Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 17, 2017
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #9526
djpast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31016
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2016 Focus RS (blue)
2005 WRX Wagon (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfoot77 View Post
Hey all, I bought a white 2017 a few months back. I'm coming from a 2013 STI Limited and here are a few thoughts I have on it ( this is based strictly on street driving, have not tracked or raced the car yet):
* Suspension is a lot stiffer/bouncier - but I do not find it uncomfortable - it feels like a go-kart going around corners - a blast
* Tramlining is very significant - switching lanes on the highway while on the throttle you can feel the tires grip and get a bit squirrely - you really need to be paying attention I think
* I find the shifting to be much smoother and easier than my STI
* The seats were worrying at first, but after a day or so and multiple adjustments, I find them to be perfectly comfortable, though getting in and out of the car is definitely a bit of a challenge
* A LOT less room in the car (e.g. I cannot put my golf bag in the trunk without first removing driver) and I cannot fold down the back seats because the rear head rest hits the back of the front driver seat
* I find the exhaust popping to be annoying and gimicky (I'm old) - I'm hoping a protune can remove it
* The fake in-cabin exhaust noise is annoying and overkill - fortunately it takes about 1 minute to disable

I'm looking to get a tune, and I'm curious how this mountune stuff works without voiding your warranty? Is it just an off-the-shelf map e.g. stage1/stage2 subaru?

Before you buy anything, make sure you realize that its the Ford Performance package from Mountune thats warranty safe, not ANY of the other tunes available . No Cobb AP, it comes instead with the ProCal flasher tool/software, and yes, it needs to be installed by Ford or ASE certified tech for the Ford Performance warranty to take over.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
djpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #9527
Rancid
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3272
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: I'm a pirate.
Vehicle:
2016 VW Golf R
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
Before you buy anything, make sure you realize that its the Ford Performance package from Mountune thats warranty safe, not ANY of the other tunes available . No Cobb AP, it comes instead with the ProCal flasher tool/software, and yes, it needs to be installed by Ford or ASE certified tech for the Ford Performance warranty to take over.
Incorrect. The MP mountune packages that include the mTune device are warranty friendly. You can see the package here: https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune...363-280-bb.htm
Rancid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #9528
mitch808
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10228
Join Date: Sep 2001
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
Before you buy anything, make sure you realize that its the Ford Performance package from Mountune thats warranty safe, not ANY of the other tunes available . No Cobb AP, it comes instead with the ProCal flasher tool/software, and yes, it needs to be installed by Ford or ASE certified tech for the Ford Performance warranty to take over.
At what point did Mountune swap from Cobb AP's to ProCal devices? I don't think they have done this. Ford ProCal is one device, sold by Ford Racing Performance. Mountune has only supported Cobb AP. However the AP is a CARB compliant device, that cannot accept any other tunes, it's restricted/locked down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
Incorrect. The MP mountune packages that include the mTune device are warranty friendly. You can see the package here: https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune...363-280-bb.htm
That's my understanding too.
mitch808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #9529
scrappydoo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23630
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
97 v4 STi RA
Feather White, 02 WRX MBP

Default

I don't know if warranty safe is the right way to put it. Your warranty becomes a ford performance warranty that is a 36 month/36,000 mile warranty. It starts on the same date as your factory warranty. You can't add extended warranties to it and there are some differences on what's covered compared to the standard warranty.

Also, when you have the dealer install any mods make sure they input it into their OASIS database. It'll cya later if you need to make any claims.
scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #9530
scrappydoo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23630
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
97 v4 STi RA
Feather White, 02 WRX MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
At what point did Mountune swap from Cobb AP's to ProCal devices? I don't think they have done this. Ford ProCal is one device, sold by Ford Racing Performance. Mountune has only supported Cobb AP. However the AP is a CARB compliant device, that cannot accept any other tunes, it's restricted/locked down.



