Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday October 15, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > FA Series Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2018, 01:16 AM   #1176
m3n0_wrx
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 465471
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: California
Vehicle:
2017 Subaru WRX
Crystal White Pearl

Default 2015 WRX Dyno Thread

2017 WRX

Grimmspeed TMIC

Grimmspeed Charge pipe

Grimmspeed EBCS

MA Performance full exhaust system w/ muffler deletes

MA Performance intake

317whp 342wtq on 91
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
m3n0_wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:12 PM   #1177
newsubylvr60
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 462306
Join Date: Feb 2017
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Allentown Pa.
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Lapis Blue

Default

I'm reading all these posts on tuning the motors and I'm tempted to do same, but does a tuned motor with TGV deletes and EGR blockoff plates pass emissions in Pa. I know they also do an OBD check in addition to dyno checks on the exhaust. It also states they do a visual inspect also. Does anyone have any experience with this from Pa.?
newsubylvr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:06 PM   #1178
rexblake
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 178426
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: FoCo
Vehicle:
2010 S4
Gray

Default

In my experience with emissions people, they have no idea what they are looking at. The last car I had tested I had to argue with the manager about what engine was in the car (hint, it was the stock engine).
rexblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #1179
Lapwrx87
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 470405
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

Got the car tuned this past Friday at Bren tunning.

2017 wrx 16k miles
Tgv deletes
3 port Ebcs
Cobb accessport V3
Protune
Car ended up making 307whp/316wtq

Trying to post the dyno sheet/numbers
Lapwrx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #1180
Lapwrx87
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 470405
Join Date: Jul 2017
Default

delete

Last edited by Lapwrx87; 04-08-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Lapwrx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:18 PM   #1181
snake32
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 167338
Join Date: Dec 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
11 Wrx hatch
Dgm

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeliesteve View Post
This is off the Mustang dyno. 362/352 with typical bolt ons and flex fuel on E50 tuned by the master himself Ron Watson!

[IMG][/IMG]
Care to share what break-in procedure you went with or if none at all? seems like that engine it's making more and better powerband, factory freak possibly
snake32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #1182
GlarryHoodDIT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 460907
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

Those numbers aren't really out of line for a full exhaust, Flex fuel, EBCS and whatever else he probably has. Bone stock cars with only FF were making almost 300whp at E50.
GlarryHoodDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 11:53 PM   #1183
wheeliesteve
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 455200
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Near Dallas,Texas
Vehicle:
2017 WRX
DGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake32 View Post
Care to share what break-in procedure you went with or if none at all? seems like that engine it's making more and better powerband, factory freak possibly
I just did the normal break in on the motor keeping it below 4k rpms until I got over a thousand miles on the motor.
wheeliesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #1184
IronmanDaremo
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 461956
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
White

Default

2017 WRX Premium, 10k miles

SRS resonated J-pipe
Torque Solution TGV deletes
Torque Solution EGR delete
Grimmspeed 3-port EBCS
Boomba BPV
Cobb AP V3

e-tuned by Clark Turner tuning

Virtual dyno of my latest 3rd gear pull I sent for tweaking. Had to zoom in for the chart because it rocketed up to 41000hp on the plot for some reason at redline. SAE corrected, 279whp/318wtq. Uncorrected it was 290whp/328wtq.

Stock everything else.



(Not sure why the image isn't working).

Last edited by IronmanDaremo; 04-19-2018 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Picture no workey
IronmanDaremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #1185
mp9475
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477459
Join Date: Nov 2017
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Mass
Vehicle:
2018 WRX
Crystal White Pearl

Default

2018 WRX

TGV Delete
Grimmspeed EBCS
Borla Catback
Bren Protune

293hp/303tq
mp9475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #1186
rain164845y
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 419917
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by musubie View Post
2018 WRX

Mods-
Cobb Flex Fuel
DW300C
EGR/TGV deletes
Grimmspeed TMIC and charge pipe
Grimmspeed EBCS
Grimmspeed catted J pipe to Invidia Q300
Boomba BPV
I've been seeing 19.6 max boost.

