Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-27-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
phillipny
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 455844
Default (Advice) Electrical question for rear wiper/hatchback

Hey guys,

My '08 Wagon hatchback started having issues with rear wiper. Doesn't work anymore and everything else back there works perfectly.

Ive repaired the wire bundle on my other '05 wagon, and im familiar how the wires break over time at the exit point from the body/headliner area.

I did the same job and spliced wires and resoldered any broken ones i found.

The rear wiper still not working and while the wiper is ON, I used my Multimeter on the 4 pins that go into the motor there. Connector has:
- Black (GROUND)
- Blue w/ Silver dots (NO READING)
- Green w/ Silver dots (12V)
- Yellow w/ Green stripe and silver dots (12V)

It looks like im getting good readings on everything but the Blue wire. What should the blue wire read?

Also is there a way for me to just test the motor itself using the Ohmeter?

I know the switch is good, most of the wires except unknown blue one.. and motor unknown

Thanks for any help! Pictures here

https://i.imgur.com/5AGKhef.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/a2Ncy7j.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6vV1tE3.jpg
phillipny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Check the continuity between where the grn/silver wire connects to and ground. That should be across the motor windings. Also see if you have continuity to ground on the blue/silver wire that may be tied to the park switch. The other side of the switch should tie to the yel/grn wire. It seem you may have an open motor if the grn/silver wire is tied to the motor, or a bad ground connection to the motor possibly.

Last edited by Cougar4; 02-27-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
phillipny
Scooby Newbie

I checked everything again today and ok the actual plug coming from the harness I get
- yellow wire is 12V constant
- green wire is a switched 12V. It’s turned ON when wiper is turned ON
- black is ground
- blue nothing

Then I checked the pin 2 to 3 across the motor for Ohm reading / resistance. That’s the green to black wires across the motor with nothing connected, I got 12.2 ohms. And if I read that 5ohms is correct ... does that mean motor is bad?

I know some ppl said to simply clean the shaft of motor and sometimes it comes back to life.

Otherwise does anyone have a link to the replacement motor ! Thanks again everyone
Old 02-28-2021, 03:17 PM   #4
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

The resistance reading across the motor seems like that it may be okay. I would try placing 12 volts directly to the motor contacts and see what that does. I wonder if the motor is jammed. If you need to replace the motor you might try Rockauto.com.

Last edited by Cougar4; 02-28-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:38 PM   #5
phillipny
Scooby Newbie

OK, I went out to the car to do some more tests and I really pushed the wiper from one side to the other and it wouldn’t budge and I kept pushing until it kind of unseized.

Now it’s sweeping back-and-forth so all the electrical is good in the motor and it is working but it seems weak… Like it doesn’t have enough torque to pull the wiper over the glass and stops in the middle sometimes and then I can kind of push it again and get it going

If I raise the arm so it’s not on the glass it will turn back-and-forth over and over again without stopping… But while I’m driving I can hear it being very loud, the motor is making a buzzing and clicking sound.

Does this sound like something I can disassemble the motor arm and clean the shaft and lubricate or just buy another one and replace the motor?

Thanks everyone
Old 03-01-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

You could try fixing it but from what you describe about the motor I think you would be better off just replacing it.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:33 AM   #7
phillipny
Scooby Newbie

Do you guys have a part number so I can order it? Thanks so much
Old 03-01-2021, 05:04 PM   #8
phillipny
Scooby Newbie

I removed the rear cap to access the nut for wiper arm and remove it. Then inspect motor shaft and clean it and grease it

The wiper arm plastic crumbled away. So I need to buy a rear wiper arm for 08 outback wagon

And

The. Shaft was rusty and I really torqued it and it started moving again and motor Clicking. Then I greased it anyways and no change.

So new rear wiper motor also.

Does anyone have these two part #s and I’ll buy them today.

Thank you guys
Old 03-01-2021, 09:56 PM   #9
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

Go to Rockauto.com. Select your vehicle, select wiper motor, select one of the rear motors. Purchase your choice of brands. Pretty simple process.