Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Electrical & Lighting

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 01-07-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Danny0557
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 381795
Vehicle:
2005 sti
black

Default Lose wire help.

I have this loose wire on top of the alternator . Somebody please tell me where this goes. . Thanks guys
Danny0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Should be part of that harness.....it goes nowhere else unless this is a replaced alternator or swapped harness.
Charlie-III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #3
Danny0557
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 sti
black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Should be part of that harness.....it goes nowhere else unless this is a replaced alternator or swapped harness.

Does your alternator harness have 3 cables aswell?
Old 01-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
SubiBug101
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 452466
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Platinum Silver

Looks like the connector was replaced with a pigtail by a POS mechanic, or previous owner
SubiBug101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 PM   #5
Danny0557
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 sti
black

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubiBug101 View Post
Looks like the connector was replaced with a pigtail by a POS mechanic, or previous owner

Agreed. But would like to fix this issue as ever since I saw this, ive been getting the p0447 code. Which probably has nothing to do with it. My question is, is there supposed to be 3 cables connected or it’s just 2 ( to the alternator )
Old 01-16-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

If the battery warning light turns on when the key is turned to ON and it turns off when the engine is running then you should be okay and your car has a two wire system. The third wire may not be needed. One of the wires comes from the ignition switch and through the warning lights for the test mode and ties to the field windings of the alternator. This causes the battery warning light to turn on with the switch. When the alternator is running the windings charge up and the light goes out unless a problem happens. The second wire should tie to the battery directly for the battery sense voltage. It lets the alternator know the battery charge condition. If the battery voltage is low, the internal regulator allows more power to get to the battery and keep the charge up properly. Three wire systems can use external regulation for the alternator.

Here is a link for the error code:

https://www.engine-codes.com/p0447_subaru.html
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
AllWheelFun
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 497428

The fact that the alternator has a three wire plug on it and only to wires going to it is concerning. A three wire alternator is designed to work with three wires, not two. Is that even the correct alternator for your vehicle? I think that some of the older Imprezas used a 2 wire alternator and the newer ones use a 3 wire alternator. I'm wondering why the plug has been obviously switched out...
AllWheelFun is offline   Reply With Quote