Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
JonJ
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 78484
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Blue

Default Secondary Air Pump Solutions?

So my 06 WRX is kicking out P1410 and P2442 right now, so I took it by the dealership this morning and they just called and informed me that it was the secondary air valve and gasket on the drivers side. Said repair would run just under $600.

Now I've read that the whole air pump system can be removed with no problems.

My questions are, if removed would I have problems with more codes getting kicked out? Would I have any problems passing state inspection? (I'm in Texas)

From what I understand the air pump is to help emissions off of a cold start but once the engine is up to running temp, then it serves no purpose.

If I must spend $600 on the car for any reason right now I would much rather by an AP.

TIA for any suggestions on this matter.
JonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Mechie3
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120152
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

06's can ditch it no problem (it's the 07's that have issues with pressure sensors).

Either get an accessport and have someone tune the codes out (if it's not a true custom tune, just turning off codes, some tuners do it for $25) or have someone opensource tune it locally to turn off codes.

You could also find a valve from someone who ditched the system.
Mechie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:27 PM   #3
JonJ
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Blue

Just making sure I understand.

If I remove the entire system, and either get a tuner to clear the codes or get an AP and clear them myself then. I can go get it inspected with no problems?

I don't really have any interest in fixing something that serves little function like this, especially if it will still be "clean" enough for the state regs.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJ View Post
either get a tuner to clear the codes or get an AP and clear them myself then. I can go get it inspected with no problems?
Actually, to clarify, you need to tell the ECU to "ignore" the CEL. The way to do this is program the ECU with such a wide range before it trips the CEL, you never get a CEL showing.

If you just "clear" the CEL, it will be gone, but all the readiness indicators will also be reset and you can fail for that.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
JonJ
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Blue

So can the AP do that? Sorry for my ignorance I'm new to the electronic tuning, always been a mechanical type.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Mechie3
Scooby Guru

Member#: 120152
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

My tuner just cleared the CEL's IIRC and I passed OBD-II inspection in NYS 2 years in a row (moved out of NYS now).

also, I couldn't remove the hose on the back side of the passenger head with the stock uppipe on (heatsheild interfered). To get around this, I just block off the inlet of that hose until I changed uppipes and head clear access.
Mechie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
JonJ
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Blue

Good deal, yeah I just got off of the phone with Engine Logics here in Houston, and they said they could clear it all for me. Seem like some good people. If this goes well I'll probably go back there for some tuning work. My room mate has an 07 STi and he's looking to get his tuned soon, so it's good to know there is a recommended/ trusted shop locally.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
JonJ
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 Impreza WRX
Blue

So I picked it up from the service center last night, and on top of putting 20 miles on my car, they managed to get the E Brake light to stick on. I checked my rear pads and they seem fine, the car could use a little break fluid but it's not low by any means. So for anyone in the Houston area I would avoid the service center at West Houston Subaru.

On top of the new problems, they were wanting me to get 2 grand worth of work done that did not need to be done. q >.< p