Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 11-29-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
Bluebieru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 520461
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Question No Spark on 2 Cylinders?

so I've got a 2004 wrx with a jdm ej205 single AVCS, and V7 ECU swapped in. The problem im having is im getting no spark in cylinders 3 and 4 (both rear cylinders with the black coil pack connectors).

Heres what I've onfirmed:
1. All 4 coil pack connectors are getting 12V
2. All connector grounds have perfect continuity
3. Using all coil pack on all connectors gives the same result
4. All connectors wires have continuity to the ECU (no shorts with any other pins)

What I cant confirm:
1. Voltage across any 4 signal wires while cranking (to jumpy for my multimeter)
2. Whether or not the ecu is fried
3. Cant confirm Voltages from crank or cam sensors

Also my crank sprocket looks like this, I belive its the correct one for JDM ECUs
Ive been trying to get this car to start for almost 3 weeks but ive hit a wall now. Any advice is welcome, thanks
Bluebieru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:15 AM   #2
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Member#: 53443
Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

In your picture you can see the reluctor cog with the numerous tabs on it behind the belt. Check all those tabs and make sure none of them are broken off the cog. That is what generates the sensor pulses seen by the ECU for the crank position.
Cougar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
Bluebieru
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

I spun the engine by hand and all the teeth are still intact
Old 12-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
Bluebieru
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Is there a chance of it being a faulty ecu, and is there a way to check for that?
Old 12-01-2020, 12:53 PM   #5
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

If all the teeth are intact then we have to assume the proper input signal to the ECU is good. You would need a scope to verify the signal waveform. You stated that swapping the coils makes no difference and power and ground to the coils is good. That seems to indicate that the ECU has a problem and you will need to swap it out to see if that works.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:10 PM   #6
Bluebieru
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

Ok ill have to find someone local with a jdm ecu I can use to check.

In the mean time, just out of curiosity would a faulty crank sensor, cam sensor, or either rear avcs cam sensor, could spark in some cylinders and not others?
Old 12-02-2020, 10:17 PM   #7
Cougar4
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
2001 LL Bean Outback
Winestone

If one coil is working then the other one should work also.

I have another thought. I think your engine has a wasted spark design for the ignition. Have you tried replacing the plug wires on the faulty side. Perhaps one of them is bad.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
Bluebieru
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

I looked into it and this engine isnt wasted spark just stright up coil on plug. But I did check the the wires in the engine harnes, with a multimeter. Both the working and not working connectors are showing 0 ohms between their respected power ground and signal wires. no resistance and no path to ground means a non broken wire right? I cant really switch around the wires because that would involve cutting up the harness, which with my luck will cause more problems than it fixes.

Also I got no luck with a second jdm ecu. Noone i know local has 1 for me to test and the only similar ecu on ebay is $600 which is waaay out of my budget.

Any other suggestions? thanks btw cougar you've been real helpful
Old 04-20-2021, 05:03 PM   #9
Bluebieru
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
Silver

*SOLVED*

I finally figured it out, partially atleast. The engine harness was for somereason missing the ground for the passenger side intake manifold aswell as a ground between the tgv housing and the passenger intake manifold. I bought a new jdm engine harness and now the car starts.