Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
STi Hunter
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 58131
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
05 STi 6,879 miles
04 Forester XT

Outback Sport Best EM for supercharged application???

The vehicle is a 98 OBS. 6 speed swap with matching gear all the way out to the hubs. 4 pot / 2 pot calipers with matching rotors. The motor will be a 2.5l of ''some kind.''

What would be some of the best engine managements to run if you're intending to run a positive displacement supercharger? If the vehicle were wired for a wrx harness / engine, would a UTEC or Cobb AP be able to offer enough ability to tune the normally aspirated portion of the fuel and ignition maps?

I was looking at AEM and Greddy's generic forms of EM and they look like they would be pretty useful for offering a wide scope of ability to tune the fuel and ignition maps for normally aspirated as well as forced induction states.

I'm very familiar with tuning Hondas for supercharged forced induction and I'm trying to look at this Subaru similarily in that the Honda motor ran NA most of the time until the throttle pedal was past about 3/4 throttle, so the NA portion of the fuel and ignition tables required just as much tuning as the boost tables for fuel and ignition.

Basically the plan is to put the engine together, install it as well as the fuel delivery system intended for the forced induction and get it running very well NA first. Then I'll install the supercharger, build crude maps for fuel and ignition, and dyno tune after that.

I could leave the stock harness in place, install a built 2.5 RS engine and use AEM or Greddy's generic EMs or wire it for a WRX harness and ECU (which I already own) and build a 2.5l STi / FXT engine and go from there. I don't really care about the ability to tune AVCS if the engine I run has it.

What do you think?
STi Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
AWD Dream
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 170215
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2003 Toyota Tacoma

Default EM on your mut sc project

If you're going to use a WRX harness, I would imagine the best bet would be the AEM. Have you seen the list of features on that thing too?

Last edited by AWD Dream; 02-08-2008 at 03:20 PM.
AWD Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #3
Jaxx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 W/EJ20K-sold
Subaru-less :(

depends on what head you use the aem won't work as the cam pickups are different on the 98 head

you would also have to change the crank trigger

start thinking about a hydra
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote