Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday August 16, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Archives > NASIOC Archives > Technical Forum Archive

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-09-2000, 07:34 AM   #1
Bob OM,Md
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1349
Post Installing FogLights (continued from Elec. Wiring Diagram Request of 7 June)

I would like a set of Hella Fogs to switch on independently from the Headlights. The switch is to be located just to the right of the series of Stock Fogs, Wiper Deicer, Cruise Control and Alarm light/switches. I am looking for a hot wire to tap into to provide the switch power. Using the "Fog Light Modification" guide I've pulled down the knee wall cover and exposed that area. There are lots of wires, but I only need one which is hot whenever the IGNITION is I think that this way I eliminate the danger (although unlikely) of leaving the foglights on when I turn off the engine. Tapping into the "illumination" line sounds good, but I can't seem to find it amidst all those wires.
The switch's ground connection is no problem and the line to the "Load" terminal on the relay will go out through the cutout just above the carpet, under the Brake pedal. Once in the engine compartment, I'm okay. I've got places to mount the relay (I think), ground the relay and foglamps and of course the HOT from the relay directly to the battery and from the relay to the lamps. VerIII has been super helpful and suggests the ignition wire. Just would like to check viewpoints before I take Crimper-and-Tap and do any damage!! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2000, 08:21 AM   #2
8Complex

Member#: 922
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
16 WRX (white)
04 FXT (red)

If you're having trouble finding the illumination wire, you might want to try either tapping into the wire on the radio that dims it when you put the lights on, OR you could turn evreything off, remove the keys, and hit that switch on top of the steering column to turn on the parking lights when everything is off and use a test light to figure out which wire it is making hot.

If it is just for a relay and you want to use the illumination wire, I think the easiest to find and evreything would be the one going to the radio, though.
Old 06-09-2000, 11:47 AM   #3
Bahumut
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 460
Vehicle:
1995 Impreza Wagon
Brilliant Red/Slade

Yeah, when we (Jwlshjr helped me out a lot) added the 99rs fogs to my 95, we had to use the radio for hot.
Old 06-09-2000, 05:34 PM   #4
North Ursalia
Miss You Mom
Oct 1940 - Feb 2008

Super Moderator

Member#: 809
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2000 2.5 RS, '14 For
92 5MT SVX

If it's a 2000 (probably the same for 98 and 99) you can use the solid blue wire on the fog light switch. Make sure it's the completely SOLID blue one, not the blue/white striped one.
Old 06-12-2000, 05:13 AM   #5
Bob OM,Md
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1349
Smile

SUCCESS! Thanks to the postings and the advice, I've completed the installation of the Hella Fogs. It went well with one surprise; I hope I didn't make a big mistake becuse this seems to have been too easy! Once the under-dash panel was dropped I followed the advice to find a switched hot to furnish supply to the switch. With tester I checked purples, stripes, greens, blacks and reds and then I noticed an insulated female connector just tied off at the end of a grn/yellow stripe (or maybe a yellow/red stripe). Seemed to be connected to a blue harness plug above the fusebox. It tested perfectly. Only hot when the key was turned. So I popped a connector on the switch wire and 15 minutes later I had fog lights. But I'm curious as to what that connector was doing there.
This is on a '99 Forester S with the optional keyless entry/alarm installed so there was some modification to the wiring in the same area.

ONE FURTHER OBSERVATION: My plan to install the switch just to the right of the other switches on that panel doesn't seem to work because there is a black metal support(?) piece which doesn't allow for the clearance to attach the leads to the back of the switch, i.e., the back of the switch juts out too much. (Glad I checked again before I drilled into that plastic the first time). For now I have the switch resting on the bottom of the panel in rhe space where the steering column lock lever rests when adjusting the wheel. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Thanks again.