Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
South West Impreza Club
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > South West Impreza Club Forum -- SWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #1976
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 252218
Chapter/Region: SWIC

No but I also didn't get an ABS light. I do have a haynes, and I think another manual from the intarwebs. Will do!
mj213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #1977
mj213
Scooby Newbie

I've been waiting for this rainstorm to let up so I could take a look. Checked the ABS, wasn't the culprit. Had a thought pop into my head about the AWD system, and how weird it behaves when an axle pops out. Left rear was about 1/4" out of the diff. Popped it back in and it's back to normal.

Looks like it's popping back out as soon as I pull it out of gear. Must not be seating for some reason.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:40 AM   #1978
02 RS
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 120233
Vehicle:
2005 08 135i
w/ 100% less Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj213 View Post
I've been waiting for this rainstorm to let up so I could take a look. Checked the ABS, wasn't the culprit. Had a thought pop into my head about the AWD system, and how weird it behaves when an axle pops out. Left rear was about 1/4" out of the diff. Popped it back in and it's back to normal.

Looks like it's popping back out as soon as I pull it out of gear. Must not be seating for some reason.
That's weird. Those clips usually don't pop out. Every time I've dealt with them, they're stuck in the diff.. I've had that problem before though. I was left stranded. Pull that big ass bolt out from the rear hub/ lateral links and use the hub to jam it back in. A jack under the hub after u have it on jack stands makes it SO much easier.
02 RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #1979
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 RS View Post
That's weird. Those clips usually don't pop out. Every time I've dealt with them, they're stuck in the diff.. I've had that problem before though. I was left stranded. Pull that big ass bolt out from the rear hub/ lateral links and use the hub to jam it back in. A jack under the hub after u have it on jack stands makes it SO much easier.
You mean the one that threads through the hub perpendicular to the axle? I was going to remove the axle and reseat it. That would give me the chance to check to make sure the clip is still intact.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:21 PM   #1980
02 RS
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 08 135i
w/ 100% less Subaru

Quote:
You mean the one that threads through the hub perpendicular to the axle? I was going to remove the axle and reseat it. That would give me the chance to check to make sure the clip is still intact.
That's the one. U have to undo that anyway if your going to re seat the axle. That think can be a PITA to get out sometimes. When removing it, put a jack under the rear hub where the trailing arm bolts up to the hub and jack it up to take some of the pressure off of it. Makes it easier. Then, after you inspect the clip put the outer axle back in the hub and use the hub to seat it in the diff by pushing inwards.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #1981
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Gotcha. Those things are notorious for seizing. I have two impact wrenches, and pb blaster, though.

Now I need to find some wagon springs and replace control arms.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #1982
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Got the axles locked in. Also managed to smooth out the easement at the end of the driveway (2-3 layers of asphalt on the street created a huge lip) with 4 bags of concrete. I'm so used to driving with the lift on the forester, now with the drop I was afraid I'd start scraping the front end every time I go in/out of the driveway.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:54 AM   #1983
ferrettank
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389423
Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Sonic Yellow

Haha I saw a red Forester while I was standing in front of Panda Express, was that you :O
ferrettank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #1984
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrettank View Post
Haha I saw a red Forester while I was standing in front of Panda Express, was that you :O
Most likely not. I heard you driving by on the way out there, though! If you see my out in the driveway working on the car feel free to stop by and say hi. I'm always doing something out there anyway.

BenQ has an SG/XT (black wheels, lowered) that you might see around. In fact I saw him coming off the 'overpass' behind yavapai college this morning.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:42 AM   #1985
ferrettank
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Sonic Yellow

Quote:
Most likely not. I heard you driving by on the way out there, though! If you see my out in the driveway working on the car feel free to stop by and say hi. I'm always doing something out there anyway.

BenQ has an SG/XT (black wheels, lowered) that you might see around. In fact I saw him coming off the 'overpass' behind yavapai college this morning.
Sweet, yeah if I have time I will have to stop by I was just working on my car too, I installed a new rear hub. The old hub was bent BADLY. Who ever had the car must of hit a curb hard. Luckily everything else fine.I also installed new steering bushings, it made a HUGE difference in handling .

Hmmm, yeah I don't think it was him.

Also, I need an alignment done to my Subie, any recommendations?
Old 07-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #1986
mj213
Scooby Newbie

I've had mine done at network automotive at the corner of sheldon and grove. They did a pretty good job on mine (also told me I had 2 bent control arms!).

I'll be installing prodrive springs next week, and at some point, ordering koni inserts. Hopefully, I'll have new tires on my extra set of rims, by then.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:11 PM   #1987
USLiberty
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 294466
Vehicle:
1993 Legacy SS
white

If you still have issues, I thought I had a bent rim, hub or rotor for a while. I replaced all those. It would pulse under braking like a warped rotor, ended up being a bent front a-arm(LCA). I was able to measure one arm was pushed back 1/4" further than the other side.
Few places align 17" and up rims, network and Jims alignment. I prefer Jim's because they were willing to adjust my rear camber without camber bolts. Network wanted an extra 75$ to install camber bolts in the rear. Jim's had no problem or arguments setting my suspension exactly to my specs. Also had the Porsche aligned there.
USLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #1988
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Oh, forgot you mentioned Jim's previously.

Since school is starting in a few weeks, and I'm approaching the scheduled timing belt maintenance, I am most likely going to be doing that soon. I'm also strongly considering doing the head gaskets, since there's a leak somewhere, and from what I am reading my forester is prone to HG failure.

