Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday March 4, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2022, 09:57 AM   #326
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
Just fix it so this is all you will see....

SoDealer
This message is hidden because SoDealer is on your ignore list.
yep, did that yesterday. dude's off the deep end recently.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 07-27-2022, 10:25 AM   #327
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

I actually took people off my list a bit ago. Decided that even if someone is super annoying, if they're not violating forum rules then I can just deal with it. I don't feel like sitting in an echo chamber, only reading what I tend to agree with. And no one's forcing me to read each post.

Plus there are some people that I've just learned to ignore their posts visually when I know they won't be contributing anything thoughtful. I just pity them for wasting server space.

If someone says something noteworthy, people quote it, in part or in whole. Otherwise not engaging is the proper response.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 02:45 PM   #328
bugatti0628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447323
Join Date: May 2016
Default

Subaru is in a struggle to fight CAFE regulations. We were lucky enough to get the brz and wrx. The STI was an unfortunate victim of that fight. The EJ wasn't fuel efficient and the new FA24 tuned to the STI specs subaru would want was simply not ready in time to release to market. VW, Honda, and Toyota have enough hybrids and EV's to bring their big boys to market and be within regulations. We only have one measly plug-in hybrid and the solterra is not on the market yet. We may get the STI later than we want, but that does not mean internal combustion is completely off the table yet
bugatti0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:29 PM   #329
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti0628 View Post
Subaru is in a struggle to fight CAFE regulations. We were lucky enough to get the brz and wrx. The STI was an unfortunate victim of that fight. The EJ wasn't fuel efficient and the new FA24 tuned to the STI specs subaru would want was simply not ready in time to release to market. VW, Honda, and Toyota have enough hybrids and EV's to bring their big boys to market and be within regulations. We only have one measly plug-in hybrid and the solterra is not on the market yet. We may get the STI later than we want, but that does not mean internal combustion is completely off the table yet
Iíll 100% co-sign everything written here except the bold
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:11 PM   #330
bugatti0628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447323
Join Date: May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDealer View Post
Iíll 100% co-sign everything written here except the bold
I see. Nothing is wrong with subaru giving us a wrx ts though. use the wrx gt as the base unit, but make it manual and adjust the power and torque numbers in addition to the usual improvements like brembos, exhaust, tires and stiffeners with a simple, lightweight spoiler. The wrx gt dampers can stay so owners can make the in-screen adjustments with the drive mode select for daily driving and track days. They can add back the DCCD and have it work with the drive mode select as well. Any further power adjustments will be done by the owners themselves as we are seeing simple things netting big gains without a tune.
bugatti0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #331
Straight6
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 419593
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Yeap, they will add more performance goodies to the WRX with time. ICE STi is not going to happen.
Straight6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 05:36 PM   #332
Pre
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC View Post
You want to see some crazy shiznit?

https://www.anchorsubaru.com/used-in...odometer%20asc

Those are the used ones. They have 76 Used WRXs/STis, and they are (probably) asking MORE for them than the 6 new '22 WRXs they have on their lot.

2021 Subaru WRX LIMITED Sedan 1,611 Miles $59,995 (They didn't list it as an STi, which it is)



They don't list the prices of the '22s they have "Check for availability" Scoundrels, nothing but utter scoundrels.
Wow Dem prices cray cray. I guess a sucker is born every day. Hey you could have got a new M2C for the same money, but this STi over here is worth just as much
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:50 AM   #333
rallly 4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 268362
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2006
blue

Default

I'm not saying the sti will or will not happen***8230;.but honestly I wouldn't be suprised if they dropped a bombshell and release it and ate the fines.

The car was/is production ready. The final product was done. It's absolutely mind bending that it didn't get released - and some people inside are more mad than any of us.
rallly 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:58 AM   #334
vapore0n
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21356
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Can't catch me!
Vehicle:
2017 Subaru Corolla
STI Limited SE-R Type (R)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallly 4 View Post
I'm not saying the sti will or will not happen***8230;.but honestly I wouldn't be suprised if they dropped a bombshell and release it and ate the fines.

The car was/is production ready. The final product was done. It's absolutely mind bending that it didn't get released - and some people inside are more mad than any of us.
Having seen the STI, did it have all that plastic cladding?

2023 model is just not for me. Every time I pass by the Subaru dealer I cry a little. The car might feel and drive sporty, but it just looks so bad.
vapore0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:04 PM   #335
samagon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 26859
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: undisputed COMBAT! champion
Vehicle:
of TXIC
I also like (oYo)!!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
I actually took people off my list a bit ago. Decided that even if someone is super annoying, if they're not violating forum rules then I can just deal with it. I don't feel like sitting in an echo chamber, only reading what I tend to agree with. And no one's forcing me to read each post.

Plus there are some people that I've just learned to ignore their posts visually when I know they won't be contributing anything thoughtful. I just pity them for wasting server space.

If someone says something noteworthy, people quote it, in part or in whole. Otherwise not engaging is the proper response.
I'm very onboard with hearing varied and unique points of view.

all SOD brings to the table is "he's a liar" he follows around R4 and chants that over and over. I'll very likely unblock him in 6 months or so, but for now? I don't need to see the same thing over and over again.
samagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:20 PM   #336
chanomatik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 159474
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Northbridge, MA
Vehicle:
2017 Impreza Sport
Lithium Red - OLDKID

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samagon View Post
I'm very onboard with hearing varied and unique points of view.

all SOD brings to the table is "he's a liar" he follows around R4 and chants that over and over. I'll very likely unblock him in 6 months or so, but for now? I don't need to see the same thing over and over again.
Fair point. We all have our limits I guess. I enjoy SoDealer's posts, and I assume he realizes he has as much right to counter rallly 4's posts as much as rallly 4 is allowed to post.

I don't think I could ignore someone just because they say things I don't agree with. But if they continually say the same thing ad nauseum then I'm more inclined to ignore them. I feel that.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #337
bugatti0628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447323
Join Date: May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallly 4 View Post
I'm not saying the sti will or will not happen***8230;.but honestly I wouldn't be suprised if they dropped a bombshell and release it and ate the fines.

The car was/is production ready. The final product was done. It's absolutely mind bending that it didn't get released - and some people inside are more mad than any of us.
well regardless of if the STI was ready, cafe regulations are a big factor for all manufacturers. the plug-in crosstrek and solterra will help with the cafe regulations. A properly built wrx ts may be much easier to bring to market over a full blown STI variant especially with the very strong aftermarket support. It may already come with the components that we want with the potential to build our own personal STI's. I would say though that we may not see a wrx ts until after the refresh just like the brz ts was, however that does not rule out a performance package for wrx in the mean time. One silver lining, will subaru be first with bringing a hybrid sports car to market before the others chime in due to regulations, and is possible to still have a manual
bugatti0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #338
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: snoco wa
Vehicle:
135i vert
fast leaf

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti0628 View Post
One silver lining, will subaru be first with bringing a hybrid sports car to market before the others chime in due to regulations, and is possible to still have a manual
I think that's really optimistic... They can't provide a hybrid or electric car without using tech developed by a larger manufacturer. That larger manufacturer is not offering any sort of hybrid sports car... pretty unlikely that Subaru develops some hybrid tech on their own for a low volume seller. I don't think we'll see an STI again until it's full EV.
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:55 PM   #339
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95&96 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
I think that's really optimistic... They can't provide a hybrid or electric car without using tech developed by a larger manufacturer. That larger manufacturer is not offering any sort of hybrid sports car... pretty unlikely that Subaru develops some hybrid tech on their own for a low volume seller. I don't think we'll see an STI again until it's full EV.
But Subaru has developed their own hybrid for the market. Before ever using Toyota's tech. Shoot. They've even developed their own electric car. I think they went the current route for speed to market. Both in furthering the tech and getting them on sale faster than going it alone. Both, of course, with heavy consideration on cost.

I am positive they have been learning from this colaboration and we'll see something from them that is theirs.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:14 PM   #340
bugatti0628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447323
Join Date: May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
But Subaru has developed their own hybrid for the market. Before ever using Toyota's tech. Shoot. They've even developed their own electric car. I think they went the current route for speed to market. Both in furthering the tech and getting them on sale faster than going it alone. Both, of course, with heavy consideration on cost.