That's my understanding too.
Those are 2 separate tunes. The cobb/mountune isn't available yet.
scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #9531
scrappydoo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23630
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
97 v4 STi RA
Feather White, 02 WRX MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
Incorrect. The MP mountune packages that include the mTune device are warranty friendly. You can see the package here: https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune...363-280-bb.htm
Sorry for the triple post, but one last thing. The mountune stuff on their website is different from the stuff at the dealerships. The dealer I got my car at said those mountune parts direct for them don't qualify for the ford performance warranty. It has to be bought through a dealership or through the ford performance website.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/mountune-performance-parts/
scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #9532
mitch808
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 10228
Join Date: Sep 2001
Vehicle:
2002 Subaru WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappydoo View Post
Sorry for the triple post, but one last thing. The mountune stuff on their website is different from the stuff at the dealerships. The dealer I got my car at said those mountune parts direct for them don't qualify for the ford performance warranty. It has to be bought through a dealership or through the ford performance website.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/mo...ormance-parts/
It has to be INSTALLED, not purchased through the dealer or Mountune USA for coverage.
mitch808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #9533
scrappydoo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23630
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
97 v4 STi RA
Feather White, 02 WRX MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
It has to be INSTALLED, not purchased through the dealer or Mountune USA for coverage.
Get that clarified with your dealer. Mine says otherwise
scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #9534
djpast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31016
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2016 Focus RS (blue)
2005 WRX Wagon (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid View Post
Incorrect. The MP mountune packages that include the mTune device are warranty friendly. You can see the package here: https://www.mountuneusa.com/mountune...363-280-bb.htm

We are talking about the RS here. Here is the link to the ONLY warranty safe tune available: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-FRS

Includes a ProCal. The rest of the Mountune tunes are not warranty safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
At what point did Mountune swap from Cobb AP's to ProCal devices? I don't think they have done this. Ford ProCal is one device, sold by Ford Racing Performance. Mountune has only supported Cobb AP. However the AP is a CARB compliant device, that cannot accept any other tunes, it's restricted/locked down.



That's my understanding too.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-FRS


Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappydoo View Post
Those are 2 separate tunes. The cobb/mountune isn't available yet.
Not sure what you mean? As far as CARB/Warranty safe, or just in general? Because Mountune has had APs and tunes available since nearly day 1, but not warranty safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappydoo View Post
Sorry for the triple post, but one last thing. The mountune stuff on their website is different from the stuff at the dealerships. The dealer I got my car at said those mountune parts direct for them don't qualify for the ford performance warranty. It has to be bought through a dealership or through the ford performance website.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/mo...ormance-parts/
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
It has to be INSTALLED, not purchased through the dealer or Mountune USA for coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappydoo View Post
Get that clarified with your dealer. Mine says otherwise
Mountune, until recently, had the Ford Performance package on their site, with the exact same wording as the link above. I think its only off at the moment due to the huge backlog of orders they got since they were offering 2 week delivery vs December availability through Ford.
djpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #9535
scrappydoo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23630
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
97 v4 STi RA
Feather White, 02 WRX MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
We are talking about the RS here. Here is the link to the ONLY warranty safe tune available: https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-FRS

Includes a ProCal. The rest of the Mountune tunes are not warranty safe.

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-FRS




Not sure what you mean? As far as CARB/Warranty safe, or just in general? Because Mountune has had APs and tunes available since nearly day 1, but not warranty safe.
I'm talking about the warranty safe products. I think that's what the convo was based from above. I could be wrong though. I bought my car from my neighbor who works at a Ford dealership. I've been bugging him about a cobb ap since I got the car and he said they're not available yet. Maybe he just means for my 2017 model.






Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
Mountune, until recently, had the Ford Performance package on their site, with the exact same wording as the link above. I think its only off at the moment due to the huge backlog of orders they got since they were offering 2 week delivery vs December availability through Ford.
This is something else I spoke to my neighbor about. The ap direct from mountune isn't locked. The dealership (or his at least) isn't going to cover that with the ford performance warranty. On top of that, what mountune parts are they supposed to cover? I doubt they'd cover the BorgWarner turbo upgrade kit, or the 2.3l bored out motor they sell. He said the official ford performance products are the only products they will honor your warranty with. Maybe your dealership is more lenient.
scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:38 AM   #9536
djpast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31016
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2016 Focus RS (blue)
2005 WRX Wagon (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappydoo View Post
I'm talking about the warranty safe products. I think that's what the convo was based from above. I could be wrong though. I bought my car from my neighbor who works at a Ford dealership. I've been bugging him about a cobb ap since I got the car and he said they're not available yet. Maybe he just means for my 2017 model.