91 - 284whp/315wtq
e54 - 366whp/352wtq

Dyno tuned by THE Ron Watson of Phatbotti Tuning, Anaheim, CA. There is no substitute.
Do you have exhaust video? I have q300 but don't really want to much more noise.
rain164845y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 02:35 AM   #1187
Tmcoolin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 477900
Join Date: Nov 2017
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Orange county, ny
Vehicle:
2015 WRX Premium
WRB

Default

2015 WRX

65,000 miles

Cobb J pipe w/ invidia catback

Cobb sf intake

Egr/tgv deletes

Cobb ebcs

Max boost 19.0 psi

93 Oct. - 273 WHP/ 307 WTQ

EFI Logics, Mustang Dyno
Tmcoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:32 PM   #1188
DoomAtom
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458514
Join Date: Nov 2016
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

2015 WRX:

33,XXX miles (second engine...blew up first one)

TGV / EGR delete

Grimmspeed TMIC / light weight pulley

Catless Cobb Turboback exhaust

Steamspeed 67+ (blew up stock turbo along with first engine)

Stock Intake

228WHP / 243WTQ on 91 octane - max boost 22.5PSI (Dyno Dynamics on winter tires)
DoomAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #1189
Deathfly7
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 483661
Join Date: Mar 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomAtom View Post
2015 WRX:

33,XXX miles (second engine...blew up first one)

TGV / EGR delete

Grimmspeed TMIC / light weight pulley

Catless Cobb Turboback exhaust

Steamspeed 67+ (blew up stock turbo along with first engine)

Stock Intake

228WHP / 243WTQ on 91 octane - max boost 22.5PSI (Dyno Dynamics on winter tires)
Isn't that lower than stock?
Deathfly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #1190
DoomAtom
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458514
Join Date: Nov 2016
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathfly7 View Post
Isn't that lower than stock?
When I had the car first tuned on stock turbo and summer tires (with all of the other above listed mods), it made approximately 220WHP on the same exact same dyno that Grimmspeed used to determine their stock FA20DIT as making approximately 160WHP. They acknowledged it read lower than most other Dynos.

After my catastrophe happened, I had my rebuild and tune done at a different shop which also has a low reading dyno (it's a loaded dyno). The tuner advised that winter tires read about 15-20% lower than summer/performance tires on his dyno. I also had it tuned more conservatively since there are a few gas stations where I travel that cater to older vehicles and dont have ethanol mixed in.

Shootout mode showed about 300WHP /330WTQ. I'm confident if I went back to do another pull or two, now that I have my summer set and turned up the "oomph" with 93, it would make quite a bit more.
DoomAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 AM   #1191
ayau
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332408
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomAtom View Post
When I had the car first tuned on stock turbo and summer tires (with all of the other above listed mods), it made approximately 220WHP on the same exact same dyno that Grimmspeed used to determine their stock FA20DIT as making approximately 160WHP. They acknowledged it read lower than most other Dynos.

After my catastrophe happened, I had my rebuild and tune done at a different shop which also has a low reading dyno (it's a loaded dyno). The tuner advised that winter tires read about 15-20% lower than summer/performance tires on his dyno. I also had it tuned more conservatively since there are a few gas stations where I travel that cater to older vehicles and dont have ethanol mixed in.

Shootout mode showed about 300WHP /330WTQ. I'm confident if I went back to do another pull or two, now that I have my summer set and turned up the "oomph" with 93, it would make quite a bit more.
I know where you went to for the dyno. I'm also from MN

My E50 15+ WRX made 295 WHP and 365 WHP (shootout mode). I was knocking a little at 5.8k+ RPM. I think I had low ethanol gas.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:54 AM   #1192
DoomAtom
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458514
Join Date: Nov 2016
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
I know where you went to for the dyno. I'm also from MN

My E50 15+ WRX made 295 WHP and 365 WHP (shootout mode). I was knocking a little at 5.8k+ RPM. I think I had low ethanol gas.
Ha! I'm glad you know the full picture then. The engine that blew was an IAG Stage 3 that gave up the ghost on the highway on a -30 degree January morning a few months ago. I had to use Non-Oxy 91 for a fill-up prior to that happening, and it's not confirmed, but it's likely what killed it. My FBK threw -11.XX's and then the back of the car turned into a flamethrower. Turbo and cats blew out as well. IAG examined the engine and alluded to signs of serious knock.

#farmlands

The first time I had it tuned with the stock turbo, the tuner noticed knock occurring at higher RPMs as well.

Last edited by DoomAtom; 05-04-2018 at 10:14 AM.
DoomAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #1193
DrJibletz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 429404
Join Date: Sep 2015
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Vehicle:
2016 WRX
Lapis Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomAtom View Post
Ha! I'm glad you know the full picture then. The engine that blew was an IAG Stage 3 that gave up the ghost on the highway on a -30 degree January morning a few months ago. I had to use Non-Oxy 91 for a fill-up prior to that happening, and it's not confirmed, but it's likely what killed it. My FBK threw -11.XX's and then the back of the car turned into a flamethrower. Turbo and cats blew out as well. IAG examined the engine and alluded to signs of serious knock.