I am positive they have been learning from this colaboration and we'll see something from them that is theirs.
this response brings me back to the Viziv 2. Wasn't that concept supposedly for a hybrid with one motor attached to the transmission and 1.6 turbo and one motor attached to the rear axle.
bugatti0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 05:30 PM   #341
dwf137
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 161333
Join Date: Oct 2007
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: snoco wa
Vehicle:
135i vert
fast leaf

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
But Subaru has developed their own hybrid for the market. Before ever using Toyota's tech. Shoot. They've even developed their own electric car. I think they went the current route for speed to market. Both in furthering the tech and getting them on sale faster than going it alone. Both, of course, with heavy consideration on cost.

I am positive they have been learning from this colaboration and we'll see something from them that is theirs.
They are not making any modern electric or hybrid car on their own. They're not going to develop some hybrid system overnight and have it be so refined that they're going to stick it into a low-volume halo performance car. The STI is shelved. They're studying EV right now and maybe in 6-8 years we'll see something.
dwf137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 06:13 PM   #342
Snow Drift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 75071
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Long Island
Vehicle:
23 Solterra,ModelY
Old: 05 08 11 WRX, 18 STI

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallly 4 View Post
I'm not saying the sti will or will not happen***8230;.but honestly I wouldn't be suprised if they dropped a bombshell and release it and ate the fines.

The car was/is production ready. The final product was done. It's absolutely mind bending that it didn't get released - and some people inside are more mad than any of us.
No. Please, stop. This is just cruel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti0628 View Post
well regardless of if the STI was ready, cafe regulations are a big factor for all manufacturers. the plug-in crosstrek and solterra will help with the cafe regulations. A properly built wrx ts may be much easier to bring to market over a full blown STI variant especially with the very strong aftermarket support. It may already come with the components that we want with the potential to build our own personal STI's. I would say though that we may not see a wrx ts until after the refresh just like the brz ts was, however that does not rule out a performance package for wrx in the mean time. One silver lining, will subaru be first with bringing a hybrid sports car to market before the others chime in due to regulations, and is possible to still have a manual
WRX tS - Yes, just give us the dampers, performance pack stuff and recaros. Maybe some pink accents haha.

Hybrid Sports Car - Doubtful. PHEV sports cars are few and far between. The BMW i8 didn't do well. Plus where would you put the battery? In the trunk area like the Crosstrek? So now the 12.5 trunk is like 10.5? The Crosstrek system added 455 lbs and not much more power. Most of the time you are either on Battery or Gas. There isn't a booster button like at an arcade. I said before, I drove a Golf GTE plug in hybrid and the tach would turn off when the battery kicked on, which made DSG shifting in the mountains pretty weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
But Subaru has developed their own hybrid for the market. Before ever using Toyota's tech. Shoot. They've even developed their own electric car. I think they went the current route for speed to market. Both in furthering the tech and getting them on sale faster than going it alone. Both, of course, with heavy consideration on cost.

I am positive they have been learning from this colaboration and we'll see something from them that is theirs.
Subaru is the best at in-house development. Problem is, this is a massive undertaking. They are tiny. I have no problem with them using Yamaha motor/inverter for their BEVs (STI E-RA). Toyota collab is helpful as well. Hell, even Honda needs GM to share Ultium for their BEVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti0628 View Post
this response brings me back to the Viziv 2. Wasn't that concept supposedly for a hybrid with one motor attached to the transmission and 1.6 turbo and one motor attached to the rear axle.
Yes, engine = FWD, w/ e-motor = AWD. Basically the current Toyota system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
They are not making any modern electric or hybrid car on their own. They're not going to develop some hybrid system overnight and have it be so refined that they're going to stick it into a low-volume halo performance car. The STI is shelved. They're studying EV right now and maybe in 6-8 years we'll see something.
Yuppers. STI as a model will be shelved until a Subaru EV comes out that has a chance at being sporty.

Last edited by Snow Drift; 07-28-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Snow Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:02 PM   #343
Cowboy Neal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300811
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
1939 International
School bus

Default

Why did they spend the millions for the homologation?

