Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday February 24, 2021
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.







* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2020, 02:41 AM   #1301
D-Rodman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110078
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Vehicle:
02 Bugeye JDM STi
OBP BLACK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
Is that why their prices are so high lol but yeah thanks for the heads up...


If you want a low price check JDM New York. I recently purchased a very good JDM ej205 from them for $850. I like that they donít wash the motors, you get to see the motor in itís natural condition, easy to spot leaks or potential issues. Also, no water inside the motor.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
D-Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:58 PM   #1302
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Does anyone know if the omni power map sensor will work with the jdm ecu
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:05 AM   #1303
Bluestreak03
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 125887
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Southern Oregon
Vehicle:
2001 EJ207 V7 RSTi,
Mica Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
Does anyone know if the omni power map sensor will work with the jdm ecu
Yes, you just have to calibrate the map sensor numbers in the ECU
Bluestreak03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:44 PM   #1304
Stretch916
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 519477
Join Date: Oct 2020
Default

I am considering doing a 207 swap into my 03, I live in CA can anyone please shed some real light on whether this is doable or not? I would like to at least pass BAR inspection if necessary but open to other options. This will be my daily so I dont want to move forward until I know I will be able to run this motor. Lots of mixed info out there and pretty outdated, looking for some direction.

Not sure if this was the best place to post but I am too new to create a new thread. TIA
Stretch916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #1305
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch916 View Post
I am considering doing a 207 swap into my 03, I live in CA can anyone please shed some real light on whether this is doable or not? I would like to at least pass BAR inspection if necessary but open to other options. This will be my daily so I dont want to move forward until I know I will be able to run this motor. Lots of mixed info out there and pretty outdated, looking for some direction.

Not sure if this was the best place to post but I am too new to create a new thread. TIA
you cant pass the bar with a jdm engine, if you are worried about the smogs, the only option is a sti swap.. but even then it is better to just sell your car and buy a unmodified sti. just a fyi soon enough you wont be able to have a modified car in California. the pass no fail smogs will be gone in a matter of time and with all the info that is downloaded whne you get a smog they can tell whats going on and you will get sent to the ref.
There is some guy that got our awesome loud exhaust ticket and the ref told that inorder to bring his car in he had to take it to the dealer to get the stock tune back on the ecu...and this was without even seeing the car, so yeah they know.

a friend of mine wanted to sell his car and but he got flagged on his last smog to get rid of the car. so now he cant unless he puts it all back to stock
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:14 PM   #1306
Stretch916
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 519477
Join Date: Oct 2020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post
you cant pass the bar with a jdm engine, if you are worried about the smogs, the only option is a sti swap.. but even then it is better to just sell your car and buy a unmodified sti. just a fyi soon enough you wont be able to have a modified car in California. the pass no fail smogs will be gone in a matter of time and with all the info that is downloaded whne you get a smog they can tell whats going on and you will get sent to the ref.
There is some guy that got our awesome loud exhaust ticket and the ref told that inorder to bring his car in he had to take it to the dealer to get the stock tune back on the ecu...and this was without even seeing the car, so yeah they know.

a friend of mine wanted to sell his car and but he got flagged on his last smog to get rid of the car. so now he cant unless he puts it all back to stock

Thatís too bad. Was really hoping there would be a way to make this work. Thanks for the info
Stretch916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 03:14 PM   #1307
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch916 View Post
Thatís too bad. Was really hoping there would be a way to make this work. Thanks for the info
yeah i hear ya, but with the smog system checking for tunes now its a toss up if you are going to get sent to the ref
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:22 PM   #1308
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182415
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Default

You guys happen to know specifically how/what their computer checks in the ECU to see if its been flashed? They've been mumbling about it here in NY but they let their computer updates go for 10-12 years at a shot and we just had them done about a year ago. Next step for us might be whatever systems you use there.
Bansheeboy11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:40 PM   #1309
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
You guys happen to know specifically how/what their computer checks in the ECU to see if its been flashed? They've been mumbling about it here in NY but they let their computer updates go for 10-12 years at a shot and we just had them done about a year ago. Next step for us might be whatever systems you use there.
so here is what I know, about 2 years ago, all the smog places had to buy new machines and had to update their systems. a friend of mine told me that he went to a smog update class and found out they were taking about 17 pages of info off the ecu through the smog system even though all you see as the consumer is the pass or fail monitors. what I think is that it is taking all the info off your your ecu with all your settings. so in the last year they changed one of the laws that if you get caught with a exhaust too loud, you get sent to the ref.... there is one guy that said he called and the Ref told him that he had to get his ecu set back to stock... so they know whats going on.

you know sooner or later all the state are going to move to a system like ours
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:48 PM   #1310
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182415
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Default

Yeh but it can only read info that the ECU will put out for emissions/inspection purposes, you cant pull anything else off of it without a proper program say from a manufacturer. A 03 WRX will have different data outputs than a 2019 Audi S6, they cant have one machine that forcefully pulls data from a car, hell theres lots of high end scan tools that cant pull data. And if it does read the data thats put out by the ECU, what would they be comparing it to in order to verify its changed? I dont think thats what the computers are actually capable of, sounds like a DOT facility that just figures tuner cars have modified ECUs or something.

