Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday March 30, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
EricInHoodRiver
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 299737
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Cobb Stage 2 Protune

Default Safe Boost PSI?

2011 wrx 92 octane fuel (ethanol free) 100% stock except Cobb stage 1 91 OTS flash. Target boost is 15 +\- .08. 45 deg F out and basically at sea level. I hit 16.1 at 6500 rpm. I am a dd wrx guy who does very occasional wot to 85 mph or so.

Want to keep my engine happy

Am I in a safe range?

Thanks.
EricInHoodRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
424wrx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 171948
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
19 Sti
Crystal white

you will see + or - 1 or 2 psi. the post important thing to keep an eye on are af ratios and knock. the cobb maps are very conservative. im running almost 22 psi on my 08 wrx(vf52 swap) and have never had any issues. i suggest torqued performance maps. the guy is great at what he does and has excellent support. check out 3gwrx.com for some more info.
424wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 4803

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricInHoodRiver View Post
2011 wrx 92 octane fuel (ethanol free) 100% stock except Cobb stage 1 91 OTS flash. Target boost is 15 +\- .08. 45 deg F out and basically at sea level. I hit 16.1 at 6500 rpm. I am a dd wrx guy who does very occasional wot to 85 mph or so.

Want to keep my engine happy

Am I in a safe range?

Thanks.
Generally you want to be within 1 psi of your boost target, but a little beyond that in higher gears is OK. Best thing to do is to get a 3rd gear wide open throttle log, if you can do safely. Check out our data logging video below. Then upload your log on google docs (make sure to set the permissions to public) and post up the link here. We can then see how your boost control is doing.

Bill
Cobb Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
EricInHoodRiver
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Cobb Stage 2 Protune

Excellent. I will do a log and post up when I can find a safe time and place to do so. I assume car will be at 80ish mph at 6500 rpm? I drove around today with AP on fine knock correction and AP stayed at 0 which I assum means nothing as I was mostly in town. I did hit 50 mpg in 2nd at 5500 rpm and still 0, which I assume is good. Is there an online resource of information to read about what the different AP meters are, why it's important and ideal readings on each of the tests? I know so little and am trying to learn more

Thanks
Old 11-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Excellent. I will do a log and post up when I can find a safe time and place to do so. I assume car will be at 80ish mph at 6500 rpm? I drove around today with AP on fine knock correction and AP stayed at 0 which I assum means nothing as I was mostly in town. I did hit 50 mpg in 2nd at 5500 rpm and still 0, which I assume is good. Is there an online resource of information to read about what the different AP meters are, why it's important and ideal readings on each of the tests? I know so little and am trying to learn more

Thanks
The video explains some of the key monitors. If you can't safely do a 3rd gear run, you can get by with a 2nd gear run.

Bill
Old 11-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
EricInHoodRiver
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Cobb Stage 2 Protune

Did 3 logs: 92 octane gas at 42 degrees, sea level. All stock 2011 wrx hatch with Cobb OTS 91 Octane map.
i have a big Yakima Skybox 16 on the roof if that matters. 3rd gear 2500-6500 rpm.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DRmYUl2Q1lSekE

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0pmRUxFa05MckE

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DRzVlhNWG4xTGc

Any analysis greatly appreciated. My bias is safety. The car is PLENTY fast for me at Stage 1. Stage 1 is much, much smoother than stock, so providing it's safe, I would like to keep both it, and my beloved wrx for many years to come.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Did 3 logs: 92 octane gas at 42 degrees, sea level. All stock 2011 wrx hatch with Cobb OTS 91 Octane map.
i have a big Yakima Skybox 16 on the roof if that matters. 3rd gear 2500-6500 rpm.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DRmYUl2Q1lSekE

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0pmRUxFa05MckE

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...DRzVlhNWG4xTGc

Any analysis greatly appreciated. My bias is safety. The car is PLENTY fast for me at Stage 1. Stage 1 is much, much smoother than stock, so providing it's safe, I would like to keep both it, and my beloved wrx for many years to come.
Logs look good. You are more on the higher side of your boost target (slightly) than you are on the lower side. You can give the low wastegate (LWG) version of the map a try if you like. You can download it from the cobbtuning site. I don't think that is necessary, but you can certainly try it.

Bill
Old 11-25-2011, 11:38 PM   #8
EricInHoodRiver
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2011 WRX Hatch
Cobb Stage 2 Protune

Thanks Bill! I do wot so Infrequently that I am not worried about being on the higher end of average. I might try lwg map for kicks, though. The video mentioned that an ideal AF Learning # is 0, and target is +\- 8. What is the significance of a steady -3.91?
Old 11-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #9
Cobb Tuning
NASIOC Vendor

Quote:
Thanks Bill! I do wot so Infrequently that I am not worried about being on the higher end of average. I might try lwg map for kicks, though. The video mentioned that an ideal AF Learning # is 0, and target is +\- 8. What is the significance of a steady -3.91?
Your long-term fuel trims will rarely be zero (except after a reflash/reset when the trims are reset to zero). You just generally want to be within +/- 5%, with outside of +/- 8% indicating a possible problem.

Bill