Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 21, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-28-2018, 02:03 AM   #1
parf909
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 477289
Default 2014 STI Stinkeye Spun Bearing Rebuild

I decided to buy an immaculate, low miles rally blue 2014 Tsurugi edition STI with 48,000 kms. I live in a winter climate, the STI looked like a good idea. The car had pretty much some minor breather mods - the usual stage 1 Cobb cold air intake and a cat back exhaust with an OTS Cobb Stage 1 map, pretty much stock. Third day of ownership, pullled out to pass on the highway, non-intentional redline flat foot shift (gas pedal stuck under hard plastic floor mat), engine bounced on the rev limiter for a few seconds and boom, spun bearing. Factory redline and internal engine damage? WTF?. I noticed there is some sort of class action lawsuit, based out of the USA, against Subaru for this type of thing....whatever, I'm ****ed and now forced into a project. Anyhow, I'd like to turn this into a positive and build the car back up with my son who owns a WRX. This will be my third build, first Subaru, so I know my way around a few engines, most importantly I know what I don't know so hopefully won't get into too much trouble on this one.

My strategy: buy an AIG short block, AIG AOS, build the car to a Cobb Stage 3 with upgraded fuel system and go from there.

I've now pulled the motor, tore it down, took delivery of a couple large orders from AIG and I can't say enough about those folks at AIG. They shipped my parts almost same day as order placed. Awesome customer service.

I drove the car 100kms on the spun bearing so there is alot of metal all the way through the old motor, therefore had to replace all the major oil related parts such as pump, cooler, AVCS gears and then pay close attention to cleaning all other parts to be re-used for example, heads and turbo.

Last edited by parf909; 02-28-2018 at 11:27 AM.
parf909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #2
thewolfe
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 427424
Vehicle:
2014 wrx hatch
black

Yeah pretty disappointing when you spend a bunch of money on a car and it spins a bearing in short order. In my case my motor had 23k miles. Denied warranty repair because it had a few bolt ons and stage 2 tune.
thewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 AM   #3
parf909
Scooby Newbie

Default Factory defect...

It's an alleged factory defect...but not proven:

Newark, NJ: A defective automotive class action lawsuit has been filed against Subaru of America Inc. and Subaru Corporation alleging they failed to disclose a defect involving connecting rod bearings, defective connecting rod side clearances, and/or insufficient channels of engine lubrication, which results from an alleged defective rotating assembly. According to the complaint, the affected vehicles include model year 2013 and 2014 Subaru WRX and WRX STi vehicles.

The lawsuit, filed by Plaintiff Vincente Salcedo of California, claims Subaru used a rotating assembly that has a defect that existed at the time the vehicles were manufactured but typically manifested after the expiration of the limited warranty period.

Specifically, the defect manifests with the connecting rod bearings failing and metal debris allegedly begins to circulate throughout the engine via contaminated engine oil. This results in spun connecting rod bearings and catastrophic engine failure, potentially causing life-threatening stalling events while the vehicle is in operation, the complaint asserts.

“Despite notice and knowledge of the defect from the numerous complaints it has received, information from dealers, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (‘NHTSA’) complaints, and its own internal records, including pre-sale durability testing and quality policies, Subaru has not recalled the Class Vehicles to repair the defect, offered its customers suitable repairs or replacements free of charge, or offered to reimburse its customers who have incurred out-of-pocket expenses to repair the defect,” the complaint states.

Salcedo states in the lawsuit that he purchased a 2013 Subaru Impreza WRX from a private party in August 2015. Nearly two years later, at approximately 68,759 miles, the vehicle’s engine allegedly made a “knocking” sound while he was driving on the highway and catastrophically failed.

Salcedo states that he had his vehicle towed to an authorized Subaru dealer for diagnosis and repair related to the engine failure and was allegedly quoted in excess of $5,700 to complete the necessary repairs. The complaint claims the dealer contacted Subaru of America, which offered to cover $2,000 of the repairs as a goodwill gesture. Salcedo subsequently paid $3,711.15 himself for parts and labor.

Salcedo claims he would not have purchased the Subaru Impreza vehicle, or would have paid far less for it, had Subaru publicly disclosed the engine defect prior to the time he purchased the vehicle.

The Subaru class action lawsuit alleges violations of the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act, breach of express warranty, breach of the implied warranty of merchantability, breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing, violations of California’s Consumers Legal Remedies Act, violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law, violations of the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act, and breach of written warranty under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Salcedo is represented by Richard D. McCune, David C. Wright, Joseph G. Sauder, Matthew D. Schelkopf and Joseph B. Kenney of McCune Wright Arevalo LLP and Bruce Greenberg of Lite Depalma Greenberg LLC.

The lawsuit is Vincente Salcedo v. Subaru of America Inc., et al., Case No. 1:17-cv-08173-JHR-AMD, in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey.

Last edited by parf909; 02-28-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #4
gabo_s13
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 468498
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2014 WRX Hatch
WRB

I feel your pain. I bought a 2014 WRX with immaculate service history and spun a rod bearing 2 months after. Funny thing is that I had checked the oil that same morning and it was full. Anyways, I'm about 90% done with my rebuild with forged internals. Good luck on yours!
gabo_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
parf909
Scooby Newbie

New KB oil pickup, oil pump, oil cooler, cleaned the pan 3x over...