Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-20-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
3or
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488492
Question New to the forum. EJ207 Reliability Question

Hi guys, just joined the forum here because I'm picking up a 1999 STi V6 Type R off a friend tomorrow I've learned quite a lot about the car from you guys.

I'm a little anxious since the car is almost 20 years old car after all and I'm worried about the engine blowing up. The car has about 200k KM and is pretty much stock with the stock JDM tune still so I'll need to get a tune for Canadian gas. I'll also be doing the timing belt, spark plugs and head gasket seal too (learn to do it myself and blow it up maybe? or pay someone to do it) since it's only been done once.

I'm curious about how reliable the EJ207 V6 is gonna be with its open deck block. With that much mileage what else should I consider replacing on top of the above? And after all the engine work is done, should I still worry about the engine blowing up just from the mileage or should I be more worried IF I don't do maintenance regularly?

I would like to keep the car for as long as I could without swapping a new engine/transmission into the car so any advice would be helpful.
3or is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #2
Samurai Jack
Scooby Guru

Member#: 21145
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 Enemy of Aku

More or less, your particular motor will have just as much chance of blowing up, or not, as any other similar motor that has been exposed to the same amount of abuse, or non-abuse.

See what I am getting at here?
No one can give you that answer because no one knows how that particular motor was treated for those 200K KMs.

Some EJ 205s have gone well over 200K because they were treated well, had proper maintenance, and we not overly abused. Some abuse is expected, but some people abuse their cars from the time they start the car until the shut off the motor.
Samurai Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:14 AM   #3
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

As SJ sorta stated, some peeps can blow the most robust engine in a few thousand miles, others can have fun and go 200,00 miles with only routine maintenance.

Unless you KNOW you have a headgasket leak (headgasket seal?), leave it the frig alone.

Unless you KNOW when things were done, I would refer to the owners manual for distance/time replacements.
Maybe do all fluids, check on time for rubber bits (belts, hoses, etc.), replace as needed.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
3or
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 488492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
More or less, your particular motor will have just as much chance of blowing up, or not, as any other similar motor that has been exposed to the same amount of abuse, or non-abuse.

See what I am getting at here?
No one can give you that answer because no one knows how that particular motor was treated for those 200K KMs.

Some EJ 205s have gone well over 200K because they were treated well, had proper maintenance, and we not overly abused. Some abuse is expected, but some people abuse their cars from the time they start the car until the shut off the motor.
I know my question is very vague but the above info still helps a lot. Thanks

I believe my friend takes good care of his cars so I'm not too worried about it being overly abused but I will definitely keep an eye out for any leaks and funny noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
As SJ sorta stated, some peeps can blow the most robust engine in a few thousand miles, others can have fun and go 200,00 miles with only routine maintenance.

Unless you KNOW you have a headgasket leak (headgasket seal?), leave it the frig alone.

Unless you KNOW when things were done, I would refer to the owners manual for distance/time replacements.
Maybe do all fluids, check on time for rubber bits (belts, hoses, etc.), replace as needed.
Thanks for the information. I don't think the head gasket is leaking so I suppose I will leave that alone and maybe do a compression test just to be safe. I'll just deal with timing belt and valve cover gasket for the time being (spark plugs done by my friend not long ago) and keep an eye out for the head gasket.
3or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
contaminatrix
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 435611
Chapter/Region: International
Vehicle:
2002 SG5-2.0-XT-JDM
45A, originally 18L

ej207 is pretty sturdy. go for it.

but just as samurai jack says, know WHEN all these things were done - if at all they were. that way you don't throw money at non-issue (unless you want to for reliability purposes).

where i am we have several ej207s doing just fine
contaminatrix is offline   Reply With Quote