Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 22, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Old 03-10-2018, 10:45 PM   #1
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 483039
Default zhy's 2005 2.5RS Wagon

I am making this thread to introduce myself and my impreza. I will post here as soon as there is an update with my car, just to track things!
In 2012 (before university) I bought my first manual car, which I really loved and it was a great experience to get myself to wrench and learn about cars.
I really miss it.
Here is the thread

It quickly became a rust bucket (mazdas...........) and I was headed to university so I had to sell it to be able to put food in the fridge.
Come a few years later, I am now a graduate student with slave wage, but after not owning a car for 4 years I decided to treat myself, in the form of a car Ive wanted for a while now... Subaru!
I was hooked on the looks of the blob-eye, and alwais loved the practicality AND looks of a wagon!. I searched for the right car for 2 months until I saw this immatulate, clean, everything-on-record Impreza wagon. After calling a few dealerships to track maintenance I went and bought it. Pretty rare to find a car which has more than 10 yrs and isn't a rust bucket where I live !

Right away after buying, bought some FAST wheels. These are an intermediate as I really want 04/07 BBS STi wheels.

Fast forward a few weeks later... Terrible winter conditions and black-iced roads made me go hors-piste and smash into a truck. Bad bad news.

Notice the gap difference between the door and fender? yeah.
Ended up having to get the lower control arm replaced as the wheel was terribly offet back from the collision, as well as smashing the headlight and the side mirror (which I ended up replacing quickly to be road-legal)
After 2 months of not beeing able to find a color-matching pannel, I ended up buying a rust-free one off a grey wagon paint it

100, 150, wet 400grit sanding

Primed, painted & clearcoated. I also gave the same treatment to a door handle as one of mine isn't retracting when pulled

Sittin pretty with a nice view of my private (see : illegal) parking spot directly from my lab!

Last edited by zhy; 03-10-2018 at 11:07 PM.
zhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2018, 10:59 PM   #2
Scooby Newbie
Member#: 483039

With a free weekend, I decided to do the blackout headlight mod (might as well do it while there's a burned out headlight bulb and you need to pull the headlight!)

Here's the protocol I followed for the blacked out headlight mod
1- Remove headlights from the car
2- Remove the 9 screws, bracket & bulbs from the headlight
3- Heat headlight assembly at 200 for 15min
4- Remove lens from assembly.
5- Paint housing dark grey
6- Remove the 2 orange reflectors
7- Reassemble the headlight and bake 10min at 200
8- When wet, wetsand with 400 then 1000grit, then 3 coats of clear

Before & after clearcoat!

Here's how the day started

And how it ended after going through the carwash!

I love this little bug. I need to make a list of everything I want/need/going to do that car in the future.
You may have noticed the fender doesn't completely match the car doors, even though the color match is there. I haven't done anything to it after clearcoat. Maybe it will be less ''matte'' with some wax/polish? Can someone chime in here?
zhy is offline   Reply With Quote