Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 08-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Smave
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212675
Lightbulb Need Advice on adding freon

So i replaced my radiator and in doing so i also replaced my thermostat. When replacing my thermostat i broke a bolt in the thermostat housing and the only way to get it out without pulling the engine out and drilling it was to remove the ac and drill it out. I got it all working but when i removed the ac freon sprayed everywhere when i released the seal. I know i need to refill with r134a (to the best of my knowledge). I have heard that if you opened it though that I would have to vaccum it first. Is this correct? also once vaccumed can I just add freon or is there any other procedures I should do before attemting to do this.
Thanks
Smave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
ciper
Scooby Guru

Member#: 15543
Vehicle:
555 Having a Subaru
shop means too many cars

Why didn't you get a right angle adapter for the drill? I got one for about 20$ at home depot

ciper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
rdodger
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 156447
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
99 18g'd 2.5RS-T
Black

How do you plan on putting it into a vacuum. Any air or moisture in an ac system is killer,I normally leave a vacuum pump running for a half hour to get everything out, and its designed for ac systems. You can also purge the system which is dumping gas in one port and letting it go to asmosphere on the other one to push out all the air and moisture but it wastes alot of freon (and I doubt you get it cheap like us a/c techs do) and is most likely illegal to do on purpose. Your best bet is to find an a/c shop to recharge it and tell them what you did, it will probably only be ~ $30 more than buying freon and hoping it works from a parts store.
rdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Smave
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 212675

@ciper

I havent seen that tool before and it was a pretty tight working space. I will try that if it happens again. Thanks!

@rdoger

I dont plan on putting it on a vaccum myself, i just need to know if i needed to do it or not. I dont want to just refill it with freon and screw it up. Are you saying I need a proffesinal to do this for me(vaccum the system)? By recharge do you mean refill with r134a?
Smave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
rdodger
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 156447
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
99 18g'd 2.5RS-T
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smave View Post
@ciper

I havent seen that tool before and it was a pretty tight working space. I will try that if it happens again. Thanks!

@rdoger

I dont plan on putting it on a vaccum myself, i just need to know if i needed to do it or not. I dont want to just refill it with freon and screw it up. Are you saying I need a proffesinal to do this for me(vaccum the system)? By recharge do you mean refill with r134a?
Yes you HAVE to vacuum it or purge it.Recharge is just the same as saying refill or repressurize.The only reason those diy kits work for vehicles is because even a vehicle that is very low on freon will usually still have some pressure and thus keep moisture and air out. Since you let everything out and thus exposed the sytem to air/moisture is has to be vacuumed with an expensive pump or you need a guage set that will allow you to dump freon out one port and fill through the other which will push all air and moisture out the dump port. Just call around to a few shops and let them know what happened, and that it needs to be evacuated/vaummed and not just a simple recharge. It shouldn't be too spendy. Next time just bend or work around a/c hoses.
rdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
bluerex47
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 73331
Vehicle:
04 wrx
world rally blue

I don't have much of anything to add, but wanted to second everything that rdodger said. I work for a refrigeration company,and have done this job more than a few times, similar to rdodgers a/c tech specialty.

Also to note, somewhere you should have a refrigerant charge sticker (either hood or near the radiator) telling you the amount of refrigerant. This is just for your knowledge as the mechanic should already know that.

Good luck!
bluerex47 is offline   Reply With Quote