Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Newbies & FAQs

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-05-2023, 04:14 PM   #1
dacackler
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524022
Default Do I need to pull the motor to seat a TOB?

Hello everyone just a quick question. I recently pulled my motor for a lot of small things; gaskets (oil leaks), new spark plugs, timing, and a new clutch with a resurfaced flywheel, and overall just maintenance.

After getting everything installed, the motor had issues starting (found out it was a simple fuse .

But while the car was at the shop the Subaru master tech said I need to pull the motor again because the TOB wasn't seated properly. When I first put the motor in I put the TOB on the input shaft and made sure the clutch fork was in those little ears on the TOB. While I was putting in the motor, I wanted to make sure the car was in neutral and because I wasn't thinking and by pure muscle memory I pressed the clutch and blew the seal on the slave cylinder.

TD;DR So what my question is can I theoretically sneak in a pry bar or something and just push that TOB to seat in the clutch assembly get a new slave and she should be good or do I HAVE to pull the motor to get the TOB to clip into place. Thanks in advance!
dacackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2023, 05:08 PM   #2
Ools
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 177894
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
99 2.5 RS
silver

Pulling the motor is probably easiest. You could also drop the trans if you have access to a good lift.

Did your TOB have the thin clips you use to keep it attached to the fork?

Subaru has had several types throughout the years, so model info is relevant.
Ools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #3
dacackler
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 524022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ools View Post
Pulling the motor is probably easiest. You could also drop the trans if you have access to a good lift.

Did your TOB have the thin clips you use to keep it attached to the fork?

Subaru has had several types throughout the years, so model info is relevant.
I was afraid I had to. I did it once I can do it again... For what is worth I bought a clutch kit from Competition Clutch the TOB looked like this shorturl.at/deTWZ. The clips I think you may be referring too are those things on the end I called "ears"
dacackler is offline   Reply With Quote