looks like two 12V batteries in that engine bay shot? I'm not familiar with how they do the e-boxer thing so that's new to me.
Yes it will.


Quote:
Originally Posted by littledrummerboy View Post
That's a pretty crappy implementation. You'd think they'd just take Toyota's hybrid tech that only needs one 12V.
The Starter/Altenator. Likely developed earlier. It's proprietary to Subaru. And I'm sure the plug-in is where they took your advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
In my quest to learn something new today that I haven't yet learned and forgotten already, what's the red thing in the passenger footwell?

Is that the new "breathe to start" drunk driving prevention device? Hows someone gonna get down there?

Japanese cars require a flare. I didn't realize it was still a thing. I lit mine in my JDM Justy when we lived over there from 90-92(2nd time mind you) and during an inspection, I got "in trouble" for it not being there. No big deal. They just put another one in and charged me.
JustyWRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:10 PM   #107
4S-TURBO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 67807
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post


Same category? Man, Subaru is going 6 sigma ugly on all cars these days.
What was Hyundai thinking? There's a spot RIGHT THERE for a big unpainted black plastic flare and it's like they forgot it on purpose.
4S-TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 05:15 PM   #108
JRodrigues
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 149337
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Portugal
Vehicle:
2016 MX-5
Soul Red

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post


Same category? Man, Subaru is going 6 sigma ugly on all cars these days.
If Crosstrek is ugly, Kona is what? Shrek???
JRodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:49 PM   #109
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yeah, well, you know
Vehicle:
that 's, like, your
alternate facts, man.

Default

I look forward to the headlines: "Long COVID-19 Loss of Taste to Blame for Subaru Design Studio Failures"
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 06:50 PM   #110
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Yeah, well, you know
Vehicle:
that 's, like, your
alternate facts, man.

Default

Double post alternate headline: "Subaru: Lack of Optical Plans for Employees Rumored to be Contributing Factor to Declining Sales."

It looks like a Gundam lozenge.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:23 PM   #111
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Ya'll been hating on the designs for the whole decade they were destroying their sales records month after month after month after month(contemplated doing this 93 times). I know I'm no design guru. Farthest from it; but, I've learned y'all are clearly in the minority.
JustyWRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:35 PM   #112
Bluefoton
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 141373
Join Date: Feb 2007
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: Quebec, QC
Vehicle:
2022 Crosstrek Sport
6MT

Default

The rear isn't bad at all IMHO.

11.6" infotainment... meh. Getting in the car at -25C with gloves on, knobs and buttons are way more user-friendly. Touchscreen suck in winter climates when the car is stationed outside.

Return of actual fuel and coolant temperature gauges?

Dropping the 8.7" ground clerance to 7.9, it's a first - likely for better fuel economy and for more difference with the upcoming wilderness? Forester/Outback wilderness is 9.2/9.5, while both sit at 8.7 in regular versions.

Overall, I think it'll continue selling like cupcakes. Waiting for the ICE engine list though

Front: I like mine better.


Last edited by Bluefoton; 09-16-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Bluefoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 08:40 PM   #113
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Personally, I really like it. Someone said it's like a mini Outback which is spot on, I'm quite fond of the styling on both of those cars. Obviously, looks are highly subjective, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I'm more curious to find out what powertrains will be available in the U.S., as well as pricing and trim level-specific details.

I will agree with most others in saying that I'm not a fan of the huge infotainment in the middle, I much prefer physical controls.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:33 PM   #114
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 JEEP / RAM
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Ya'll been hating on the designs for the whole decade they were destroying their sales records month after month after month after month(contemplated doing this 93 times). I know I'm no design guru. Farthest from it; but, I've learned y'all are clearly in the minority.
Nope not true
Just the latest gen is especially terrible
They can sell well. Common people have common taste. Enthusiasts care
Subaru does not build enthusiast cars anymore. They don’t even build cars worthy of an enthusiast website.

Soon all there will be is threads about which hemp based floor mat is easier to clean. But yup they sell well

More common folks than enthusiasts
Subaru is following the money. All the green carbon neutral crap is just marketing

The STI is dead because it’s too extreme for subaru to build.

I Lament the loss of the old Subaru I use to know.
Now It’s all granola and staring at sunsets in your Patagonia warm ups
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:41 PM   #115
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
Nope not true
Just the latest gen is especially terrible
They can sell well. Common people have common taste. Enthusiasts care
Subaru does not build enthusiast cars anymore. They don't even build cars worthy of an enthusiast website.

Soon all there will be is threads about which hemp based floor mat is easier to clean. But yup they sell well

More common folks than enthusiasts
Subaru is following the money. All the green carbon neutral crap is just marketing

The STI is dead because it's too extreme for subaru to build.

I Lament the loss of the old Subaru I use to know.
Now It's all granola and staring at sunsets in your Patagonia warm ups

I think this is the best looking Crosstrek of the 3. But, I'll hold total judgment till I see the US version. I'm sure they'll change something.