This is something else I spoke to my neighbor about. The ap direct from mountune isn't locked. The dealership (or his at least) isn't going to cover that with the ford performance warranty. On top of that, what mountune parts are they supposed to cover? I doubt they'd cover the BorgWarner turbo upgrade kit, or the 2.3l bored out motor they sell. He said the official ford performance products are the only products they will honor your warranty with. Maybe your dealership is more lenient.
Did you check out the link i posted? Thats what we are getting. Its for 16-17. Its not available until late this year, unless you order the same package from Mountune (same part number, same parts) if it becomes available on their site again. The warranty gets covered because its just a flash done by their ProCal tool, its never meant to be messed with. I doubt Ford will ever offer the AP for the RS. Your neighbor probably is just making assumptions. There are no differences between the 16 and 17, they have the same everything. Ford was pretty upfront about that warranty safe tune was going to be available, I have been waiting since I have picked up the car a year ago.


Basically if you flashed a stock RS with it, everything would be covered that normally is. Yeah, if you add extra aftermarket parts, that could jeopardize that, same as your normal warranty. If you flash with a mountune (or cobb) AP, you warranty is pretty much done if something happens. They know.
djpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #9537
scrappydoo
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 23630
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
97 v4 STi RA
Feather White, 02 WRX MBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
Did you check out the link i posted? Thats what we are getting. Its for 16-17. Its not available until late this year, unless you order the same package from Mountune (same part number, same parts) if it becomes available on their site again. The warranty gets covered because its just a flash done by their ProCal tool, its never meant to be messed with. I doubt Ford will ever offer the AP for the RS. Your neighbor probably is just making assumptions. There are no differences between the 16 and 17, they have the same everything. Ford was pretty upfront about that warranty safe tune was going to be available, I have been waiting since I have picked up the car a year ago.


Basically if you flashed a stock RS with it, everything would be covered that normally is. Yeah, if you add extra aftermarket parts, that could jeopardize that, same as your normal warranty. If you flash with a mountune (or cobb) AP, you warranty is pretty much done if something happens. They know.
Sorry I didn't realize the conversation had switched to the ProCal. We were talking about the ap just a few posts before that.
scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:41 AM   #9538
Rancid
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3272
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: I'm a pirate.
Vehicle:
2016 VW Golf R
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpast View Post
We are talking about the RS here.
My bad, you're right. No MP stuff for RS yet.
Rancid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #9539
djpast
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31016
Join Date: Dec 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland, OR
Vehicle:
2016 Focus RS (blue)
2005 WRX Wagon (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappydoo View Post
Sorry I didn't realize the conversation had switched to the ProCal. We were talking about the ap just a few posts before that.
Right, but the point I am trying to drive home is there is not and likely will not be any warranty safe tunes that utilize an AP.
djpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #9540
Pearl Jam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 145180
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Glocester, RI
Vehicle:
2017 Focus ST
1994 Camry Luxo Puff

Default

So my mechanic used conventional oil on my ST. Is my car going to explode?
Pearl Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #9541
delongedoug
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 124113
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rich Coast
Vehicle:
Pura vida!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Jam View Post
So my mechanic used conventional oil on my ST. Is my car going to explode?
Take it back and tell him to do it right for free. Then never return. Or don't return at all and have someone competent do it.
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #9542
Pearl Jam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 145180
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Glocester, RI
Vehicle:
2017 Focus ST
1994 Camry Luxo Puff

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delongedoug View Post
Take it back and tell him to do it right for free. Then never return. Or don't return at all and have someone competent do it.


I haven't had much luck with oil changes on this car. My first one, they forgot to put the oil cap back on. I noticed this five miles later when I decided to check the oil level at home. Needless to say I didn't go back there for my recent change. Now I have this recent issue. Will running regular oil do any harm? I'm mostly highway driving.
Pearl Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #9543
jord55
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 135688
Join Date: Dec 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: VA Beach/Blacksburg
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
SGM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Jam View Post
I haven't had much luck with oil changes on this car. My first one, they forgot to put the oil cap back on. I noticed this five miles later when I decided to check the oil level at home. Needless to say I didn't go back there for my recent change. Now I have this recent issue. Will running regular oil do any harm? I'm mostly highway driving.
It won't grenade your motor immediately, but I'd get it out of there as soon as is reasonable. Conventional can turn to a fairly viscous goo pretty (relatively) quickly and you don't want that taking hold in your engine.

From another standpoint, if you paid for an oil change that should've been full synthetic you should have them make it right.
jord55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #9544
delongedoug
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 124113
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Rich Coast
Vehicle:
Pura vida!