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/12/w...ll-in-america/
Cowboy Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:18 PM   #344
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95&96 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
They are not making any modern electric or hybrid car on their own. They're not going to develop some hybrid system overnight and have it be so refined that they're going to stick it into a low-volume halo performance car. The STI is shelved. They're studying EV right now and maybe in 6-8 years we'll see something.
So, this statement would have one to believe that YOU don't think they have been working on systems for years? After I just told you they have developed several things over the years. Subaru was showing concepts of a Direct Injected motor in the 90s. Actually, that was also coupled to a CVT(that was way different than the LCVT they put on the ground). Their direct injection isn't a bad system. Their CVT isn't really bad. The "bad" thing about it is, they just don't allow the techs to tear them apart and repair them like the old 4EAT. They are replaced. Meaning more money spent by the owner. EyeSight took them 20 years to put on the road. They are small enough that things don't move as fast. That's why it's easier to get with Toyota and get something out now. WHILE learning a bit for their own. It would surprise me not if they popped out a full in house EV in a few years. I'm not talking about an STI. But if they start with one, you never know.

I do agree with your timeline for the STI; though, I'm not 100% convinced the next STI will be EV only though.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:20 PM   #345
JustyWRC
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 153088
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Arlington, TN
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
95&96 Sambar 06 Forester

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Neal View Post
Why did they spend the millions for the homologation?

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2019/12/w...ll-in-america/
That was to get "STI" to the states. That is done. Lets cross our fingers they do more like they said they planned to.
JustyWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:42 PM   #346
Cowboy Neal
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 300811
Join Date: Nov 2011
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
1939 International
School bus

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustyWRC View Post
That was to get "STI" to the states. That is done. Lets cross our fingers they do more like they said they planned to.
But why spend millions for 209 cars? The STi or whatever already existed. Now the whole STI STi model is dead. That was a waste of money on the homologation.
Cowboy Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:56 PM   #347
bugatti0628
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 447323
Join Date: May 2016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf137 View Post
They are not making any modern electric or hybrid car on their own. They're not going to develop some hybrid system overnight and have it be so refined that they're going to stick it into a low-volume halo performance car. The STI is shelved. They're studying EV right now and maybe in 6-8 years we'll see something.
that means a wrx ts is our best bet to soften the loss of the STI and give us something to work with until the electric STI comes. Although you must wonder if we get a performance package followed by an even crazier wrx ts, if they put a DCCD in a wrx ts, with the aftermarket support and eventual tuning giving STI stage one type numbers, will we really miss the STI or embrace the new kid on the block
bugatti0628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 03:54 AM   #348
Pre
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 139693
Join Date: Feb 2007
Vehicle:
Dura ngo 95
horrorshow

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Neal View Post
But why spend millions for 209 cars? The STi or whatever already existed. Now the whole STI STi model is dead. That was a waste of money on the homologation.
Money would have been better spent on a USA Levorg. Just call it a WRX wagon.
Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:59 AM   #349
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: RI/SE Mass
Vehicle:
17 Imp Spurt
00 S2k

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre View Post
Money would have been better spent on a USA Levorg. Just call it a WRX wagon.
New thought...

New STi, only comes over in Levorg body, 6MT, EZ36T. The crowd goes WILD. Many cheers had. BESPOKE model from Subaru.
KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:44 AM   #350
rallly 4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 268362
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Vehicle:
2006
blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti0628 View Post
well regardless of if the STI was ready, cafe regulations are a big factor for all manufacturers. the plug-in crosstrek and solterra will help with the cafe regulations. A properly built wrx ts may be much easier to bring to market over a full blown STI variant especially with the very strong aftermarket support. It may already come with the components that we want with the potential to build our own personal STI's. I would say though that we may not see a wrx ts until after the refresh just like the brz ts was, however that does not rule out a performance package for wrx in the mean time. One silver lining, will subaru be first with bringing a hybrid sports car to market before the others chime in due to regulations, and is possible to still have a manual
We wonít see a hybrid sports car from Subaru for the next 10+ years
rallly 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2024 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission
Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.