I found a thread about doing the HG without pulling the engine, but I'm wondering if it may be easier to do both timing belt and HG (and engine mounts most likely) with the engine out.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #1989
02 RS
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 08 135i
w/ 100% less Subaru

Quote:
Oh, forgot you mentioned Jim's previously.

Since school is starting in a few weeks, and I'm approaching the scheduled timing belt maintenance, I am most likely going to be doing that soon. I'm also strongly considering doing the head gaskets, since there's a leak somewhere, and from what I am reading my forester is prone to HG failure.

I found a thread about doing the HG without pulling the engine, but I'm wondering if it may be easier to do both timing belt and HG (and engine mounts most likely) with the engine out.
Pull the motor if your planning on doing engine mounts and head gaskets. My friend worked at a shop and did head gaskets without pulling the motor. Royal PITA. He said they had 3 people working on it to make sure they didn't scratch the mating surfaces, or drop the heads. We pulled my motor out for my STi swap and he said "damn, that was easy, I shoulda pulled the motor on that wagon!". Plus I have everything needed to get all those jobs done, even an engine crane. All for a price, of course.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #1990
rcostia
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 144902
Vehicle:
2004 STI
PSM

Quote:
Pull the motor if your planning on doing engine mounts and head gaskets. My friend worked at a shop and did head gaskets without pulling the motor. Royal PITA. He said they had 3 people working on it to make sure they didn't scratch the mating surfaces, or drop the heads. We pulled my motor out for my STi swap and he said "damn, that was easy, I shoulda pulled the motor on that wagon!". Plus I have everything needed to get all those jobs done, even an engine crane. All for a price, of course.

Are you whoring yourself out again? Lol
rcostia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:46 AM   #1991
ferrettank
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Sonic Yellow

Quote:
I've had mine done at network automotive at the corner of sheldon and grove. They did a pretty good job on mine (also told me I had 2 bent control arms!).

I'll be installing prodrive springs next week, and at some point, ordering koni inserts. Hopefully, I'll have new tires on my extra set of rims, by then.
I don't know what Koni inserts are, but yay handling upgrades ! I want new rims on my car, the ones that are on there are really cheap :S
Old 07-31-2014, 10:20 AM   #1992
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Koni inserts are struts made by Koni that you insert into the stock strut housing (requires some cutting). Koni (other companies as well) made them so owners could install their struts without waiting for them to design the entire strut housing (with perch, mounts, etc). Plus, they're supposed to be a bit less money.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:30 AM   #1993
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
How about 2 1 bottles of Negro Modelo? Haha. As it turns out, I found the head gaskets were indeed replaced with the updated versions by the dealer from the original/previous owner. Whew. And no coolant leaks. Still tempted to pull the motor, though. Also hesitant to do it, as I fear if I do, I may have it out so long I'll get the itch to rebuild the motor. I'd ultimately like to replace any leaking gaskets, seals, etc at the very least, along with the timing belt kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcostia View Post
Are you whoring yourself out again? Lol
Isn't that what people do around here? It's pays the best, from what my dad told me.

Last edited by mj213; 08-01-2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Disappearing beer!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #1994
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Priced parts for the timing belt kit at Tim's and they are way higher than if I order them from another dealer (online discounts via subaruforester forum). The lowest they could go was still somewhere around $100 higher with taxes. I'm torn between going with ALL OEM stuff or getting a gates kit, and piecing out the rest with OEM parts. Some people complain about the water pump quality.

With prodrive springs coming monday, I'll be ordering koni inserts in the next few weeks, as well as front and rear sway bars and endlinks.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #1995
02 RS
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 08 135i
w/ 100% less Subaru

Quote:
Priced parts for the timing belt kit at Tim's and they are way higher than if I order them from another dealer. The lowest they could go was still somewhere around $100 higher with taxes.
Ive used the gates kit for that exact reason. Never had a problem with them. Make sure to get a new thermostat too cuz I don't remember the kit coming with one. Rock Auto Has em pretty cheap. If your car is DOHC, I have the cam lock tool to make it a 1 person job too.

On another note, meet tomorrow night? What say you, Prescottonians?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #1996
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Ive used the gates kit for that exact reason. Never had a problem with them. Make sure to get a new thermostat too cuz I don't remember the kit coming with one. Rock Auto Has em pretty cheap. If your car is DOHC, I have the cam lock tool to make it a 1 person job too.

On another note, meet tomorrow night? What say you, Prescottonians?
Thankfully, it's SOHC. Only the 1st year foresters are DOHC. Good to hear about the gates kit. I will get the thermostat and other parts from Subaru. As far as the meet, I don't think I'll be able to make it this time.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #1997
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrettank View Post
I don't know what Koni inserts are, but yay handling upgrades ! I want new rims on my car, the ones that are on there are really cheap :S
Saw you out at 5 guys earlier. Was with my wife and kids. Little one was sick so I was hanging out with him in the backseat of the van.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #1998
ferrettank
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2003 WRX Wagon
Sonic Yellow

Haha yep, I was at 5 guys xD, their burgers are so good! Also yeah, a bug has been going around, I had a pretty bad cold a week ago :S
Old 08-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #1999
mj213
Scooby Newbie

On a side note.. or side post. Someone in a 98-00 forester with a SUBARU logo on the windshield was flashing their lights at me in front of Walmart/Lamb intersection yesterday. Currently running without my front bumper cover. inner fender liner needed some cleaning up.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #2000
mj213
Scooby Newbie

Saw a white 4th gen WRX(?) 5 door this morning on 89a with matching white wheels. Is that your old car, sagesti? Had RA flaps on it.