Default

Why would you risk a $30k vehicle on a $50 oil change? Quit being retarded and either do it yourself or at a friend's house. You've already had one bozo nearly destroy your engine, and now that there's a second, you still won't learn?
delongedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:24 PM   #9545
Pearl Jam
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 145180
Join Date: Apr 2007
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Glocester, RI
Vehicle:
2017 Focus ST
1994 Camry Luxo Puff

Default Ford Focus ST/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by delongedoug View Post
Why would you risk a $30k vehicle on a $50 oil change? Quit being retarded and either do it yourself or at a friend's house. You've already had one bozo nearly destroy your engine, and now that there's a second, you still won't learn?


Well my Focus didn't cost me anywhere near $30k but that's not important. So anyway I checked my owners manual and Ford "recommends" a synthetic blend but does not require it. I'm going to keep this oil for 3k then change it to full synthetic myself.
Pearl Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:28 PM   #9546
bcblues
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17256
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: America's Outback
Vehicle:
04 STi
Blue w/ custom bug splat

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Jam View Post
Well my Focus didn't cost me anywhere near $30k but that's not important. So anyway I checked my owners manual and Ford "recommends" a synthetic blend but does not require it. I'm going to keep this oil for 3k then change it to full synthetic myself.
That will be fine. It is oil. As long as you don't try to run it as long as the synthetic oil you will be fine. Relax.
bcblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #9547
f4phantomii
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 58504
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ready to try OpenECU.org!!!
Vehicle:
2004 STi w/o wing
Aspen White / Silver

Default

Was behind a Fiesta ST going up an on ramp. A garbage truck and two semi's were already in the right lane, and none of them bothered to get over to allow us to merge in.

The on-ramp merge lane is fairly long, so the Fiesta and I both accelerated up to merge over well in front of the convoy without causing any traffic flow issues.

I must say, the gap between the ST and my STi did not open, nor close.

Pretty impressive little machine. I can see why it gets accolades as cheap fun.
f4phantomii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #9548
Cababah
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 220319
Join Date: Aug 2009
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: OC
Vehicle:
2016 FoST
OW

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Jam View Post
I haven't had much luck with oil changes on this car. My first one, they forgot to put the oil cap back on. I noticed this five miles later when I decided to check the oil level at home. Needless to say I didn't go back there for my recent change. Now I have this recent issue. Will running regular oil do any harm? I'm mostly highway driving.
Same here...2 visits to different Ford dealers and both ended up putting 5w-20 instead of 5w-30. Not a HUGE deal but I still made them drain it and refill both times. They didn't charge me for either as a result but the moral is if you are getting the oil changed at a dealer for whatever reason (free coupon, service plan, etc) always read the invoice and verify that they put the correct weight and quantity - 5.7qt / 5w-30.

I also always pop the hood after and verify everything was put back on and screwed on tight.
Cababah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 05:26 PM   #9549
poison
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 37678
Join Date: May 2003
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Default

I found a local 2015 with 16,800 miles, asking $17,800. It has short throw shifter, BOV, and a Borla Exhaust. I'm assuming none of those would void the warranty. It's calling me!
poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:01 PM   #9550
BacDoc
Don't Thread on Me
Moderator
 
Member#: 75141
Join Date: Nov 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison View Post
I found a local 2015 with 16,800 miles, asking $17,800. It has short throw shifter, BOV, and a Borla Exhaust. I'm assuming none of those would void the warranty. It's calling me!
The depreciation of those cars is amazing. Something to consider?


On topic I ordered an RS back in the winter and turned it down when it arrived. Too many issues on track and with the head gaskets I hear.
BacDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Ford Focus ST headed for Paris *Merged* darknightohio Non-Subaru News & Rumors 152 07-03-2014 11:40 AM
Outrageous claim: the 2 best sedans on the Market are The Ford Focus & Chevy Cruze WagonMonster Off-Topic 15 06-27-2011 03:05 AM
Ford Focus ST (5 door) already in the US? Kiwi Non-Subaru News & Rumors 20 06-09-2008 06:56 PM
Ford Focus ST facelift BlownGasket Non-Subaru News & Rumors 7 11-09-2007 10:03 AM
X-Ray Ford Focus ST Black Edition AVANTI R5 Non-Subaru News & Rumors 11 09-10-2007 01:47 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2017 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2017, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.