Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday June 21, 2018
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 09-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #76
Charlie-III
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 30669
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1998 Legacy 2.5GT
Silver Sleeper BK, 5MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I don't have this issue, but I have read the whole thread.

I don't think the quoted text is correct when going to a faster rack ratio. You are now turning the steering wheel LESS for a given side loading, thus NOT understeering.
If you went to a slower rack ratio, then you would need more steering angle to achieve a given side loading, thus the VDC would guess understeer.

With ANY rack ratio, assuming the alignment is correct, the 4 wheels will always have different speeds since that is based on track, wheelbase and turn radius.

I can see damaged sensors being an issue.
I can see worn wheel bearings being an issue.
I can see low tire pressures being an issue.
I can see loose/worn suspension bits being an issue.
I can see needing to center the SAS.

I don't have your magic bullet to resolve the issue, just thinking on things that may have been overlooked.
Seeing this thread pop up again and I have already replied, a new thought.
I think it's a programming issue, my wife may shoot me.......
I think everyone is on the ragged edge of what the VDC programming allows.
Getting the steering sensor calibrated, assuming the front alignment is within spec, maybe the VDC is such that it senses too much steering angle vs. ABS sensors and trips the VDC or TCS.
Have everything perfect, you are on the edge.
Have a little slop in the steering system, which includes the SAS being a little off, the nannys kick in.

Just my thought.

Curious to see where this goes.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #77
godenzoon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 471264

Well, today I had the allignment fixed and also I went to the local Subaru dealership to get the codes read. The error code is C0017 and when it's erased it instantly came back again.

This particular code indicates an issue with the steering angle sensor. When attached to the Subaru Connect Monitor it showed that the sensor doesn't notice any steering angle at all so teaching it the 'zero point' wasn't possible.

I really don't know what to do... I can't imagine that we broke de sensor during the install of the new rack. A few weeks ago the OEM steering wheel was replaced by a GT Spec one; initially this caused a VDC error but after restarting the car this error didn't come back. And the error didn't come back for weeks.

Do you guys have any advice on what to do next? The most logical next step is to replace the sensor but it costs around $500 so I need to be sure this is the problem. This might be an expensive gamble!
godenzoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #78
Noximus
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 368550
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2009 STI Sport Tech
OBP Limited

Yep, the SAS is dead and it's most likely from when you replaced the steering wheel.

The steering rack just made the issue more pronounced making it just outside of the acceptable range.

I installed a DAMD steering wheel, and a few months later, my steering rack, and have never had any VDC issues at all. It's definitely an install issue.
Noximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 02:02 AM   #79
hired-goon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 458762

Hi all,

Thought I'd chime in and say I had the VDC kicking in during tight turns on my AUDM MY12 Forester with a MY15 STI rack swapped in.

I damaged my angle sensor during install and after replacing had the VDC issue, which I investigated and solved by copying Chinyue's idea to use an Arduino to scale up the signal which I've documented if anyone was interested in doing it themselves.

You can find some information at https://github.com/Phrewfuf/sas-scaler and further discussion/details by visiting the OzFoz forum. If there's interest I can upload the details here directly.

I've been driving for 6 months on the Arduino and it hasn't skipped a beat.
hired-goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #80
godenzoon
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 471264

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you all know that my error messages were caused by a broken steering angle sensor (just as Noximus expected). Yesterday I replaced the sensor and the error code (C0071) disappeared directly.

It's still a bit unclear what caused the sensor to break. A few weeks before installing de 2015 steering rack I installed a GT Spec steering wheel and maybey the sensor was damaged while removing the OEM steering wheel. Another possibility is that I've applied too much force when I tried to remove the knuckle that connects the rack with the steering column. Afterwards someone told me this needs to be done really gently while I had to apply quite some force.

Anyway, everything works great now and I'm really happy with the car's new handling. Steering is much more direct and also a bit heavier which gives me more confidence. IT was definately worth the money and the work!

Ow and a tip: if you also break the steering angle sensor it isn't always necessary to buy a new one. I was able to buy a used one from a Legacy '08 diesel which engine was broken. I understood this sensor is installed in the following models so finding a good used one is very well possible:

- Forester >= MY08 & <= MY13
- WRX >= MY08 & <= MY14
- Legacy >= MY06 & <=MY08
- Impreza hatch >= MY07 & <= MY08

Thanks for your help!
godenzoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #81
obsessionz
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 415387

Hey guys, just checking it to see if this was ever solved? I'm still turning traction control off ever since I installed the rack. I have no error messages. Just have the VDC kicking in around corners.

Please enlighten me if there is a guaranteed 100% fix. lol
obsessionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:16 PM   #82
Fuxcapacitor
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 482337

Hi, new to this (typed screenname too fast; hopefully there's a way to add an "L" at some point

I had almost the exact same issues after a buddy of mine slammed his car into my front left tire causing the steering wheel to then be turned 45 degrees in order to drive straight; ie brakes would randomly kick in to "correct" steer in certain situations. Solution (besides cussing my buddy out) was to get an alignment that included correcting steering wheel angle. All problems then went away. Sooo it sounds like steering angle sensor is highly suspect. Just curious if OP used seat belts to keep steering wheel from turning while installing new rack ? (I'm in the process of installing the '15 rack myself & spotted that that is a necessity). The reason it's important I would guess is that the steering wheel could potentially be turned a full 360 degrees while the rack is off and it would "look" like it was centered while the computer thought otherwise? Just a thought.
Fuxcapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote