Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 19, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-08-2018, 07:31 AM   #1
awcforever
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 382066
Vehicle:
96 Subaru
Green

Default Question about JDM EJ205

(2004 WRX EJ205)
So I just got my car tuned and unfortunately in a past life sheís been mistreated and spun a rod bearing just after National Speed finished the tune😓. Iím just swapping the long block with a JDM EJ205 long block and wanted to know how much difference there would be switching from the 8:1 compression to 9:1. My tune was finalized on the USDM so can I drive the car back to Richmond or should I pretty much plan on trailering it again.

The shop said that after I do the swap the tune would be at 90% and should be fine until I have time to return, but I would like to see what you guys thoughts were. Thanks.

*EDIT - Iím sorry I just realized I clicked 2.5 forum and not 2.0, apologies.
awcforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2018, 08:53 AM   #2
bp05obxt
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 459799
Default Question about JDM EJ205

The compression makes it more sensitive to put it simply. You could drive it but very carefully. Stay out of heavy load conditions to keep the boost from building too much or to quickly.

Ps: Run high quality oil like AMS 10-40w (high zinc) these ej205ís love to consume bearings and the better oil plus the zinc to help protect bearings is a way to improve reliability.
bp05obxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
awcforever
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
96 Subaru
Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp05obxt View Post
The compression makes it more sensitive to put it simply. You could drive it but very carefully. Stay out of heavy load conditions to keep the boost from building too much or to quickly.

Ps: Run high quality oil like AMS 10-40w (high zinc) these ej205ís love to consume bearings and the better oil plus the zinc to help protect bearings is a way to improve reliability.
Cool, yeah, someone mentioned 5/40w Rotella but I may pay for the insurance of something else. after the little charade at the tune shop I want to make this one right. The replacement engine only has 38k on it so any failures will be on me vs the old engine with 150k that I have no history on.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #4
awcforever
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
96 Subaru
Green

After a good bit of research I went ahead with the 5w/40 Rotella, seems a lot of successful high end builds are using it and itís got a good mixture of zinc and detergents when compared to some racing oils like Lucas and Royal purple.

I installed my head studs on one side but I had to pull the head on the other and Iím going to go ahead and remove everything again to clean it up. There was a good bit of carbon build up and I donít want to have to pull the engine again. Definitely a different animal though, pistons, oil pan, coolant feed lines, etc. a lot of the JDM stuff Iím keeping though like the coolant feed lines. Their location makes a lot more sense than the way they routed the USDM lines. Man, lots of work to do though.