Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Member's Car Gallery

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
dizzy1127
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 395904
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
CWP

Default Dizzy1127's 2015 CWP base WRX Noob Mod journal

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to share my experiences with modding my car. what helped, issues I ran into, etc.

First off, im a complete noob when it comes to cars modding, so any mistakes, misinfo, feel free to correct. I'm also new to forum-ing, so if the post doesn't look good, missing stuff, also feel free to comment.

Goal is to have a great driving DD. With a newborn and driving between cities once a week, I won't have much time to track or autox, so my mods will be tailored to those goals.

How the car started:

After completion of plastic surgery (better pictures to come)
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Mods
(Planned mods in italics)

Exterior:
black out headlights
ROKBLOKZ short mudflaps
Enkei raijin 18x8.5 +38 on Michelin pilot sport A/S 3 245/40/18
black out side emblems
Rear "subaru" and "awd" delete, rear "wrx" blackout
Subaru logo vinyl decal: gloss white stars on gloss white blackground
OLM hp+ low beams
OLM HP DRL
OLM vision+ boomerang light
Rear turn/reverse light 60% tint overlay
DIY Bumper Plugs
Bayson R front lip
Window tint 35% all around

Interior:
Husky all weather floor mats
LED interior cabin lights, trunk lights and license plate
Sound System...badly

Engine/transmission
Perrin brass shifter bushing
Cobb accessport V3 + custom tune
Turboback exhaust
aftermarket Intake
aftermarket TMIC

purchased from January at Heuberger Motors. Never test drove, just took a leap of faith and I've never looked back. Experience was great, PM me if any questions or concerns about online purchasing from Heuberger.

Last edited by dizzy1127; 11-03-2014 at 09:18 PM.
dizzy1127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
dizzy1127
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 395904
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
CWP

OLM drl and low beam headlights

Tools needed:
10mm wrench
flat head screwdriver
Double sided tape

Time to completion: 30 min

Resources used: subispeed install video
Notes: Pretty straightforward if you watch the YouTube video, subispeed videos are pretty good.

OLM vision+ boomerang lights

Tools needed:
10mm wrench
flat head screwdriver

Time to completion: 10 min

Notes: Subispeed has excellent customer service. One C light bulb was defective, sent a replacement immediately, no questions asked.
This is the one video that I felt was inadequate because it doesn't show exactly where your pulling until it is out, so it doesn't show what it's initial position is. Essentially I just fumbled around and lightly tugged up on tab like things in the c light vicinity. It requires very little force. Reinstall, particularly on the passenger side c light, can be cumbersome. I just removed the rain guard held by push clips, exposing the c light entrance. makes placement much easier.

Perrin brass shifter bushing install

Time to completion: 1 hr

Tools used:
12mm wrench
Screwdriver
Pliers
Fishing line

Notes: By far the stiffest and most clunky shifter in a car I've owned or driven extensively (Nissan 350z, civic si, s2000, Porsche boxster, evo x, sti). Reverse is by far the worst, really stiff and hard to engage. This shifter bushing made it more positive in the engagement of the gear but still pretty stiff overall, hopefully this gets better with time.
Exposure of the linkage is easy, but for some reason I had a hard time removing the pin with pliers. I just snuck a fishing line in the closed part of the pin, knotted it, then pulled. Came off easy that way. Used fingers to push the pin back in.

Rokblokz short mudflaps

Time to completion: 2 hours

Tools used:
Equipment to remove tires
Screwdriver
flat head driver
Hammer
Plastidip

Resources used: subie_noob_Brian's install video

Notes: I plastidiped the screw head and washers by screwing them into a small box. The screws and washers are pretty obvious if you view the car at certain angles. I prefer the subtle look. The rear install gave me some trouble because when I went to screw into the supplied screw fasteners rotated as I screwed. I took a flat head and held the plastic fastener in place as I screwed.

Subie noob Brian pulled his flap out more or less when securing the flaps. His wheels also come out more than my wheels do. I pushed mine in all the way as much I could in the front, since no one can see if the bottom is parallel to the ground. Just by glancing, it looks parallel regardless. the rear I pushed in as much as I could while keeping the bottom straight.

Badge removal

Tools needed:
Heat gun
Tooth Floss
Bug and tar remover
Microfiber towel

Resources used:
Chemical guys YouTube video

Notes: Gotta make the debadging decision relatively early, as paint fades differently with time and sun exposure. Essentially followed the video guide, but used turtle wax's bug and tar remover to remove the remaining smudges of adhesive, washed the area with warm water, then waxed the area as I had waxed the entire car a couple hours prior. You can use adhesive removal spray as well.

Reverse/turn light 60% tint overlay

Time to completion: 1 hour

Tools needed:
Car wash soap and water in spray bottle
Heat gun
Microfiber towel
Credit card/gift card/squeegee

Resources used: various YouTube videos (search "2015 wrx taillight overlay")

Notes: Bought my overlays from bluebatmobileoverlays, pretty quality stuff.
My first idea was to put matching red on, but I found out that was more likely to be cited when pulled over, didn't want to risk it.
Most of the time was spent being anal and placing the vinyl perfectly with the least amount of visible lines. Heat gun is invaluable in getting the vinyl to shrink around the corners and sides.

WRX badge plastidip

Time to completion: 2 hours

Tools needed:
3m double sided automotive tape
Black plastidip
Alcohol wipes
Tools for badge removal
Painters tape (scotch delicate surface)

Resources: various YouTube videos

Notes: Initially tried to plastidip the badge while it was still on the car. It left bits in between the badge and paint, or pulled off bit on the badge, didn't like that. I outlined the original position with painters tape, removed the badge, plastidiped it up, then reattached with the double sided automotive tape. Take care in reattaching, tape is really, really, really sticky.

Subaru logo vinyl decal

Tools needed:
Alcohol wipes
Heat gun

Resources used : various YouTube videos

Notes: Purchased from auto city imports. Great service. The front decal bottom portion didn't stick very well, sent a replacement, no questions asked. Placing a flat sticker on a concave logo will cause wrinkling if not careful. I made sure top bottom and sides were perfectly aligned, then set the middle of the vinyl down on the logo, then spread evenly. Small bits at the ends that don't go into the crevices with pressure can be treated with a heat gun, shrinks in nicely.

Black out headlights

Time to completion: 5 -6 hours

Tools needed:
10 mm wrench/ ratchet
Large flathead screwdriver
Two small flathead screwdrivers
Small screwdriver
Spray paint (for plastic surfaces)
Painters tape
Needle nose pliers

Resources used: headlight mod thread by mrrich http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2620784
YouTube video (search 2015 wrx headlight mod codywrx626)

Notes: Never took a bumper or any part of a car off before. Totally doable if you 1. know how to use hand tools and 2. have a bit of patience and use common sense.

Bumper is held by integrated clips on the bumper in the area next to wheelwell and under headlights after the push clips and screws are removed. Pull ever so slightly down and out and the bumper should come off easily.

The sealant is a "no bake" type, but can be baked and came off much easier with baking. Still can be done without baking, but a bit more pulling and prying needed. Remove the 6 small screws on the inside part of the headlight before baking.
I taped the boomerang light and side turn marker with painters tape, then placed them back in. Much easier than trying to tape the areas you don't want painted. I never spray painted before, but spray paint is pretty idiot proof from this experience. Putting the bumper back on is a little more clumsy than taking it off, having an extra hand is useful.

more pictures to be added to notes.

Last edited by dizzy1127; 11-03-2014 at 09:21 PM.
dizzy1127 is offline   Reply With Quote