Our new computers just have faster/better software than the ones from 06/08 that we've had for years. Only reads check engine lights and emissions monitors, cant pull actual data from anything. Honestly i dont see any drastic OBD2 changes in the near future, id imagine a new communication standard would be adopted if something like that were to happen, but with how hard manufacturers have been handling their ECU calibrations as intellectual property, they'll put up a big fight when the government tries to put their weenies in the party.
Bansheeboy11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #1311
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
Yeh but it can only read info that the ECU will put out for emissions/inspection purposes, you cant pull anything else off of it without a proper program say from a manufacturer. A 03 WRX will have different data outputs than a 2019 Audi S6, they cant have one machine that forcefully pulls data from a car, hell theres lots of high end scan tools that cant pull data. And if it does read the data thats put out by the ECU, what would they be comparing it to in order to verify its changed? I dont think thats what the computers are actually capable of, sounds like a DOT facility that just figures tuner cars have modified ECUs or something.

Our new computers just have faster/better software than the ones from 06/08 that we've had for years. Only reads check engine lights and emissions monitors, cant pull actual data from anything. Honestly i dont see any drastic OBD2 changes in the near future, id imagine a new communication standard would be adopted if something like that were to happen, but with how hard manufacturers have been handling their ECU calibrations as intellectual property, they'll put up a big fight when the government tries to put their weenies in the party.
you know when Cali started this program, they didn't tell the consumer that either. unless you are part of the smog program they really don't tell you anything has ever changed, even at that, most smog techs don't understand what it means either.. my thinking is that if the dealers can tell if you are tuned.... Its just a matter of time before the state catches up.

but I guess now that biden is in office, he said he wanted all combustion engine cars to be off the road in 15 years.. so we are all dinosaurs
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:05 PM   #1312
D-Rodman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110078
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Vehicle:
02 Bugeye JDM STi
OBP BLACK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru_gc8 View Post



but I guess now that biden is in office, he said he wanted all combustion engine cars to be off the road in 15 years.. so we are all dinosaurs


Can you point me to anything real that proves he has actually said that ?
D-Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #1313
Shinji N
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3987
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Vehicle:
1998 2.5RS
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bansheeboy11 View Post
Yeh but it can only read info that the ECU will put out for emissions/inspection purposes, you cant pull anything else off of it without a proper program say from a manufacturer. A 03 WRX will have different data outputs than a 2019 Audi S6, they cant have one machine that forcefully pulls data from a car, hell theres lots of high end scan tools that cant pull data. And if it does read the data thats put out by the ECU, what would they be comparing it to in order to verify its changed? I dont think thats what the computers are actually capable of, sounds like a DOT facility that just figures tuner cars have modified ECUs or something.
I can share my experience with this area. I live in California, have a 1998 2.5rs, and have a 2002 USDM WRX engine legally swapped into it, inspected by the CA BAR smog referee. Before the referee inspection, the ECU had to be verified by a Subaru dealer. I had to provide the referee proof from the dealer in the form of a firmware checksum value.

We think that the CA BAR has a database of these checksum values to see whether or not an ECU has been modified. The theory is that even though they can't read all the different manufacturers ECU firmware/programming, they're able to read the checksums with the current smog equipment and use that to determine if its a factory tune or modified.
Shinji N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #1314
Bansheeboy11
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 182415
Join Date: Jun 2008
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: New York
Vehicle:
1999 RS
Aspen White

Default

Damn thats quite an intricate operation lol, our dealers around here frequently tell DOT and inspection officers to F off. Id imagine something would have to be written in state legislation to make it stick.
Bansheeboy11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:53 PM   #1315
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Finally got my ej207 swap started up today and the engine has rod knock....now I got to see what the shop is going to cover as far as warranty...probably not **** since I'm not a certified mechanic. Anyway what's a good course of action for rebuilding an ej207? I'll probably rebuild everything including the heads now.
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:37 PM   #1316
D-Rodman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110078
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Vehicle:
02 Bugeye JDM STi
OBP BLACK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
Finally got my ej207 swap started up today and the engine has rod knock....now I got to see what the shop is going to cover as far as warranty...probably not **** since I'm not a certified mechanic. Anyway what's a good course of action for rebuilding an ej207? I'll probably rebuild everything including the heads now.


Isnít the motor covered under warranty for 30 days ?
D-Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:39 PM   #1317
subaru_gc8
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 29292
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Orange County CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wagon
silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
Finally got my ej207 swap started up today and the engine has rod knock....now I got to see what the shop is going to cover as far as warranty...probably not **** since I'm not a certified mechanic. Anyway what's a good course of action for rebuilding an ej207? I'll probably rebuild everything including the heads now.
man thats a bummer. well if you are going to rebuild. do a 2.1 since you have to change the crank and the rods anyways. if you really want something that can rev get a billet crank and rev to 9000. also get 272 cams that will help alot too
subaru_gc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:14 PM   #1318
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Waiting until tomorrow for a email reply to see if they will honor the warranty. Since I did the install myself and I'm not a certified mechanic they could just tell me to kick rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rodman View Post
Isn***8217;t the motor covered under warranty for 30 days ?
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:48 PM   #1319
D-Rodman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110078
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Vehicle:
02 Bugeye JDM STi
OBP BLACK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
Waiting until tomorrow for a email reply to see if they will honor the warranty. Since I did the install myself and I'm not a certified mechanic they could just tell me to kick rocks.


I donít think so, if they sold you a bad motor thatís all there is to it. You should make it clear that they have to honor the warranty and send another motor. Any chance you purchased that motor from Nagoya ?
Did you pay with a credit card ? Can always dispute the charge.
D-Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #1320
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

It was purchased with a CC yes. The shop is called Top Tier Japan located in Phoenix AZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rodman View Post
I donít think so, if they sold you a bad motor thatís all there is to it. You should make it clear that they have to honor the warranty and send another motor. Any chance you purchased that motor from Nagoya ?
Did you pay with a credit card ? Can always dispute the charge.
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:52 PM   #1321
D-Rodman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 110078
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Vehicle:
02 Bugeye JDM STi
OBP BLACK

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrdogg24 View Post
It was purchased with a CC yes. The shop is called Top Tier Japan located in Phoenix AZ.


Im sure itís not their first rodeo. They will know they have to replace a knocking motor. You can always dispute the credit card charge. You may want to contact your credit card and let them know there is a problem with your purchase. Let them know you are trying to solve the issue with the vendor but you are ready to escalate and dispute the charge if the vendor wonít honor the warranty.
Stupid question but, did you put 4 3/4 quarts of oil in the motor and installed a Subaru oem oil filter before first start ?
D-Rodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #1322
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

Yes the correct oil was put in and i pulled the ignition fuse to crank it over until the oil dummy light turned off before starting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rodman View Post
Im sure itís not their first rodeo. They will know they have to replace a knocking motor. You can always dispute the credit card charge. You may want to contact your credit card and let them know there is a problem with your purchase. Let them know you are trying to solve the issue with the vendor but you are ready to escalate and dispute the charge if the vendor wonít honor the warranty.
Stupid question but, did you put 4 3/4 quarts of oil in the motor and installed a Subaru oem oil filter before first start ?
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:04 PM   #1323
jameshickman
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 522552
Join Date: Feb 2021
Default Amazing

This is amazing thanks so much for putting all of this together! I recently bought a 2002 Impreza WRX sedan with an ej207 and 205 heads. I did not know much about it besides the fact it was the sti motor and had foraged internals until I read this!
jameshickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:24 PM   #1324
Vlad
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 46135
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NY
Vehicle:
19 GLA45 AMG
C63 AMG

Default

Unfortunately, the supply of JDM Ej207 are now older engines and many of the ones with low miles have been on the market already.
The logic next step would be for the DAVCS EJ207 to replace them, in newer body cars..
Anyway, I hope Subaru brings back a hatchback with competitive handling and power, but for now, I got into a hatchback with competitive handling and power.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #1325
murrdogg24
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 50586
Join Date: Dec 2003
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Colorado Springs
Vehicle:
2020 STI
Crystal White Pearl

Default

So just waiting for their "warranty dept" to get back to me to see if they are going to refund me for this engine or what. If I do keep it and they offer me a partial refund I am undecided about what route to take for the rebuild.

1) Rebuild with stock EJ207 parts...don't even know if I can even source them anywhere.
2)New EJ257 SB and rebuild/cnc match the EJ207 heads making a hybrid build.
murrdogg24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2019, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.