Elaborate on what you mean about carbon neutral being just marketing? Specifically please.

And the Subaru you "use to know"? You just going back 20 years of their 50 year history? Gotcha. They are the same company they have always been.
JustyWRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:58 PM   #116
rexster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22863
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: The Land of Mary
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, 2022 Fozzy
Painted fender collection

Default

The ugly fender-pox virus continues to spread. Glad I picked up a forester before it catches it.
rexster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 10:59 PM   #117
rexster
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22863
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: The Land of Mary
Vehicle:
2015 WRX, 2022 Fozzy
Painted fender collection

Default

One click double post
rexster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:24 AM   #118
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
AR Giulia,Tesla MY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
Ya'll been hating on the designs for the whole decade they were destroying their sales records month after month after month after month(contemplated doing this 93 times). I know I'm no design guru. Farthest from it; but, I've learned y'all are clearly in the minority.
Sometimes it confounds me how people like a lot of the styling. I also think it is odd that we almost never know WHO the designer is for Subaru. I know the B9 Tribeca and concepts had Zapatinas, but since then who? Is it design by committee? Perhaps that is why it's never cohesive. No single person had a vision, and oversaw its implementation.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:58 AM   #119
SCRAPPYDO
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 873
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: www.testdrivemylife.com
Vehicle:
2020 JEEP / RAM
Datsun 71 240Z & 68 2000

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
I think this is the best looking Crosstrek of the 3. But, I'll hold total judgment till I see the US version. I'm sure they'll change something.

Elaborate on what you mean about carbon neutral being just marketing? Specifically please.

And the Subaru you "use to know"? You just going back 20 years of their 50 year history? Gotcha. They are the same company they have always been.
This is a weak minded thing to say. It is beneath you. Subaru will never be a carbon neutral company. Neither will any other car maker. Carbon neutral is marketing based on an empirical formula. Like made in the USA. ONly has to be 51% made in the USA for some good, or contain 51% made in the USA components.

They are a huge car maker using metal and plastic that will go into a land fill somewhere eventually. They can put as many solar panels on the roof as they want but it is all a numbers game. The people that work there breath and exhale CO2. Carbon neutral is marketing BS. IF you make something you use energy and pollute. Period. You can hide that with carbon credits to 'balance' things out, but at some point you have sewage, trash, metal chips, and energy used to recycle them. You have cargo ships, sub vendors.

I am glad they are trying to be cleaner company, that should always be praised. But its all feel good stuff that really makes zero measurable difference. Especially when their cars get some of the worst gas mileage in every respective category.

I still sort of like the outback, but the latest version looks ugly on the screen. In person it may look better. This new crosstrek is horribly overdone and they should have stopped adding 'flair' to it a long time ago.
SCRAPPYDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:29 AM   #120
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRAPPYDO View Post
This is a weak minded thing to say. It is beneath you. Subaru will never be a carbon neutral company. Neither will any other car maker. Carbon neutral is marketing based on an empirical formula. Like made in the USA. ONly has to be 51% made in the USA for some good, or contain 51% made in the USA components.

They are a huge car maker using metal and plastic that will go into a land fill somewhere eventually. They can put as many solar panels on the roof as they want but it is all a numbers game. The people that work there breath and exhale CO2. Carbon neutral is marketing BS. IF you make something you use energy and pollute. Period. You can hide that with carbon credits to 'balance' things out, but at some point you have sewage, trash, metal chips, and energy used to recycle them. You have cargo ships, sub vendors.

I am glad they are trying to be cleaner company, that should always be praised. But its all feel good stuff that really makes zero measurable difference. Especially when their cars get some of the worst gas mileage in every respective category.

I still sort of like the outback, but the latest version looks ugly on the screen. In person it may look better. This new crosstrek is horribly overdone and they should have stopped adding 'flair' to it a long time ago.


I understand and agree with your points. Let me ask something different then. I must have missed where they claim/advertise "carbon neutral"?

Their plants are "Zero landfill". Meaning everything THEY do doesn't end up in one. YOU'LL throw away more trash TODAY that ends up in a landfill than SIA has in 15+ years. They recycle or reuse EVERYTHING. Including the dust they clean up off the floor. What I witnessed when I was there in their effort to recycle was pretty neat.


Now.....are they lying about "Zero Landfill"? I dunno; but, suspect they could get "in trouble" or fined otherwise. I was just confused about your "carbon neutral" statement and why I asked for an ellaboration.


I'd say if you are challenging that, email them and ask for clarification on the points you don't believe.
JustyWRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:39 AM   #121
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
Sometimes it confounds me how people like a lot of the styling. I also think it is odd that we almost never know WHO the designer is for Subaru. I know the B9 Tribeca and concepts had Zapatinas, but since then who? Is it design by committee? Perhaps that is why it's never cohesive. No single person had a vision, and oversaw its implementation.
I've been around Subarus 40+ years. Never really heard anyone say they are "beautiful" cars and have heard, like all of us, the "they are ugly/quirky....whatever" comments pretty much the whole time. What I have heard, since being at the retailer, is people saying how much better they have looked in recent years. Occasionally will hear a complaint about the cladding; but, it's really not common. The most complaints about looks is the interior color options......when it's not an option on some exterior colors. The brown interiors are a 50/50 love/hate mix.

