Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday May 18, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #1
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53558
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Default 2005 Baja center console trim removal

I just embarked on a wonderful, fun, enjoyable journey of replacing my dash lights, when I ran into a slight problem: The center console trim, around the satnav and HVAC, cannot be removed due to two inaccessible bolts?

The bolts in question are directly above the cigarette lighter, and they appear to be behind the ashtray. I removed the bolt back in the dash, but the ashtray won't budge, it looks like there's two screws holding it in on the bottom.

So, how am I supposed to get those bolts out? I've 'finished' my project (apparently, I put a dead bulb in behind the trip meter, but IDC about that too much), but I would like to paint the trim eventually, which would require me removing it entirely first, but I can't seem to get it to come out.

Any tips for getting those bolts out? I got all of the plastic clips to pop loose, and I removed the little cubby/compartment below the cigarette lighter no problem, but the bottom of the trim is still being held in by something inaccessible.
Chi_San is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2021, 09:07 PM   #2
thatgarrett
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497099
Vehicle:
2007 Outback Sport
Urban Gray

The ash tray should come out, you might need to lift something to release it, and there are only two screws under there and everything pops off. I used to use a phone with the selfie camera on laying down in the cubby facing up to locate the screws and a small 1/4 drive ratchet with a Phillips head screwdriver head in it to undo it, was always a huge pain though
thatgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:36 PM   #3
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgarrett View Post
The ash tray should come out, you might need to lift something to release it, and there are only two screws under there and everything pops off. I used to use a phone with the selfie camera on laying down in the cubby facing up to locate the screws and a small 1/4 drive ratchet with a Phillips head screwdriver head in it to undo it, was always a huge pain though
So I gotta remove the two vertical screws under the ash tray retainer bracket? Oof.
Old 02-07-2021, 09:59 PM   #4
thatgarrett
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497099
Vehicle:
2007 Outback Sport
Urban Gray

Yeah this was a big pain in my old Legacy with the same interior as your Baja, I couldn’t even get a stubby screwdriver in there
thatgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:21 PM   #5
Chi_San
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2005 Baja Turbo
White/Silver/Black 3tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgarrett View Post
Yeah this was a big pain in my old Legacy with the same interior as your Baja, I couldn’t even get a stubby screwdriver in there
I've got a small right angle screwdriver I think I can use... I might also have a ratchet attachment for a screwdriver bit.

Hopefully this weekend I'll have my new bulbs so I can try this again... And about 5 weeks from now, I can paint it all.