#farmlands

The first time I had it tuned with the stock turbo, the tuner noticed knock occurring at higher RPMs as well.
Ugh, that sucks man... sorry about your misfortune.

I really wish we had a better dyno/tuning facility nearby. I will likely be making a trip down to P&L in Illinois so I can get dyno tuned by JR. I don't trust DB Performance's tuner...
DrJibletz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #1194
DoomAtom
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458514
Join Date: Nov 2016
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJibletz View Post
Ugh, that sucks man... sorry about your misfortune.

I really wish we had a better dyno/tuning facility nearby. I will likely be making a trip down to P&L in Illinois so I can get dyno tuned by JR. I don't trust DB Performance's tuner...
Thanks for the condolences that was a $7000 misfortune as a result of that ***** show

I went with JM Auto and Devin Waitt as the tuner. I felt confident with JM since I was in contact with the owner, Jesse, the entire time my rebuild was being done. They were honest, gave me options, and communicated with me in a timely manner when I requested updates. Gave me that warm and fuzzy feeling I like when I'm "paying to play".

DB was great when I had my previous two Mustang GT / Cobra vehicles! But JM Auto advertises themselves as being Subaru specialists.
DoomAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #1195
ayau
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332408
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomAtom View Post
Ha! I'm glad you know the full picture then. The engine that blew was an IAG Stage 3 that gave up the ghost on the highway on a -30 degree January morning a few months ago. I had to use Non-Oxy 91 for a fill-up prior to that happening, and it's not confirmed, but it's likely what killed it. My FBK threw -11.XX's and then the back of the car turned into a flamethrower. Turbo and cats blew out as well. IAG examined the engine and alluded to signs of serious knock.

#farmlands

The first time I had it tuned with the stock turbo, the tuner noticed knock occurring at higher RPMs as well.
Who tuned the IAG motor? Did the tuner turn down the knock sensor? I would think you would have noticed some small knock prior to the big knock.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:50 PM   #1196
DoomAtom
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458514
Join Date: Nov 2016
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Who tuned the IAG motor? Did the tuner turn down the knock sensor? I would think you would have noticed some small knock prior to the big knock.
DB Performance tuned the IAG motor. I honestly don't believe they did. I would notice occasional -1.41 / -2.81 FBK occurrences before the event, but nothing drastic enough to cause concern.

It all happened so fast (sounds cliche'). I was driving down the road, keeping out of boost (as best I could) until the engine warmed up, car started popping out the back, I let off the gas, a fireball came out the back, I saw the -11.XX, pulled over, and the car died, and wouldn't restart.

I could have been seen small FBK prior, but I was to focused on the "oh ****" factor and the flame from my blown out cat... sucks being stranded on the side of the road at 6am in -30 degree weather.
DoomAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #1197
ayau
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 332408
Join Date: Sep 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomAtom View Post
DB Performance tuned the IAG motor. I honestly don't believe they did. I would notice occasional -1.41 / -2.81 FBK occurrences before the event, but nothing drastic enough to cause concern.

It all happened so fast (sounds cliche'). I was driving down the road, keeping out of boost (as best I could) until the engine warmed up, car started popping out the back, I let off the gas, a fireball came out the back, I saw the -11.XX, pulled over, and the car died, and wouldn't restart.

I could have been seen small FBK prior, but I was to focused on the "oh ****" factor and the flame from my blown out cat... sucks being stranded on the side of the road at 6am in -30 degree weather.
Sorry to hear that. Just reinforces the idea that the type of fuel you use is very important.

What happened to your original motor?

Last edited by ayau; 05-04-2018 at 09:34 PM.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #1198
DoomAtom
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 458514
Join Date: Nov 2016
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
Dark Grey Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
Sorry to hear that. Just reinforces the idea that the type of fuel you use is very important.

What happened to your original motor?
I absolutely agree. I requested that JM make a "****ty fuel" map since I road trip to Memphis and Texas a few times a year and alot of the stations along the way are 89/91 Non-Oxy. Gives me that piece of mind to have.

The original stock shortblock is sitting in my buddy's garage, wrapped up. The blown IAG block was sent back to IAG to see if I could get some grace since I was 6,000 miles over the warranty miles, but under the 12 months. They helped me out and charged $2400 for new parts and services to get it up and running again. So technically this is my "third" engine...
DoomAtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #1199
YungBoba
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 450808
Join Date: Jul 2016
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2017 WRX Premium
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Pardon my ignorance but what is non-oxy gas?
YungBoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 03:43 PM   #1200
GlarryHoodDIT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 460907
Join Date: Jan 2017
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2016 WRX

Default

I think it means ethanol free. E0 opposed to E10.
GlarryHoodDIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2018 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.