It is a subjective thing certainly. There are cars I've seen people say were some of the best looking cars EVER and I'm just over here . I don't typically care. I've said it before I HATE the bugeye; but, woulda got it if that styling was still the option when I got my STi. THANK GOODNESS it wasn't.
JustyWRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #122
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
AR Giulia,Tesla MY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
I've been around Subarus 40+ years. Never really heard anyone say they are "beautiful" cars and have heard, like all of us, the "they are ugly/quirky....whatever" comments pretty much the whole time. What I have heard, since being at the retailer, is people saying how much better they have looked in recent years. Occasionally will hear a complaint about the cladding; but, it's really not common. The most complaints about looks is the interior color options......when it's not an option on some exterior colors. The brown interiors are a 50/50 love/hate mix.

It is a subjective thing certainly. There are cars I've seen people say were some of the best looking cars EVER and I'm just over here . I don't typically care. I've said it before I HATE the bugeye; but, woulda got it if that styling was still the option when I got my STi. THANK GOODNESS it wasn't.
Subaru has had a handful of "great looking" cars: '03-09 Legacy (especially Spec.B), BRZ, and to me the 2011 wide-body and updated 2018 WRX. They just had great lines, aggressive w/o being flamboyant and styling that could endure.

The bugeye was quirky, but the blobeye was beautiful in comparison. I had an '05 w/ the dark headlights, SAAB interior and painted side skirts. Made the '04 update and bugeye look terrible.

I don't expect Subaru to look like an Alfa Romeo. They are on a different planet with the craftsmanship and design language spoken by their world renowned teams.

However, there is a line between quirky, pug-cute, and repulsive.

The 2013 Impreza hatch for example had a lot of Dodge Caliber hard angles that allegedly were for MPGs, but just looked weird. The B9 Tribeca was a mess, but the SAAB refresh was very nice. The latest Legacy chrome-wing-nose bar is terrible. The latest Outback has moments, but the Ultimate Warrior face paint cladding, while good on the Solterra, is off on the Outback. The new Crosstrek barnacle grille, crab claw bumper, and melting Mazda face are odd. There are a lot of questionable designs of late, and the WRX butt is the worst offender.

Last edited by Snow Drift; 09-16-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:12 PM   #123
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Drift View Post
Subaru has had a handful of "great looking" cars: '03-09 Legacy (especially Spec.B), BRZ, and to me the 2011 wide-body and updated 2018 WRX. They just had great lines, aggressive w/o being flamboyant and styling that could endure.

The bugeye was quirky, but the blobeye was beautiful in comparison. I had an '05 w/ the dark headlights, SAAB interior and painted side skirts. Made the '04 update and bugeye look terrible.

I don't expect Subaru to look like an Alfa Romeo. They are on a different planet with the craftsmanship and design language spoken by their world renowned teams.

However, there is a line between quirky, pug-cute, and repulsive.

The 2013 Impreza hatch for example had a lot of Dodge Caliber hard angles that allegedly were for MPGs, but just looked weird. The B9 Tribeca was a mess, but the SAAB refresh was very nice. The latest Legacy chrome-wing-nose bar is terrible. The latest Outback has moments, but the Ultimate Warrior face paint cladding, while good on the Solterra, is off on the Outback. The new Crosstrek barnacle grille, crab claw bumper, and melting Mazda face are odd. There are a lot of questionable designs of late, and the WRX butt is the worst offender.

And I'm pretty much the opposite to most of that. I did think the '05 Legacy was a good step forward for looks; but, have liked all the versions since more. I have never liked an Alpha design and NOONE, including the SOA person that told me, can convince me that Zapatinas wasn't using his Alpha experience on Subaru. I scrolled right on by the B-11S looking for Subarus at that autoshow(online) cause my brain saw "Alpha" with that front end. Even look at the B-9 tail end and see the similarities to the Alpha Kamal concept. SOOOOOOOOO happy that failed and they moved on. Now, the Impreza/WRX/STI version of that worked the best and isn't horrible. I'd have zero issue owning that. But, saw an R-2 while in Japan and just shook my head.
JustyWRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:32 PM   #124
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

And see? Everyone has their own opinion, and nobody is wrong or right. Looks are subjective.

Now, stats and specs, there is more of a right vs. wrong there. HP/torque, acceleration times, MPG, braking distance, ground clearance - these are all things that we can objectively compare between one car or another. Looks, not so much.

FWIW (and purely anecdotal of course), I see a TON of current-gen Outbacks and Crosstreks around here. They seem to be selling very well, and generally speaking I would guess that the masses like how they look.
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:33 PM   #125
YungBoba
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Anaheim
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

EDIT: NASIOC, stop this DP nonsense immediately
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2023 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.